What's the story? 2 versions of World Citizen.

Sakamoto, Fripp, Czukay et al.

What's the story? 2 versions of World Citizen.

Postby FlyingPig on Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:19 am

Hello,
I stumbled on a live recording from 2003 of World Citizen.
The vocal melody and lyrics are completely different from the 'Babel' version.
Anyone knows the story behind this?
I prefer the newer lyrics, less literally put.

Thanks, Pierre
FlyingPig
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: What's the story? 2 versions of World Citizen.

Postby ob8 on Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:53 pm

I am not sure why there are two versions but you will find them on the cd single. There are two versions, WC and WC i wont be disappointed, perhaps the guys had differing ideas and they were both explored in the two tracks ? There is a long and short version of each track and a remix on there so its well worth tracking down. There was an original release i recall which i got on a Japanese import before the Samadhi release which is in my opinion presented beautifully.
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby FlyingPig on Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:16 am

ob8 wrote:I am not sure why there are two versions but you will find them on the cd single. There are two versions, WC and WC i wont be disappointed, perhaps the guys had differing ideas and they were both explored in the two tracks ? There is a long and short version of each track and a remix on there so its well worth tracking down. There was an original release i recall which i got on a Japanese import before the Samadhi release which is in my opinion presented beautifully.

Thanks, quite informative.
So far, I haven't been able to track down the studio version of the first version of WC. Any idea where I can find it?

Thanks, Pierre
FlyingPig
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ob8 on Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:07 am

Hi Pierre,

i have just had a quick look on amazon.co.uk and both the Samadhi sound and the Japanese original are available from sellers on there. There are a couple of reasonably priced copies on there and some seriously overpriced ones too ! Maybe try Ebay as well.
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby FlyingPig on Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:47 pm

ob8 wrote:Hi Pierre,

i have just had a quick look on amazon.co.uk and both the Samadhi sound and the Japanese original are available from sellers on there. There are a couple of reasonably priced copies on there and some seriously overpriced ones too ! Maybe try Ebay as well.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate.

Pierre
FlyingPig
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby waldoj on Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:08 pm

I had a question regarding this version of "World Citizen": http://www.discogs.com/David-Sylvian-Ry ... se/1647751

As you can see the first 5 tracks are the same as the standard release, but there are some bonus tracks. "Forbidden Colours" has a different running time to the original version, and I have heard that it is a live recording, but I can't seem to find when or where it was recorded. Can anyone shed some light on this?
waldoj
Noob
Noob

Postby karnsculpture on Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:22 am

It's probably the version from "Cinemage" by Sakamoto, which is a live recording of 'Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence' from the 1997 Playing The Orchestra tour with Sylvian singing over the top (studio recording). So it's not a true live performance.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby waldoj on Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:12 am

The running time matches that of the 1997 Cinemage release as well, so your educated guess is a very good one. That semi-live rendition is also very nice (though it is hard to perform that song badly ;))
waldoj
Noob
Noob

Return to Collaborations