The Worst Album of the ex-Japan members

Dolphin Brothers, JBK, Rob Dean, and others...

The Worst Album of the ex-Japan members

Postby camphorvan on Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:45 am

The title of the post says it all;

I haven't yet heard Dalis Car (without the apostrophe!) or many of the other albums (i.e. JBK etc) so my vote has to be Titles by Mick Karn.

To me; it was just horrible. In fact, I knew someone who took his copy back for a refund he was that annoyed by it. I think I might have it somewhere still, but you can bet your bottom dollar/euro/pound/Yen I will not be searching it out. Awful cover too.

C
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: The Worst Album of the ex-Japan members

Postby deadbees on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:38 am

[quote="camphorvan"]The title of the post says it all;

I haven't yet heard Dalis Car (without the apostrophe!) or many of the other albums (i.e. JBK etc) so my vote [i]has to be[/i] Titles by Mick Karn.

To me; it was just horrible. In fact, I knew someone who took his copy back for a refund he was that annoyed by it. I think I might have it somewhere still, but you can bet your bottom dollar/euro/pound/Yen I will not be searching it out. Awful cover too.

C[/quote]

What a pointless, negative post
deadbees
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Simonp on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:28 pm

deadbees wrote:
camphorvan wrote:The title of the post says it all;

I haven't yet heard Dalis Car (without the apostrophe!) or many of the other albums (i.e. JBK etc) so my vote has to be Titles by Mick Karn.

C

I'm afraid I agree with Camphorvan. Dalis Car is crap. That said, The first Day comes a close second.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Slope on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:34 pm

Simonp wrote:Dalis Car is crap. That said, The first Day comes a close second.

In what ways do you consider them to be "crap"? Badly performed/written/produced, or do you just not like the material?
Slope
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby camphorvan on Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:04 pm

deadbees wrote:
camphorvan wrote:The title of the post says it all;

C

Then don't contribute.

C
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:11 pm

Slope wrote:
Simonp wrote:Dalis Car is crap. That said, The first Day comes a close second.

In what ways do you consider them to be "crap"? Badly performed/written/produced, or do you just not like the material?

For me, in reference to Titles, just really poor production values, poor music, half-hearted arrangements, bad songs; has the feel and the sound of a Woolworths bargain bucket album.

C

PS Have I mentioned I don't like Titles yet?!
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:14 pm

Simonp wrote: I'm afraid I agree with Camphorvan. Dalis Car is crap.

I'm afraid you don't agree with Camphor, (s)he never said Dali's Car was crap, (s)he said he hadn't heard it. So then it wouldn't be fair to say what the worst is, if you don't know it all.

OF WHAT I'VE HEARD? I don't know if I'd say any was crap - I'd have to think about it - which I liked least. I don't think it's a pointless thread tho. If there can be what do you think is the best, then why not what you think is the worst?
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:32 pm

Hey - that's right progirl. I am a he. Apparently. I was talking about Titles, above.

I wouldn't necessarily use the term 'crap' myself, but I think it's valid if that's that persons opinion. I said 'worst' which means bottom of your personal erm...pile of Japan-related product that you have heard.

Yup - I agree it's relevant to discuss negatives as well as positives; otherwise we'd all go round smiling inanely, thinking nothing could possibly be bad. We call that mental illness. But enough of my brother, I'm off to watch South Park.

Tatty bye.

C
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby John Trevethan on Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:58 pm

Although Titles and Dalis Car may not be the most mature works I feel that they contain some of the most interesting and twisted MK lines to be found. Tribal Dawn ...one of Mick's best!

And I have to hand it to Peter Murphy for being able to integrate vocals and melodies into the quirky, unorthodox structures of Dalis Car.

Also, I thought the Titles album cover (nice big vinyl version of course) was very cool when it came out in 1982.
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby MoodyB on Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:13 pm

I've always loved Titles, it's pure Mick being Mick.
I still find much of it to be really innovative and unique.

I can't say that I find any of the ex-members albums to be crap per se, there are some that are perhaps not my favourite thing in the world, but still manage to have some finely crafted songs on them.

It's all personal opinion though...
"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis (1998)

http://www.chriscrader.com/
http://stores.lulu.com/Eurotech
MoodyB
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Meyrav on Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:15 pm

For me Titles is the best!! He's playing his bass like he invented it...amazing. And I like to listen to him singing too.
The rest of his work...well, sometimes it gives me the feeling of standing in the center of a noisy Middle Eastern market on a hot August, where the merchants are shouting around me and someone is playing drums and bass in the background. I don't like it.
Meyrav
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby deadbees on Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:21 am

[quote="camphorvan"]Hey - that's right progirl. I am a he. Apparently. I was talking about Titles, above.

I wouldn't necessarily use the term 'crap' myself, but I think it's valid if that's that persons opinion. I said 'worst' which means bottom of your personal erm...pile of Japan-related product that you have heard.

Yup - I agree it's relevant to discuss negatives as well as positives; otherwise we'd all go round smiling inanely, thinking nothing could possibly be bad. We call that mental illness. But enough of my brother, I'm off to watch South Park.

Tatty bye.

C[/quote]

this forum wouldn't be the same without your well thought through, insightful commentary
Last edited by deadbees on Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
deadbees
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby camphorvan on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:48 am

this forum wouldn't be the same without your well thought through, insightful commentary

...perhaps a little more insightful than the above. Is someone having a strop?!

C
Last edited by camphorvan on Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:37 pm

the First Day....crap.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby E.T. on Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:13 pm

I like Darshan :)

I'm trying to go round smiling ... on here at least hehe