JAPAN Members ..... Who Was The Hardest !!

Dolphin Brothers, JBK, Rob Dean, and others...

JAPAN Members ..... Who Was The Hardest !!

Postby Despair on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:47 am

Ive often pondered this question, regarding which member woulda been the `hardest` amongst them, when it came to fighting ?

I know this kinda seems like a silly question, but the pecking order must`ve had an effect on the dynamic of the band.
I say this, as JAPAN were slightly different to most bands, insomuch as they were genuine school friends, whereas the vast majority of (successful) bands were formed much later than school days.
Added to which, the environment they were brought up in. I can imagine a secondary school in Catford, in the early 70s was as tough as any school is likely to be, so a `fighting` culture woulda been the norm for boys from there.
First impressions, would suggest that Sylvian was the `hardest` of the original four, as from whatever ive read on the band, everything he says, goes !!
Although, being the main song writer would help, it did appear that he pretty much called the shots on everything.
Having said that, Mick LOOKED physically, much stronger than Sylvian. And of course, in the latter stages of the band, it was Mick`s personality that rubbed Sylvian up the wrong way mostly.
And does anyone REALLY know what happened between the two of em, when YUKA swapped over ? :wink:
Again, perhaps that suggested Sylvian was confident enough, to handle Mick should things have turned nasty.

And mention should go to Richard, the dark horse of the group. The athletic one. The only one of them to have gone into the real world, and work for a living. He`s the one that always had a comment or two, to reign in some of Sylvians more pretentious pronouncements.
The most vociferous in his contempt for Sylvian during the RAIN TREE CROW fiasco.

Steve is soft as shite, i reckon.

So, any ideas, as to who, out of the four originals, was the HARDEST memeber of JAPAN ?????? :D
Despair
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby anortherncod on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:24 am

Well...

Richard was the captain of Catford Boys' School football team (as well as being South East London tennis champion)...
He is the tallest - as we've discussed elsewhere in minute detail...
And, as you say, had some experience of the 'real' world...

But, most of all, didn't he say, during the RTC fiasco, "if I didn't have respect for his [David's] parents, I'd punch him"...? (This was mentioned on the Pioneers group a while ago.)

So you can all draw your own conclusions... :wink:
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby tallulahtaurus on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:38 pm

anortherncod wrote:Well...

Richard was the captain of Catford Boys' School football team (as well as being South East London tennis champion)...

But, most of all, didn't he say, during the RTC fiasco, "if I didn't have respect for his [David's] parents, I'd punch him"...? (This was mentioned on the Pioneers group a while ago.)

OMG LOL am I totally childish and horrible for hoping he did say that...don't worry I know the answer...

I just wish he'd said he would've knocked his block off...cos that's funnier still.

Strange that all the things I have read of that RTC period (which is little, just what was in that David Sylvian Last Romantic book) Richard's comments come off strangely mild compared to Steve and particularly Mick.

Also to add my two pence I would say that Richard prob is the toughest in a fight somehow but I doubt he would be as ready to fight as Mick would be....lol I love idle, nonsensical speculation.
"This island of blue
Where life clings to your hands
Like water and sand
Will loose it's way when you're gone"
tallulahtaurus
Obsessed
Obsessed

Return to Band Collaborations and Members