Reviews of Live Shows 2007 - WARNING: Spoilers!

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Postby Chrissy on Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:47 am

Hiyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Reallly sad to hear that David had to end the show so soon. But I agree with you Meyrav and I am sure David had played the whole set if it would have been possible for him. He must have been really ill and feeling eytremely unwell if he left that way and that early. And I mean it was nice that even if he felt that bad he at least tried ...

Of course it might have been disappointing for the fans but then on the other hand I'd hate the feeling having David playing for me sensing he is not fine ...

I hope he will be better soooooooooooooooooon and we all should send him lots of love and energy for that!

Chrissy
Chrissy
Noob
Noob

Postby Waves on Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:07 pm

The World is Everything tour is over (for now... maybe later in USA? I keep on wishing for you overthere).
Unfortunately without any feeling of "celebration-closure" for the band in Tokyo. I keep thinking of Watanabe.

And I have to get a life again... Fortunately we have the music and pictures :smt020 .

Well Gods, if you would be in the same room with him now, the virus would spread..., or YOU could spread the healing-virus to him.
Waves
Regular
Regular

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:04 pm

:wink: :wink: oh trust me i'm a great healer :twisted: ;-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:06 pm

a non remaster of the hong kong show is out there. It isn't great quality but his voice sounds delicious.
http://razorlight.multiply.com/music/item/128
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:04 am

godisinthesilences wrote:hhmm somehow i can't feel too sorry for the fans... they at least got to see him. I'd pay a million dollars to just stand in a room with him for 5 minutes. (if i had a million dollars that is :wink:).

I know that here in the usa there are terribly debilitating viruses and viral infections going around. You just start to feel better from one thing and then get slammed with the next onslaught of illness.

I am sorry but I feel more sorry for sylvian and the band who've been all travelling and performing while not feeling at their best. When most of us call in sick no one really minds too much, but if you call in sick to a concert people make it out like the world is coming to an end. I am quite certain the artist's realize the consequences.

Sure an apology would have been nice... even expected, but when you're loopy sick saying sorry for that seems an afterthought. I hope we don't slag off on david too badly over his (what i'm sure was an accidental oversite) of non apology.

I'm happy for those who got to even spend 1 minute in the same room with his musical genius... So no pity from me i'm afraid.

I'll tell ya what the virus is that keeps smacking him--it's called the "Karma Virus" :twisted:

Gods, I couldn't resist!!!

Hey, in all seriousness though, I am really sorry for the fans that got the abbreviated show but like Gods says, at least you GOT a show, abeit short. And I feel the pain for the ones that got cancelled......

As for David, he just needs some good ole fashion TLC :-D
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Lady Arcadia on Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:54 am

As for David, he just needs some good ole fashion TLC

And we are clearly the right girls for the job!!
Lady Arcadia
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby weatherbox on Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:24 am

godisinthesilences wrote:a non remaster of the hong kong show is out there. It isn't great quality but his voice sounds delicious.
http://razorlight.multiply.com/music/item/128

yeah my friend in HK sent me the link to the Chinese forum of this bootleg, so I uploaded it to my site to share.

Just a shame that the sound isn't that great, but another friend also recorded the show, just hope he will send it to me soon...
weatherbox
Noob
Noob

Postby camphorvan on Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:04 pm

It's always seemed a bit strange to me when bands and singers tour in flu season. Having said that, September is the start of the new ercord buying season, I think. A summer tour would be lovely. Having said that, I can understand why it's not done as people are off on their hols - (having said that, you could arrange to be on holiday at the host city.....just a thought).

In Praise of Shamans seemed to have had it's fair share of troubles too; I was one of the people who bought a ticket for the cancelled Oxford show, (Steve damaged his hand by walking into a mobile apparantly). I've got to say, well done to Sylvian though, for being a trooper and trying to carry on to the end. I don't think it can be easy being on tour, moving from one city to the next, being so disorientated as one would be on such a fast moving, high demand tour (necessarily so, I'm sure, for it to be financially viable).

I think it would be good to do a separate thread, with strictly one post per person about our collective thoughts/reviews of the tour, now most of us have gained some distance from it. Anyone coming to the forum, including the musicians on the tour (some said that steve looks at this?), will get an overview of the reaction to the concerts in a more concise way. In order to do that, though, it must be strictly one post per person, otherwise it becomes 'conversational'.

What do people think?

PS - the Berlin remasters are great; needs some upper mids though on playback on my system, but they are nicely coated in, I think, compression. I'd be interested to know who did them and what remastering software they used...(T-Racks? - if so, what settings?).

Toodle pip

C x
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Bern on Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:52 pm

in 1988 didn't Jansen cut his hand on a fondue set?
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby weatherbox on Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:36 pm

camphorvan wrote:PS - the Berlin remasters are great; needs some upper mids though on playback on my system, but they are nicely coated in, I think, compression. I'd be interested to know who did them and what remastering software they used...(T-Racks? - if so, what settings?).

Toodle pip

C x

I saw this on the Multiply site about the Berlin remasters, maybe you've read it already:

"
Hi folks
while I was freezing and grooving with The Who in Hannover
David Sylvian played in my hometown.
this is an exceptional audience recording from the SW archives.
I have rarely heard a better quality done out of the audience!!
you'll love it!!

if anyone is familiar with the songs and can provide the setlist
please do. We need that help!!!

DAVID SYLVIAN
Schiller Theater, Berlin, GER 6. Oct. 2007

Recording Info:
DPA 4060 > MPS 6040 > SONY D 100
MDAT > CD > EAC > Adobe Audition (EQing) > CDwave (tracking)
> FLAC frontend (level 8, verify, with align on sector boundaries)
> Tracker
"
========================

Remaster and editing done using Wavelab plus various plugins and a pair of GRADO SR-60 earspeakers
weatherbox
Noob
Noob

Postby Holmewood on Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:34 pm

Bern wrote:in 1988 didn't Jansen cut his hand on a fondue set?

I seem to remember it was a cheese grater - any advances on that?! (Not that it matters any more!)
Holmewood

Postby Burnsjed on Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:37 pm

I remember the concert I turned up to in Brighton being cancelled due to an injury he had, didn't realise he did it on a cheese grater!
And there you stand, Making my life possible
Raise my hands up to heaven, But only you could know
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ipietri on Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:02 am

camphorvan wrote:
PS - the Berlin remasters are great; needs some upper mids though on playback on my system, but they are nicely coated in, I think, compression. I'd be interested to know who did them and what remastering software they used...(T-Racks? - if so, what settings?).

Toodle pip

C x

all RDWM remasters are made using Steinberg Wavelab 4.0

plugins used for Berlin are:

Waves X-Hum - for dc removing
Waves Q6 paragraphic EQ - -3db around 90hz / +1db around 600 hz
Tools One - +2db level
Spectralizer - applied over 5000hz
Waves L3 Multimaximizer - Threshold -2 / Out Ceiling -0.2

that's all

Ciao Renzo
ipietri
Noob
Noob

Postby camphorvan on Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:45 pm

Cheers dude....

On a fondue set?! ah ha ha! How terribly middle class...In 80 Days I'm sure they said it was a mobile, that hit him on the head or something and he tried to steady it....but then, I've been wrong before and no doubt I am again....

Ah the tours over - Vol 11 and 12 in the photos section by the way, on the official site.

Camphor x
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:04 pm

Some bad news from Samadhi: cancelled shows will not be rescheduled.
I really hope I'm wrong, but I suspect this also means there's no hope for any more dates anywhere else.
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion