What do you think of David's photography?

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue May 23, 2006 11:23 am

hey progrl...where are you from in MA?? I used to live in boston and on the north shore of beantown years ago. I'm intending to move back to the north shore area in the near future... Isn't it amazing how NE gets right inside you??
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Tue May 23, 2006 11:33 am

Yes it is. Well, I did spend a few years just outside of Boston (went to Emerson College), but I was born and raised in Western MA, a small town called Easthampton just outside Springfield. I have a cousin and a few friends in NH. I think I should go visit them, see if I just 'happen' to bump into our own Mr. Sylvian. :D

But, yes, NE does get into your soul. Hey, how's bout them BoSox beating the Yanks last night - or the night before? HAHA!
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Tue May 23, 2006 11:40 am

proggrl wrote:I used to take those types of pictures myself. Boy did that frighten the grocers! Why is she taking pictures of our produce? Why is she arranging our cans that way? :twisted:

Hehehe...yes, you do feel a bit of a chump taking photos like that, but it's worth it.

I was visiting a stately home at the weekend and taking pictures of random things in the gardens, like half a white bench against a hedge, or a peacock right in the foreground with a vast expanse of lawn.... :D

Will post them if I get the chance, then you can all laugh at my efforts! :D
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue May 23, 2006 1:04 pm

oh yeah progrl... i know where easthampton is.... my old roomie was from teh springfield area.
I went to college at Simmons college... right on the Fenway baby! Not a big baseball fan but the RSox are def. my fav. team...

@kinki.... i totally look forward to seeing your pics!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Wed May 24, 2006 2:57 pm

As promised - please see my personal gallery for my awful first attempts at 'Sylvianesque' photographs.... :D
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed May 24, 2006 4:25 pm

hey kinki just took a glance at your photos.... Nice work :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Wed May 24, 2006 5:58 pm

Thanks mate! :D
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Wed May 24, 2006 6:14 pm

Cool photo's Kinki! I like the one with the peacock!

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Sun May 28, 2006 3:19 pm

I like his photography too. I study Art History so I wasn't so "confused" when I first saw his abstract works ,since I'm used to see the most strange objects considered Art , but I've always been curious about the whole 'theory' behind these kind of things.

Most of you have said that the greatest thing in it is his ability to find beauty in most strange objects , and I agree with you. Human beings have always looked for beauty in Nature, but it's fun when someone try to find it in things made by humans :-) I'm really curious about his "obssession" with cables :lol: But I have to say that the thing I like most is the colours. Brilliant and high saturation colours.

Oh! And about Kinki's pics , I like the one with the peacock , and the one with the bench... Green and white ...mmm dark green and clear green actually...Lovely colour contrast, girl!
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Mon May 29, 2006 6:27 am

Poisoned_Apathy wrote:I'm really curious about his "obssession" with cables :lol: But I have to say that the thing I like most is the colours. Brilliant and high saturation colours.

Yes, the cables thing.....weird (in a good way) And about the colour, Im curious as to whether he uses a particular type of film to get that saturated colour - or does he just do what the rest of us do - and use photoshop? :D

Poisoned_Apathy wrote:Oh! And about Kinki's pics , I like the one with the peacock , and the one with the bench... Green and white ...mmm dark green and clear green actually...Lovely colour contrast, girl!

Thanks!
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon May 29, 2006 10:00 am

david's stuff is shot digitally... he may be manipulating or enhancing the colour on the computer.
There are many different reasons why the cables.... the idea of communication... the connection of people to people... the invasion of man into nature... the pattern and texture of the subject itself...

It would be interesting to sit and hear what his philosophy of art is.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Mon May 29, 2006 4:13 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:david's stuff is shot digitally... he may be manipulating or enhancing the colour on the computer.
There are many different reasons why the cables.... the idea of communication... the connection of people to people... the invasion of man into nature... the pattern and texture of the subject itself...

Thanks for your view.
Yes, I would love to know about his theories and thoughts about his pictures. I often read a lot of essays and art theory books written by the artists themselves. It's fascinating, actually.
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Mon May 29, 2006 5:50 pm

I always think the cables look alive, like snakes.
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby jbkseed on Mon May 29, 2006 6:41 pm

In two words.......Simply and Sensitive...
jbkseed
Regular
Regular

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon May 29, 2006 10:49 pm

Poisoned_Apathy wrote:
godisinthesilences wrote:david's stuff is shot digitally... he may be manipulating or enhancing the colour on the computer.

Thanks for your view.
Yes, I would love to know about his theories and thoughts about his pictures. I often read a lot of essays and art theory books written by the artists themselves. It's fascinating, actually.

The reason I am so interested in David's photography work is because I am a photographic artist as well as Professor of Photography. I think his work is fascinating in the sense it seems to be so disconnected and yet so intimate. Don't you feel as if you could crawl inside his photos and create the rest of the image from it?

Poison... what art theory do prescribe to yourself? I myself focus most of my interest in photographic history but I do love surreal photography as well as surrealism. I, also, enjoy abstract expressionism as well as the impressionist period.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion