Damage

Sakamoto, Fripp, Czukay et al.

Damage

Postby digimarsh on Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:29 am

I have been listening to this album loads latley, i love the version of gone to earth and wave is sublime, David did such a good job remastering this and the sound is amazing for a live album, is this the best "live" album you have heard because i think it's my favourite live album of all time.
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Damage

Postby Bern on Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:22 pm

I agree with you about the quality of the live performances and Fripp's guitar on Wave has an added almost "weeping" element he didn't manage to produce on the studio version,however I think a little like Oil On Canvas that it is so over produced removing virtually all the audience interaction that it is difficult to call it a "live" album
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby digimarsh on Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:39 am

i love the clinical sound myself, the "performance" is superbly captured and when i listen to it a decent volume it feels so real, the lack of audience sound does not really bother me personally,a recording of the performance rather than the event could we say
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:29 pm

I happen to prefer Fripp's original mix of Damage for the very reason that this live album actually sounds 'live'. Granted, the performances are so crisp and tight that one would not be faulted for being under the impression that the music was recorded in a sterile studio. (Plus, I do believe that Fripp went back and 'altered' his solo on 20th Century Dreaming) But in my opinion, Sylvian took it to extremes with his 2002 version: he muffled the slash & burn style of Fripp's guitar and pretty much neutered the power of Pat Mastelotto's drumming by taking away the natural ambience of the venue and basically reducing the sound of his kit to a dry and tiny little set.
That being said, in direct comparison to Damage, I also tend to prefer the sound and band performances from the gig in Japan that was released on laser disc. That performance was much more aggressive in nature and the band was still using the drum programs on certain songs from The First Day. In my opinion, that one seemingly innocuous enhancement turned out to be very necessary in comparison.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby digimarsh on Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:32 pm

To be honest i have not heard the laser disc version of "Damage" , i personally thought the original Damage album circa 94' lacked something, i thought it was not very dynamic, having said that in terms of capturing the essence of a live show and experiencing it then yes i conceed to your point of view.
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Collaborations