Favourite Nine Horses "SBS" song?

Sakamoto, Fripp, Czukay et al.

What is your favourite song from Snow Borne Sorrow?

Wonderful World
17%
Darkest Birds
17%
The Banality of Evil
No votes
Atom and Cell
6%
A History of Holes
14%
Snow Borne Sorrow
28%
The Day the Earth Stole Heaven
6%
Serotonin
3%
The Librarian
11%

Total votes : 36

Re: Favourite Nine Horses "SBS" song?

Postby dconnery1966 on Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:01 pm

Atom and Cell, awesome song then the librarian,then the Banality of Evil,which was on the the film No23 starrring Jim Carrey, which apparently was released on the 23rd of February,which is the date of Sylvians birthday, very strange.
all the best Dougie
dconnery1966
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby gokartmozart on Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:33 pm

"Darkest Birds" is the one I was most impressed by, and I really like the lyrics, but I find myself singing "Wonderful World" in a low voice at work, so I voted for WW. Probably it is the melody which does it.

Very much, me thinks, the kind of melody perfectly fit for the Japan reunion concert album (Oil On Canvas, Ver. 2.0)! :-D
"The world is a king, and, like a king, desires flattery in return for a favor; but true art is selfish and perverse - it will not submit to the mold of flattery." Ludwig von Beethoven
gokartmozart
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby becky on Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:55 pm

Oohh, this was a tough choice because every song on the album is brilliant. But I plumped for Snow borne sorrow in the end...probably a circumstantial choice of the moment since I'm right in the middle of going through a painful and acrimonious divorce, so this song has taken on a whole new relevance for me! Never has it been so apt and it's become a bit of an anthem for me recently...I can physically feel the pain in his voice and the lyrics are just masterful....the way he manages to distill and crystalise such messy, confused emotional experiences into such beautifully concise poetry with lines such as "Strip the branches, unsheathe he hatches, the threads of friendship are coming off - the teeth of lawyers, man the trenches, bands of betrothal are coming off' . I am truly in awe of his genius....I'm still in a 'Serotonin' state at the moment and so could not imagine how anyone could go through this and manage to be so articulate about it! This album has been a life saver for me. I bow down to the feet of Mr.Sylvian - archetypal 'wounded healer'...It's funny, so many of my friends cannot understand why I would want to listen to such 'depressing music' at this time...but somehow Sylvian manages to tap into something so universal it is really comforting and reassuring to know that someone else has been through it and lived to tell the tale...
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby missouriman on Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:02 pm

You can really hear the love in Sylvian's voice on "Snow Borne Sorrow". It just burns you. :smt010
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re:

Postby becky on Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:18 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:this may seem weird.... but do other people love the song snow borne sorrow because of the line ..."let the children come to me" or am i just a freak and love the emotionality in that statement??

I can completely relate to what you mean Gods...I don't even have kids, but the raw emotion in his voice when he sings these lines just breaks my heart - every time hear it...especially when his voice cracks slightly when he follows it with 'Oh honey'...the subtlety of that the use of voice...that line could be so sickenly schmaltzy but the way he delivers it just says so much...imploring for compassion...'I love my kids, for God's sake woman - think of them, think of me!''. I love the way the music switches so severely back and forth between austere, cold, aggressive and discordant when it's about the divorce and then beautiful, innocent, and melodic when it's about it turns to the subject of custody of the children....it's like an aural Kramer Vs Kramer.... And then the austere, aggressive gets all jumbled up with the gentle melodic phrases...capturing the complexity of all those confused emotions...bloody brilliatn craftsmanship!
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby becky on Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:28 pm

[quote="becky"] sorry - 'unsheathe he hatches, should have been Unsheathe the hatchets' of course!!! Maybe I'm more in 'Linoleum' state than 'Seratonin' at the mo, bit to much red wine to type coherently... Only fit for pacing around on my kitchen floor at the moment!
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby proggrl on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:23 pm

mmmm... Linoleum is the sexiest song ever written - with red wine, I would be dangerous! :-D
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:55 am

proggrl wrote:mmmm... Linoleum is the sexiest song ever written - with red wine, I would be dangerous! :-D

This song is amazing also wonderful world,transit and the sexiest song ever messenger. the spoken bit kills me every time.
neonico

Postby Nicrobliz on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:05 pm

'Wonderful World' gets my vote. 'Snow Borne Sorrow' is a mess - two or three song segments unconvincingly stitched together.

'Birds Sing For Their Lives' would be a close second. Yeah, I know Stina Nordenstam's on both tracks but that's just a lucky coincidence... :D
Nicrobliz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby neonico on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:09 pm

[quote="Nicrobliz"]'Wonderful World' gets my vote. 'Snow Borne Sorrow' is a mess - two or three song segments unconvincingly stitched together.

'Birds Sing For Their Lives' would be a close second. Yeah, I know Stina Nordenstam's on both tracks but that's just a lucky coincidence... :D[/quote

Wonderful world and snow born sorrow :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
neonico

Postby becky on Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:41 am

[quote="Nicrobliz"]. 'Snow Borne Sorrow' is a mess - two or three song segments unconvincingly stitched together.

'I think Snow Borne Sorrow has been composed like that deliberately.
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Nicrobliz on Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:11 am

becky wrote:
Nicrobliz wrote:. 'Snow Borne Sorrow' is a mess - two or three song segments unconvincingly stitched together.

It's still a mess.
Nicrobliz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Hawk on Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:05 pm

I adore Snow Borne Sorrow. Been resisting downloading the single track from Samadhisound as saving up for the whole album. I don't know why but it's one of those songs I'd rather not think about too much and just hear it and feel it and appreciate it like a passing ghost or sensation. I still don't feel I've felt a tenth of the emotions voiced by Sylvian. It will probably be a track that develops within me for a good few decades to come.
Hawk
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby becky on Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:46 pm

Nicrobliz wrote:
becky wrote:
Nicrobliz wrote:. 'Snow Borne Sorrow' is a mess - two or three song segments unconvincingly stitched together.

It's still a me :-D ss.

:smt045 I understand what you mean...but I think he was probably in a bit of an emotional mess when he wrote it...so it reflects 'the mess' if you know what I mean...maybe I'm prepared to allow him this artistic license...cos going through a divorce myself at the mo - I'm in a mess and SBS speaks all too clearly to me... about...bein' in a mess! :smt043
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Nicrobliz on Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:25 pm

becky wrote:I understand what you mean...but I think he was probably in a bit of an emotional mess when he wrote it...so it reflects 'the mess' if you know what I mean...maybe I'm prepared to allow him this artistic license...cos going through a divorce myself at the mo - I'm in a mess and SBS speaks all too clearly to me... about...bein' in a mess! :smt043

Hey becky, I'm very sorry to hear that. I really hope you're coping the best you possibly can. Hang in there! :)

I'm sure David was well aware of what he was doing (after all, SOTB was written under similar circumstances). However, I can see your point about it possibly being deliberate. I actually like certain segments of the song. I think my problem with it are the uneven transitions from one segment to another - they jar me too much. This is something that David's previous work has never done.

I just think SBS had potential to be better than the actual finished product.
Nicrobliz
Fanatic
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Collaborations