Sylvian, Sakamoto, Bowie?

Sakamoto, Fripp, Czukay et al.

Sylvian, Sakamoto, Bowie?

Postby Chet on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:50 am

I always wondered why Ryuichi wanted David Sylvian to sing the end theme to Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence.
Why didn't he ask David Bowie? Or where they bored with each other after spending time together filming all day long...
Last edited by Chet on Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:02 am

could it be that david and ryuichi had/have a good working relationship and ryuichi believed david's voice would lend something to the work another artists would not?
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:16 pm

Don't get me wrong, I love David Bowie, but not because I think he's the best singer in the world - maybe Ryuichi wanted what I call that 'sing the phone book' quality and The Blue Nile's Paul Buchanan was busy... :wink:

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:10 pm

I think I've found the answer to this Chet! Check out this interview with Bowie done at the time Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence was released. It's over 10 minutes long, but the most relevant part in connection to your question is at 6.40:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsyUR4X4UQY

Astronaut
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:58 am

thanks Astronaut
great interview, and yes, more or less the aswers to my wonderings...
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby E.T. on Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:04 pm

Sakamoto asked David in sound street interview, what he will do in January and February 1983.
then Sakamoto knew David will do song writing in February 1983, so sakamoto thought david is available in February... for my imagination.
maybe Forbidden Colours were recorded in February 1983, I guess.

I found an old magazine, Viva Rock May 1983, it says David came to Japan on Valentine's Day (woo hoo!), to say "I love you Ryu :smt049 " ... it's my joke. David stayed Japan for 9 days for recording Forbidden Colours. Then David backed to London on February 23th (his birthday?) from Narita Airport.

sorry my English
whatever gets you through the night
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:52 pm

E.T. thanks for that.... glad you gave us that information.... Gosh doesn't 1983 seem like yesterday when it is SO long ago.....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:59 pm

thanks you so much E.T.
this is great info...
and, I thought it's still 1983, and will always be. no?
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:48 pm

Chet wrote:thanks you so much E.T.
this is great info...
and, I thought it's still 1983, and will always be. no?

well it still is in my head... does that count??? Tee hee hee
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby E.T. on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:35 am

if you don't mind, I'd like to post the article, but it might be Japanese...
It's too hard for me to translate the article.

you can use your favorite translation software, like babelfish...
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:41 am

yes
please
do it E.T.
do it!
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby E.T. on Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:53 am

O.K. I'll try.

Viva Rock 1983 May(5)

DAVID SYLVIAN

83年2月 
たった9日間の極秘来日---
いったい何があったんだろう

坂本龍一の依頼で、映画 『戦場のメリー・クリスマス』 の主題歌を吹き込んでいたのダ。

デヴィッド・シルヴィアンが坂本龍一とレコーディングするために単独で来日するという連絡を受けたのは、2月14日の午前中だった。教授が音楽を担当、そして自ら主要キャラクターを演ずる出演者として参加した日英合作映画 『戦場のメリ-クリスマス』 のメイン・テーマ曲の作詞及びヴォーカル、レコーディングであるということも同時に知らされたのである。
 昨年12月の日本ツアーの際、デヴィッドは常に物静かだった。普段もさして口数は多くないけど、あの時の彼には何か人を寄せつけない雰囲気があった。もちろん、話しかければあのなんともすがすがしい笑みを満面にたたえて答えてくれるのだが、すぐに自分一人の世界へ戻ってしまう。
 あれから約2ヶ月、東銀座の 『オンキョー・ハウス』 で会ったデヴィッドは、キラキラと光っていた。喋り方や振舞い、仕草、どこをとっても一人の人間としての魅力を感じさせずにはいられない、そんな明るさがあった。サナギから蝶へ、という表現は時代がかった匂いがするけど、装飾品として立派に通用していたダイヤモンドが一流の職人の手によってカットしなおされ、見ちがえるほど輝きを増した、そんなデヴィッドだった。
 来日した翌日、ヘラルド映画の試写室で、『戦場のメリークリスマス』 を観たデヴィッドは、サウンド・トラックのカセット・コピーをホテルに持ち帰って、一晩で詞を書きあげた。詞のタイトルもデヴィッドが考えた。
 『FORBIDDEN COLOURS』 (邦題 「禁じられた色彩」)。 三島由紀夫の作品 『禁色』 からインスパイアされたという。
 男同士の憎悪、そして愛情、極限状態に置かれた人間の心理、感情交流の綾をテーマとした映画にピッタリの内容だ。

翌日には早速レコーディング。すでに完成していたインストルメンタル・ヴァージョンを、教授がミックスし直す。その後ろでデヴィッドが教授の作業を見守っている。時折、うしろを振り返る教授にむかって、デヴィッドは大きくうなずく。教授の才能に全幅の信頼を寄せているのだ。デヴィッドと教授の共同プロジェクトは、今回が3回目になる。1回目は 『孤独な影』 のレコーディング。 「アイランズ・イン・アフリカ」 を教授が作曲し、デヴィッドが詞を書いた。2回目は 「バンブー・ハウス」 のレコーディング。そして今回。
 全2作はいずれもデヴィッドのプロジェクトに教授が協力、参加した訳だが、今回はその反対。ヴォーカル・ヴァージョンを制作する企画が持ち上がった際、ヴォーカリスト及び作詞家の候補として教授が最初に思い浮かべたのがデヴィッドだったのだ。教授の依頼を受けたデヴィッドは、ためらうことなくOKしたのだった。
 ある程度納得のゆくミックスが仕上がったところで、教授がデヴィッドに合図した。本格的なヴォーカル録りは後日に予定されていたが、とりあえず歌を入れてみようというのだ。ミルク・ティーを一口飲んで、デヴィッドはスタジオへ入っていった。少々風邪気味のデヴィッドであったが、難なく歌いこなし、この日の予定を終了。そのままレコード化してもいいような出来映えだった。
 デヴィッドにジャパンのライヴ・アルバムのことをきいてみた。日本ツアー後、ロンドンに帰ったメンバーはクリスマスと新年を思い思いに迎えた後、1月6日からトラック・ダウンに入ったという。かなり入念な作業を繰り返して完成されたアルバムは、2枚組ライヴ・アルバムとして発売される。
 収録曲は15曲という大作。このうち新曲が3曲収録されている。いずれもこのアルバムの為にレコーディングされたもので、3曲ともインストルメンタル・ナンバー。アルバムのオープニングとエンディング、そして一枚目のB面ラストを飾っている。このB面ラストの曲は、コンサートに参加した聴衆の反応をテーマにして作ったものだという。
 アルバム・タイトルは『ジャパン・メモリアル・ライブ~オイル・オン・キャンバス』。ライブ・レコーディングされたマスター・テープに最後の仕上げをしてゆく作業が、真っ白いキャンバスに絵具を塗って一枚の絵を創りあげることを連想させるということから命名された。
 「ただコンサートの雰囲気を捉えたアルバムというのではなく、スタジオ作品と同じような完成度の高さをもった、ジャパンの集大成、総決算にしたかったんだ」、デヴィッドはそう説明してくれた。

仮唄のレコーディングの翌日は、ジャケット用の写真撮影だった。冬の東京にしては珍しく本格的に雨が降ったこの日、六本木の『飯倉スタジオ』に関係者全員が集まった。デヴィッドも定刻にスタジオに到着してスタンバイ。カメラのセッティングをしている間、彼はコーヒーを飲んだり衣装をチェックしたりしている。
 彼は〝待つ〟ことには慣れている。コンサートでもテレビ出演でも、あるいは写真撮影でも異常に待ち時間は長いものだ。わずか30分の為に3~4時間またされることは珍しくない。しかも大抵の場合、一ヵ所に缶ヅメになったままなのだ。
 そんな時デヴィッドはいつも静かに待ち続けている。周囲で働いているスタッフの作業を見守っていたり、なにか考え事をしていたり‚Ķ‚Ķ。スターでありながら周りの人間の迷惑にならないように、空気のような存在になってしまう、そんな感じだ。
 写真のパターンは2タイプ。黒の衣装にグリーンのバックと、白っぽい衣装に白バック。デヴィッド自身は、グリーン・バックの写真が気に入ったようだ。教授にもその雰囲気が伝わっている。
 不思議なことに、デヴィッドと教授は普段さほど言葉を交さない。クリエイティブな人間同士だから言葉がいらないのか、それとも2人の感性が本当にマッチしているのか、2人の意思の疎通には言葉がほとんど必要ないようだ。サウンド面でもヴィジュアル面でも、一方が求めているモノが直感的にわかってしまう。そうとしか思えないような2人の共同作業だ。

翌日はヴォーカル・レコーディング。デヴィッドの風邪も、どうやら治りかけてきたようだ。ヴォーカル・ブースにこもること約1時間、教授のOKが出た。本人も満足気。すべて順調に進行している。
 そしてレコーディング最後の日は最終的な調整作業と弦楽器のカブセ。この日の作業はプロデューサーである教授がすべてを行う日で、本来ならばデヴィッドは参加する必要がなかったのだが、時間どうりスタジオに姿を現し、終日、教授の作業を見守っていた。今回のプロジェクトにかけるデヴィッドの意気込みはかなり熱っぽい。デヴィッド自身、「ボクの歌の中でも最高の出来だ。絶対の自信がある」とまで言いきっているほどだ。
 2月23日、成田を飛び立ったデヴィッドは一路ロンドンへ。彼の頭の中は今後のソロ活動の予定でギッシリ、その一部はすでに始まっているという。ジャパンの活動に一応のくぎりをつけ、グループのまとめ役としての大役を果たしたデヴィッド、彼は再び歩き始めた、一人で‚Ķソロ・アルバムの発表は秋だという。
Last edited by E.T. on Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:45 pm, edited 6 times in total.
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby E.T. on Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:55 am

1983 Viva Rock May(5)

DAVID SYLVIAN

February, 83  
Absolute secrecy visit to Japan - - - of only nine days
On earth there would be what

which a movie inspired with a theme song of "Mary Christmas of the battlefield (Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence) " by the request of Ryuichi Sakamoto.

It was the morning on February 14 that I received communication to visit Japan alone so that David Silvian cut a record with Ryuichi Sakamoto. A professor (Sakamoto) was in charge of music and was informed of that the Japanese-to-English collaboration movie which he participated in as the performer who played main character was words of the main theme music on "Merry Christmas of the battlefield (merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence)" and a vocalist, recording at the same time by oneself.
 In the case of a Japanese tour of last December, David was always quiet. It usually shined, and, as for the number of persons, there was the atmosphere that did not allow an anything person to come near to him of that time though there was not much it. Of course I can talk and am full of a very refreshing smile of the grandmother on the whole face and answer, but come back to the world of the oneself alone immediately.
 David who met in "onkyo house" of Higashiginza from that for about 2 months shined. There was such a brightness that cannot help letting I took talking and behavior, gesture, where and feel charm as one human being. It was such David whom a diamond used as personal ornaments magnificently was cut as for the expression from a chrysalis to a butterfly by the hand of the first-class craftsman again though an antique-looking smell did it, and added to brightness beyond recognition.
 David who watched "Mary Christmas of the battlefield" the next day in the preview room of the Herald movie who visited Japan brought the cassette copy of the sound truck at the hotel and finished writing words in a night. David thought about the title of words.
 "FORBIDDEN COLOURS (a title in Japanese forbidden" color).It is said that inspire was considered to be it from work "prohibited color" of Yukio Mishima.
 It is the contents which are good to the movie which featured the theme of hatred between men and love, human psychology put in the extreme state, intricate design of the feelings interchange.

They cut a record at once on the next day. A professor mixes the instrumental version that was already completed again. David watches the work of the professor in the back. Toward the professor who occasionally looks back toward the back, David nods greatly. He send the trust of the overall width to the talent of the professor. As for the joint project of David and the professor, this time becomes the third. It is recorded "a lonely shadow (Gentlemen take polaroids)" on the first.  A professor composed "Taking Islands in Africa", and David wrote words. It is recorded "the bamboo house" on the second. And it is this time.
 As for all the 2 product, a professor cooperates with a project of David both, and is the reason why participated in,; but this time is the objection. When a plan to produce a vocalist version happened, it was David vocalist and that a professor remembered as a candidate of the songwriters first. David who received the request of the professor OK it without hesitating.
 Mixture to go for of the assent was finished, and a professor signaled David to some extent. Recording it was planned for the future, but a full-scale vocalist is to put a song first of all. David took one share of milk tea, and David went into the studio. It was David of the slight cold, but he sing without a difficulty and finish the plan of this day a little. It was the workmanship that might just become a record.
 I asked David Live Album of the Japan. After a Japanese tour, as for the member who returned to London, it is said that they were in the track down from January 6 after having greeted Christmas and the New Year freely. The album which I repeat considerably elaborate work, and was finished is released as group of two pieces Live Album.
 Collecting music is a masterpiece of 15 pieces. Of these, three pieces of new songs are recorded. With a thing recorded for this album both, it is the instrumental number with three pieces. tracks are displayed opening and ending of the album and the first piece of B side last . It is said that the music of this B side last features the theme of reaction of the audience who participated in the concert and made it.
 The album title "Japan memorial live - oil on canvas." The work that did live broadcasting of the last finish in recorded master tape was named by reminding you of painted a pure white canvas with paint, and making the picture of the one flake.
 "Collected studies of the Japan which had height of the completeness similar to a studio work not the album which merely captured the atmosphere of the concert, general settlement of account, that I wanted", David explained so it.

It was photography for jackets the next day of the recording of the temporary song. It rained unusually in earnest for Tokyo of the winter; all concerned gathered in "the Iigura studio" of Roppongi on that day. David arrives at the studio on schedule, too and stands by. While they do the setting of the camera, he drinks coffee and checks clothes.
 "waiting for" particularly fits him. Even as for appearing on television or even photography is abnormally a long thing in the concert in waiting time. It is not unusual for him to be kept waiting for three or four hours for only 30 minutes. They are shutting themselves up in most cases, one place, besides.
 David always waits on calmly in such a case. he watch work of the staff working with circumference and think about something what it is‚Ķ‚Ķ. It is such a feeling that comes to seem to be air not to be a nuisance to the human being of the circumference while being a star.
 Two types of patterns of a photograph. that is black clothes to green background and whitish clothes to white background. David oneself seems to have liked a photograph of a green background. The atmosphere is handed down to a professor.
 Strangely, David and a professor do not usually exchange words so much. Words seem to be almost needless for two mutual understanding whether words are not necessary because it is creative fellow creature or whether two sensitivity really matches it. Even as to sound understands the thing which one demands even a visual aspect from intuitively. It is two collaboration that it can think so of.

It is vocalist recording the next day. A cold of David almost seems to have been cured somehow or other, too. For thing about one hour when a vocalist booth was full, OK of the professor was given. Mind satisfactory as for the person himself. It is worse smoothly entirely.
 And the adjustment work that is last on the day of the recording last and the coating of the stringed instrument. The work of this day did not have to originally participate in mule David by the day when the professor who was a producer took all, but I appeared in the studio on time and watched the work of the professor daylong. The enthusiasm of David running for this project is considerably passionate. I finish saying David oneself in this way. It "is the best result in my song. I am confident of the absolute."
David who flew away from Narita on February 23 straight to London. It is said that the part has already begun in his head closely by a plan of the future solo activity. With nobody that he added a tentative end to activity of the Japan, and David, he who carried out an important role as the mediator of the group have begun to walk again…As for the announcement of the solo album, it is said in autumn.
Last edited by E.T. on Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:57 pm, edited 13 times in total.
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:03 am

thank you so much E.T.
i got alot more than I asked for originally.
I'm more than satisfied. thanks again...
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby E.T. on Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:01 pm

you're welcome. :D
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Collaborations