Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:57 pm

aw look how cute.... (s)he blushes :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:10 pm

HE. Poor boy is so shy... can't take all the gushing on him. I keep telling him he has to get used to it, but he doesn't listen. cht :P
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:58 pm

aw come here sonic ***MMMMWWWAAAAHHHH*** :smt058 :smt058 :smt058
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sonic_chronicler on Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:29 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:aw look how cute.... (s)he blushes :-)

Hehehe I think I'm a 'he' :lol:

One of the good things about the Porcupine Tree forum is, if you choose to reveal it, you get a little icon showing your gender - saved me some blushes. :wink:

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:57 pm

SONIC.... i sort of assumed you were a guy but ... well didn't want to be too presumptuous. I was just covering all the bases ;-)

you still get a big ol kiss for helping us out so much!!!!!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Bap De La Bap on Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:57 am

I got this last week - Damage 'Live' CD.
Its excellent, good to hear a couple of songs I know and also plenty I dont.
Theres some heavier stuff on here than what I've heard before, overall there is a great atmosphere to this record.
Must've been great to see it.
Att fly är livet, att dröja döden
Bap De La Bap
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ProgRocker on Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:20 am

Damage is an excellent live cd. I actually prefer the studio versions on "The First Day" to the versions on "Damage", but it's still one of my favs. 8)
ProgRocker
Noob
Noob

Postby fletchertronics on Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:33 am

Bap De La Bap wrote:Must've been great to see it...

It was indeed! :-) I was fortunate enough to attend the second night at The Royal Albert Hall, from which the vast majority of this CD was taken.
fletchertronics
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby camphorvan on Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:07 am

I was at the Royal Albert Hall the night damage was recorded and used to have both versions, (except I killed the 1st version by accident). Must say, from memory, I much prefer the Fripp version. It's somehow 'more live' and reflected the live experience much better than the more 'studio-y' Sylvian remix version. The exclusion of Darshan was a shame also. I don't think Jean the Birdman is that great played live.
Overall, though, it has to be amongst my favouite CD's and one I always come back to.
Michael Brook did some guitar abstraction stuff before the main event. I recall waking my friend up. Didn't really need to, though as the force that the Sylvian/Fripp band had live was just amazing. I rarely call anything amazing. But, this was.

Ahhh ho hum. Another cup of tea...
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby fletchertronics on Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:49 am

Further to my post above..... Yes, it is most definitely worth picking up. I would recommend obtaining both versions if you can, as they're different enough to justify the dual purchase.

Re: Packaging - The original (Fripp) version is definitely stronger in this area.

Interestingly, my personal recollection of the live soundboard mix (at the actual show) is that it was closer to David's (2nd edition) version, in as much as the vocal was upfront and the drum sound a little more muted. That said, Robert's mix certainly captures the 'spirit' of the live performance more.
fletchertronics
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby camphorvan on Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:04 am

The RAH has, apparantly, acoustic probs when it comes to rock concerts; depending on where you are sitting. So said Zappa anyway, in a guitar mag interview that was republished a couple of years ago. My recollection is that definately the 1st CD is closer to my experience of the gig, (based on where I was sitting). The drums were totally in your face, (soooo good!), and you could barely hear Daveyboy at some points.
The drum 'thing' that happens on wave though, was a bit confused about that. On the 1st version you can't really hear it, on the 2nd you can. Was it actually played live like that, (don't remember it if it was), or was it post production techno trickery jiggery pokery on sylvian's part?

Also, I have some sections of Live in Japan and I think it's on Every Colour You Are (years since I've watched it), the snare sound is like a 'snap'; was changed by the time it got to the RAH. Just wondered why. Anyone?
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby arieleleven on Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:44 pm

krausy wrote:At your service.....................

I have it---in particular the cd/dvd version. Cd is live in London 12/93 and the dvd is live 10/26/93 in Japan. Some of what is on it is stuff on E&N only live version. I like it simply to hear another version (in this case live) and I also like Fripp. Keep a lookout on ebay for this to come up again---I believe I got mine for about $15.00 or so and is imported.

I just got this same package from ebay and listened to it last night -- this was the first time I had heard any of the music David did with Robert Fripp (remember I am still playing catch-up from the decade+ my status as a Japan fanatic was dormant :-) ). I was and am really, really impressed by what I heard...as much as I love the Sylvian/Sakamoto collaborations, the Sylvian/Fripp one comes awfully close.

And if I may be a fangirl for a moment, David is positively gorgeous in the dvd. But that goes without saying, I suppose. :)
These are years with a genius for living.
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:35 pm

arieleleven wrote:

I have it---in particular the cd/dvd version. Cd is live in London 12/93 and the dvd is live 10/26/93 in Japan. Some of what is on it is stuff on E&N only live version. I like it simply to hear another version (in this case live) and I also like Fripp. Keep a lookout on ebay for this to come up again---I believe I got mine for about $15.00 or so and is imported.

I just got this same package from ebay and listened to it last night -- this was the first time I had heard any of the music David did with Robert Fripp (remember I am still playing catch-up from the decade+ my status as a Japan fanatic was dormant :-) ). I was and am really, really impressed by what I heard...as much as I love the Sylvian/Sakamoto collaborations, the Sylvian/Fripp one comes awfully close.

And if I may be a fangirl for a moment, David is positively gorgeous in the dvd. But that goes without saying, I suppose. :)

Oh yeah he is!!! I chuckle because he looks a bit pudgy on there. I call it his "pregnancy pounds" since Ingrid was very preggers about the time of these shows.

I do enjoy the stuff with Fripp very much. Some don't but I do.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby arieleleven on Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:29 am

krausy wrote:
arieleleven wrote:

Oh yeah he is!!! I chuckle because he looks a bit pudgy on there. I call it his "pregnancy pounds" since Ingrid was very preggers about the time of these shows.

I do enjoy the stuff with Fripp very much. Some don't but I do.

LOL! You're right; he is a bit on the pudgy side at this time. I think I was so busy staring at his face that I didn't notice at first. :-)

Didn't Steve also put on a few extra pounds while Gobi was pregnant? Those Batts certainly are considerate to not let their wives gain weight alone. :)
These are years with a genius for living.
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Collaborations