Takahashi/Jansen work on CD???

Sakamoto, Fripp, Czukay et al.

Takahashi/Jansen work on CD???

Postby sexandpolitics on Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:26 pm

Where does the song 'Stay Close' come from?
Tell me Steve and Yukihiro make an entire album together?
I MUST HAVE IT ON CD!
Does anybody have a copy or know where to find one?
Also, has Steve done any work with Masami Tsuchiya? Eh? Huh?

To those who have seen the music video for 'Stay Close', don't you love the part where STEVE IS SHAKING HIS DELICIOUS RUMP?!?!?!

Alright, I better calm down now.

Morgen
sexandpolitics
Regular
Regular

Postby Silver Moon on Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:43 pm

Hello, and welcome to the boards!

I have also been wondering the same thing! I know you can get it here but I haven't been able to locate it anywhere else... I would also like to know if this is just a single, or if it's the whole album, because I'm thinking of ordering it, Along with The Dolphin Brothers!

-K-

PS: I love the part when they are dancing! Makes me grin ear to ear.
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby heartofdavid on Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:23 pm

Jansen and Takahashi recorded a cd together called "Pulse", that was from 1999.

I'm not sure where "Stay Close" comes from or if it was a one shot single. I have a few Takahashi albums (old vinyl) but it's not on those. I know there's a live Takahashi album which has that song, don't know if Steve is on that version but Steve frequently toured with Takahashi, taking the drumming role from Takahashi to leave him free to sing.

Takahashi's albums are fun, quite pop in sound, and he also did work with The Beatniks.

I've not heard of Jansen recording with Masami, not very familiar with his solo stuff except for "Tokyo Ballet" and a couple of Ippu-Du lps.

Yeah, I want to know as well about "Stay Close!"
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sonic_chronicler on Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:38 pm

It was a 'one off' single released in 1986 licensed from Pan East Records (same people who did the Worlds In A Small Room album) It came out in the UK on RIME records RIME 1

I bought the 12" when it came out, it was a three track single:
Stay Close
Betsu-Ni
Stay Close (Weirder World)

It was later reissued in 1991 on CD in Japan only on Pony Canyon/Tent again it was a 3 track with the same versions.

I'm quite surprised to see it still available at Amazon. It is very 80's sounding IMHO, but that's not always a bad thing.

It pre-dated the Dolphin Brothers by about a year, so it is (I think) Steve's first appearance as a lead vocalist.

If you haven't heard the Dolphin Brothers album - grab hold of it, there are some great songs on it. It's usually dirt cheap in the UK.

Some of the vocals are uncannily close to David's - probably most pronounced on 'My Winter'

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:21 am

An interesting factlet; up until early summer of 1987, the Dolphin Brothers were going by the name The Grey Scale, had already been comments to the press using this name.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Takahashi/Jansen work on CD???

Postby kinki on Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:34 am

sexandpolitics wrote:To those who have seen the music video for 'Stay Close', don't you love the part where STEVE IS SHAKING HIS DELICIOUS RUMP?!?!?!

Alright, I better calm down now.

Morgen

Hahahaha! I need to see this video now. NOW, I tell you! Is it on YouTube or anything? (Im going through a bit of a Steve phase at the moment.)
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sexandpolitics on Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:53 am

kinki wrote: Hahahaha! I need to see this video now. NOW, I tell you! Is it on YouTube or anything? (Im going through a bit of a Steve phase at the moment.)

I bought this 2 disc DVD set off of Ebay (it's homemade so I'm not sure about the legalities of this situation) it's about 40 of the rarest Japan and Japan associated music videos: Dalis Car, Karn/Midge Ure's 'After a Fashion', Dolphin Brothers 'Shining', Jansen/Takahashi's 'Stay Close', Karn/Numan's 'She's Got Claws', all of the Japan and David Sylvian solo stuff, etc. etc. The video quality does vary, but it's not like I could find something like this anywhere else, so I bought it for around $30. What a steal... I would do anything for more Japan.

Also, has anybody read the biography on David Sylvian or Simon Napier-Bell's "White Powder Black Vinyl"?

Anybody want to give me their copy? I'll burn you the DVD's...
sexandpolitics
Regular
Regular

Postby kinki on Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:59 am

Oh silly me - I have that collection! It's a week or so since I last watched it and Id forgotten Stay Close was on it....oops. Ah well, good excuse to watch it tonight...

Im surrently reading 'The Last Romantic' if that's the one you mean? It's very good - worth buying.

Id also very much like to read the Simon Naper Bell book, thanks for reminding me about it.
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby arieleleven on Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:26 am

sonic_chronicler wrote:It was a 'one off' single released in 1986 licensed from Pan East Records (same people who did the Worlds In A Small Room album) It came out in the UK on RIME records RIME 1

I bought the 12" when it came out, it was a three track single:
Stay Close
Betsu-Ni
Stay Close (Weirder World)

It pre-dated the Dolphin Brothers by about a year, so it is (I think) Steve's first appearance as a lead vocalist.

From what I understand, Steve's first recorded appearance as lead vocalist was actually in 1985, on the song Move In Circles from the Japanese pressing of the LP Worlds In A Small Room. I imagine this song is also available on the Japanese cd of this album, but I don't know where else it might be found....does anyone else know? I have the LP and it's a very pretty song...lyrics set to the instrumental Moving Circles which I believe is found on all versions of this album.
These are years with a genius for living.
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby arieleleven on Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:35 am

sexandpolitics wrote:To those who have seen the music video for 'Stay Close', don't you love the part where STEVE IS SHAKING HIS DELICIOUS RUMP?!?!?!

LOL! He also looks like a mean ping pong player. :-)

I finally saw this video for the first time ever recently and I have to say I have not been this entertained in quite awhile, hee.
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:08 am

arieleleven wrote:I have the LP and it's a very pretty song...lyrics set to the instrumental Moving Circles which I believe is found on all versions of this album.

I have the Canadian LP on Attic Records, it has both versions of Moving Circles. No insert or information inside the jacket though, just a clear plastic sleeve. Does your's have anything inside? My copy also has the ugliest cover, black with a white swirl, their names across the top in gray; but a beautiful photo on the back.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby arieleleven on Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:22 am

[quote="heartofdavidI have the Canadian LP on Attic Records, it has both versions of Moving Circles. No insert or information inside the jacket though, just a clear plastic sleeve. Does your's have anything inside? My copy also has the ugliest cover, black with a white swirl, their names across the top in gray; but a beautiful photo on the back.[/quote]

Thanks, heartofdavid! It's great to know there is at least one more possible source to find both these songs on this album. My copy has two sheets inside -- one is entirely in Japanese on one side and the other side has the lyrics to Move In Circles in English. The other sheet has lovely color photos of Steve and Rich respectively on each side.

My album cover looks exactly like yours...nice shot on the back, though, at least, eh?
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:28 am

arieleleven wrote:My album cover looks exactly like yours...nice shot on the back, though, at least, eh?

I just posted that back cover pic, it's lovely. :)

I picked this up in Canada when it was released, I have family in Toronto (I live near Chicago). Japan had quite a following in Canada, better remembered there than in the States.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby arieleleven on Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:44 am

heartofdavid wrote:
arieleleven wrote:My album cover looks exactly like yours...nice shot on the back, though, at least, eh?

I picked this up in Canada when it was released, I have family in Toronto (I live near Chicago). Japan had quite a following in Canada, better remembered there than in the States.

Thanks for posting that pic, I agree, it really is lovely!

That's so great that you have family in Toronto -- isn't it a wonderful place? I love that city so much and almost moved there in 1989. I had friends there going back to the late 70s and they too were huge Japan fans...seems like they always had better musical taste in Canada overall than the US, doesn't it?

Chicago is a great city, too -- when I lived in Michigan we used to road trip to both Chicago and Toronto as often as we could manage. :)
Last edited by arieleleven on Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby arieleleven on Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:33 am

heartofdavid wrote:

I just tried to upload the photos of Steve and Rich from the enclosure inside my LP, but alas, it's too big for my scanner. :(
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Collaborations