Gotta Say....

Dolphin Brothers, JBK, Rob Dean, and others...

Gotta Say....

Postby Tanya80 on Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:43 pm

that i'm probably the only Japaniac, who doesn't own any of the guys solo albums & side projects :(, last year, i came upon videos & downloads of their solo & side projects on You Tube & other sites, but i think, they're cool......i'm hoping i'll be able get some of their solo materials later this year....
Tanya80
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby tallulahtaurus on Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:17 pm

I am in the same position everything from the other guys's solo stuff that I have been exposed to is so good. I want it but I am hampered by an utter lack of money at the moment....I want the Dolphin Brothers album in particular for some reason at the moment - I forget why now because I haven't actually heard anything from it, but I really wantses it....gah I'll just have to wait I guess I'm sure it will be worth it.
"This island of blue
Where life clings to your hands
Like water and sand
Will loose it's way when you're gone"
tallulahtaurus
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby camphorvan on Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:03 pm

I actually think Sylvian's solo work far outweighs the quality of Japan's. Starters might be Secrets of the Beehive, or Snow Borne Sorrow by Nine Horses. As for the Dolphin Brothers album, I have that on vinyl and I've never really rated it apart from the songs Catch the Fall and one about a river, which I can't remember the title of at the moment. It seemed quite erm...how can I say...superficial to me. Lightweight. Great album design though. Very clean!

C.
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tanya80 on Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:10 am

Thanks for the info guys.....the Dolphin Brothers album, is the one, i would so luv to have a copy of, after seeing their interview on yt, i was hooked.....
Tanya80
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby deadbees on Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:10 am

[quote="camphorvan"]I actually think Sylvian's solo work far outweighs the quality of Japan's. Starters might be Secrets of the Beehive, or Snow Borne Sorrow by Nine Horses. As for the Dolphin Brothers album, I have that on vinyl and I've never really rated it apart from the songs Catch the Fall and one about a river, which I can't remember the title of at the moment. It seemed quite erm...how can I say...superficial to me. Lightweight. Great album design though. Very clean!

C.[/quote]

Re: Dolphin Brothers. A few tracks have not dated very well and the album is far from the best work Steve and Richard have done post Japan but the one classic track is 'My Winter'; that is superb and is Steve's best vocal performance to date imho. I also think the one off single 'Face to Face' is worth a mention.
deadbees
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Silver Moon on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:10 am

I love the Dolphin Brother's album! Infact, the mid-section of "Catch The Fall" really reminds me of Rain Tree Crow! ... And I agree, "My Winter" is beautiful.

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

The Dolphin Brothers

Postby tallulahtaurus on Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:33 am

I went and listened to the sample clips from allofmp3.com of Catch the Fall with the realisation that I could only afford one track. I liked all the songs from the 90 second clips I heard but I downloaded "Love that you need" for now and I am very happy and very in love with the track.

It was a close run thing with My winter and Host to the Holy but I made my choice lol.

When I get paid I will be buying the CD for definite. I think the Dolphin Brothers is my type of music.

Richard Barbieri and Steve Jansen are tres talented men - not that I didn't realise that already but it's being hammered home right now.

Anyway not that it's a big suprise but doesn't Steve sound like David. I mean not getting fangirly over it or anything, but he really does!
"This island of blue
Where life clings to your hands
Like water and sand
Will loose it's way when you're gone"
tallulahtaurus
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Steerpike on Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:52 pm

I've only been collecting the solo stuff these past few weeks since I joined this group. I don't have much money either, so I've been listening to downloads, YouTube and Amazon samples before making up my mind what to get.

The Dolphin Bros is my favourite post Japan album. I think it's "aged" really well. I like most of the Jansen Barbieri collaborations.

I have to admit that I'm not as big a fan of any of the other post-Japan work. What they had together was unique. I find most of their solo work too "ambient" for me. The more I hear it, the more I find myself preferring to listen to Japan's first 2 albums.

But that's the beauty of these guys, we have over 20 years of music to listen to and decide what we like best :wink:
Steerpike
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:41 pm

Steerpike I understand how ya feel.

I LOVE the first two albums---it is like a different band altogether, but a very cool one. The look, the sound, the everything.

then, the albums that follow are just as good, and the look is too.

I love ALL their "phases". and I think they are are significant in their development as artists together and apart.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:05 am

krausy wrote:I love ALL their "phases". and I think they are are significant in their development as artists together and apart.

Totally agree. :-)
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby GentlemenTakePolaroids on Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:35 pm

Steerpike wrote:
The Dolphin Bros is my favourite post Japan album. I think it's "aged" really well. I like most of the Jansen Barbieri collaborations.

I have to admit that I'm not as big a fan of any of the other post-Japan work. What they had together was unique. I find most of their solo work too "ambient" for me. The more I hear it, the more I find myself preferring to listen to Japan's first 2 albums.

:wink:

Wow, I was thinking the exact same thing yet never put the words into writing. What they had truly was unique, but not all the post-japan stuff is bad at all.... a lot of it is great...I guess it's just easier for me to relate to the band's work together as a group. The Dolphin Brothers album is really good though.
Last edited by GentlemenTakePolaroids on Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
GentlemenTakePolaroids
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sisterlondon on Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:54 am

I love the Dolphin Brothers album! It's a total fave of mine! :D

I started with Japan and David solo at once. Then went to JBK and J/B. The one I am probably lacking more stuff is Mick's, but I think I have most of what the others have done (including the loads of Porcupine Tree stuff too ;)) I have to admit I have gone a bit crazy getting most of the music I had in downloads. Recently I even could find Alice's "Il sole nella pioggia".

Check Richard's solo album. Total brilliant I must say!
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Band Collaborations and Members