"Anything you want to be"

Dolphin Brothers, JBK, Rob Dean, and others...

"Anything you want to be"

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:51 am

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: "Anything you want to be"

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:54 am

Here's the cover.
61nUHAXJGgL._SS500_.jpg
61nUHAXJGgL._SS500_.jpg (83.73 KiB) Viewed 14660 times

Wolves, rabbit skinners, stags, forests... Are Dave and Steve turning into the brothers Grimm?!?
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:19 am

No need to worry, no need to fuss: it's not that Steve Jansen. Have a look here:
http://www.songwritersdirectory.com/artistpage.cfm?writerid=3844
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tim91 on Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:29 pm

that's a relief that it's not our Steve Jansen. Everything about that cover is terribly cheesy.
Last edited by Tim91 on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby missouriman on Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:40 pm

Who in their right mind would use cover art like that? A forest, woodland creatures and that green aura... Oh, dear, I think I realised you were onto it before me Tim91. :)
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tim91 on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:53 pm

yeah well I hope none of our fellow Steve Jansen fans fell prey to this unfortunate thing. What is it exactly? a book on CD?
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby missouriman on Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:23 pm

Maybe this sleeve was the inspiration for the Manafon one? Heck there are wolves on them both. Do you think he is aware there is another Steve Jansen out there? Tim, I nominate you to tell him. Be kind. :smt025
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tim91 on Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:17 am

Well I really hope it wasn't David Sylvian's inspiration for Manafon's cover!
and if you tell me how to contact the REAL Steve Jansen I'll make sure tell him about the imposter and in the prosses probably break down in admiration towards him and prattle like a baby
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:15 am

Tim91 wrote:that's a relief that it's not our Steve Jansen. Everything about that cover is terribly cheesy.
Well I really hope it wasn't David Sylvian's inspiration for Manafon's cover!
and if you tell me how to contact the REAL Steve Jansen I'll make sure tell him about the imposter and in the prosses probably break down in admiration towards him and prattle like a baby

The REAL Steve Jansen???? Please be reminded that Mr Jansen was actually Steve Batt before he chose to alter his name. I think it is unfair to disparage this man who's name actually turns out to be Steve Jansen not by choice. Shouldn't we agree that he has every right to pursue his own interests under his actual name and not be called an 'imposter' or have his music and style denigrated by overzealous fans of an entirely different artist who makes entirely different music within an entirely different genre?
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:40 am

NO! NO! NO! Death to all BAD music, Baht. You know music has to be more than NOISE. If the real Steve Jansen makes awful music then death to his music/noise. I for one am pig sick of the NOISE that passes for music today.

@Tim91. He has an email address on his link. I read he made a song about obesity. Now there is a subject Sylvian needs to sink his teeth into... :lol:
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby becky on Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:47 pm

baht habit wrote:
Shouldn't we agree that he has every right to pursue his own interests under his actual name and not be called an 'imposter' or have his music and style denigrated by overzealous fans of an entirely different artist who makes entirely different music within an entirely different genre?

Here here Baht! (but that is a bit of a sad cover though!) :?
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tim91 on Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:29 pm

Well is there a way I can still contact Steven Batt anyone?
oh and maybe I'll buy the "Anything you want to be," Steve Jansen CD to make up for my bad mouthing and tell everyone of his artistic merits....if there are any to be found
Last edited by Tim91 on Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:48 pm

Tim91 wrote:Well is there a way i could contact Stven Batt anyone?
oh and maybe I'll buy the "Anything you want to be," Steve Jansen CD to make up for my bad mouthing and tell everyone of his artistic merits....if there are any to be found

My goodness, I am aware that I can be the lord king god of musical snobs and I always will admit to being a bit of a pretentious elitist, but do you know just how absolutely moronic you are coming across as right now? I took the time to check out this man's music and it is obvious that he is making an honest attempt to appeal to a cross section of the flag-waving, god-fearing folks who make the US heartland their home and like nothing more than to enjoy the simple pleasures of their country music. We are definitely not the target audience so I tend to think that we are the least qualified to judge the 'artistic merits'.
Basically, I see no reason to denigrate this person just because his actual name is the same as the altered name of an artist whose music we enjoy.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:52 pm

baht habit wrote:

My goodness, I am aware that I can be the lord king god of musical snobs and I always will admit to being a bit of a pretentious elitist, but do you know just how absolutely moronic you are coming across as right now? I took the time to check out this man's music and it is obvious that he is making an honest attempt to appeal to a cross section of the flag-waving, god-fearing folks who make the US heartland their home and like nothing more than to enjoy the simple pleasures of their country music. We are definitely not the target audience so I tend to think that we are the least qualified to judge the 'artistic merits'.
Basically, I see no reason to denigrate this person just because his actual name is the same as the altered name of an artist whose music we enjoy.

Go for it Tim91! And me and Neonico will stop taking our prescription pills and go all ninja on his star spangled behind. We don't need no stinking country boy music around these parts. :smt067
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tim91 on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:06 pm

missouriman wrote:
baht habit wrote:

Go for it Tim91! And me and Neonico will stop taking our prescription pills and go all ninja on his star spangled behind. We don't need no stinking country boy music around these parts. :smt067

Missouriman thanks for having my back. Even though I am only a "moronic", simple minded 18 year old. Oh and I suppose we don't need any firearms to solve this problem, we're still gentlemen, okay?

I also realize I should have stopped responding to this thread long ago before I got myself in so much trouble, but I promise this will be my last time. I've learned my lessons ;-) & I know now that I shouldn't pick on "artists" I just don't fully understand, EVEN if their album covers are awful.
Actually I'm thinking maybe he should be more like Steve Batt & pick a new professional name so we don't have all this confusion & fuss :-D
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Return to Band Collaborations and Members