Winter Magic: David Sylvian On Collaborating With Holger Czu

Sakamoto, Fripp, Czukay et al.

Winter Magic: David Sylvian On Collaborating With Holger Czu

Postby Blemished on Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:59 am

David has posted a link to his essay for The Quietus - about working with Holger on P&P/F&M and more generally:

http://thequietus.com/articles/24916-david-sylvian-holger-czukay-plight-premonition

This is really great - I have to say I haven't enjoyed reading something about or by David as much as this in a while. It's almost all you might want were he ever to write an autobiography - captures the atmosphere, the process and tools of creation, the personalities...

Anthony Reynold's forthcoming biography about Japan/David - part 2 - is a wonderful read too, but more on that to come..

I felt quite sad reading in the Electronic Sound interview about how David and Holger were estranged in recent years, which I think related perhaps to Holger getting older and having to care for his wife (I think she suffered a long-term illness). So reading this - which captures them at the peak of their collaboration - and seeing some of the photos David's posted recently of Holger is a great tonic.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Winter Magic: David Sylvian On Collaborating With Holger Czu

Postby javier on Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:16 am

What an absolutely brilliant piece of writing. So engaging, full of atmosphere and painting a beautiful impression of what became such a significant moment on his creative path. I'd love to read more in this vein.

Even a rather short autobiography - with a similarly evocative essay documenting/reflecting on the context of each album or tour, and the ideas emerging from that time - would be wonderful.
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: Winter Magic: David Sylvian On Collaborating With Holger Czu

Postby Foales Arishes on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:57 am

Very nice piece...

There is a new interview (6 page article) with David on this collaboration in the current issue of 'Electronic Sound' magazine [issue 42] https://electronicsound.co.uk/

It says on their site that its out of stock, but I picked up a copy in WH Smiths in Devon this morning, so there are copies around if interested.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Collaborations