Takahashi/Jansen work on CD???

Sakamoto, Fripp, Czukay et al.

Postby heartofdavid on Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:21 pm

arieleleven wrote:I had friends there going back to the late 70s and they too were huge Japan fans...seems like they always had better musical taste in Canada overall than the US, doesn't it?

Chicago is a great city, too -- when I lived in Michigan we used to road trip to both Chicago and Toronto as often as we could manage. :)

Seems Canada was a little more broadminded about what the masses would be allowed to hear. Radio in the States sucks, not worth talking about; all the strange little indie stations are gone and the college stations who used to play a variety are mostly rap/hip-hop or techno.

I'll go off on a rant in a moment if I don't watch myself, but the web as the great equalizer hasn't changed things much. The stuff is out there, as it always has been. What's needed is a source to lead you to it, which is what radio used to do.

The one Canadian artist I really liked who never made it here is Gowan; Moonlight Desires and Criminal Mind are videos I remember seeing when in Canada during the 80s, so I picked up several of his albums.

I live about 35 miles southwest of Chicago, but I grew up in the city.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby arieleleven on Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:26 pm

heartofdavid wrote:Seems Canada was a little more broadminded about what the masses would be allowed to hear. Radio in the States sucks, not worth talking about; all the strange little indie stations are gone and the college stations who used to play a variety are mostly rap/hip-hop or techno.

The one Canadian artist I really liked who never made it here is Gowan; Moonlight Desires and Criminal Mind are videos I remember seeing when in Canada during the 80s, so I picked up several of his albums.

I totally agree with everything you say here re: US radio and the web.

I have heard of Gowan but don't know how much of his music I have ever actually heard...I will have to check him out -- better late than never, hopefully. :-) Thanks for mentioning him.
These are years with a genius for living.
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Previous

Return to Collaborations