What do you think of David's photography?

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Tue May 30, 2006 5:43 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:
The reason I am so interested in David's photography work is because I am a photographic artist as well as Professor of Photography. I think his work is fascinating in the sense it seems to be so disconnected and yet so intimate. Don't you feel as if you could crawl inside his photos and create the rest of the image from it?

Poison... what art theory do prescribe to yourself? I myself focus most of my interest in photographic history but I do love surreal photography as well as surrealism. I, also, enjoy abstract expressionism as well as the impressionist period.

Yes!! It's like a "fragment". I mean, the artist suggests just a small part of the entire concept and let the spectators recreate the rest of it on their minds.It's great.

mmm Surrealism is really interesting, but I love the expressionist and abstract painting. Kandinsky would be my favourite as a painter and a writer. I really enjoy Symbolism and Art Nouveau as well as the Renaissance.

Oh! Call me Maria, please!! :D
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue May 30, 2006 7:45 pm

Maria... i love how artist's implant themselves in their work... i think that is what attracts me to surrealism. The psychology of work is fascinating to me.
I also agree with David when he says that an artist's work is the divine working through them. There is something greater than ones self in the work.... Our experiences are in essence divine experiences
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby John Trevethan on Tue May 30, 2006 8:32 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:I also agree with David when he says that an artist's work is the divine working through them. There is something greater than ones self in the work.... Our experiences are in essence divine experiences

Robert Fripp is a huge advocate of this principle, stating that Music plays the musician instead of the other way around. He says that the key for a musician is to "get out of the way" (i.e remove your expectations, ego, etc.) and allow Music to come into the world through you. Below is a beautiful quote from Robert's diary:

"We believe we listen to music. How often do we realise that music is listening to us? Music so wishes to be heard that it endures and persists unendurable and impossible conditions in order to enter our world. But music, in its nature, is not permitted to shout: music is not allowed to drown out our babbling & our noise. So, it continues to present itself, available and willing, to the degree that we are able & willing to listen & hear; to the degree that we are able to bear to accept what is on offer. For this, we have to put aside all our demands, wants, expectations, rights & requirements, and be present to what is. So simple. So hard."
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Wed May 31, 2006 3:39 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:Maria... i love how artist's implant themselves in their work... i think that is what attracts me to surrealism. The psychology of work is fascinating to me.
I also agree with David when he says that an artist's work is the divine working through them. There is something greater than ones self in the work.... Our experiences are in essence divine experiences

Yes, it's a very ancient theory...In Greece, the Muses were who gave inspiration to artists, but you can transpose that to any culture and any time, i think. I agree with you, there's something mystical in the act of creation.

I can understand your love for Surrealism. The lost of the rational control shows up the most primary essence of the person, I think. It's the main difference between Surrealism and any other movement.
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:52 am

godisinthesilences wrote:Don't you feel as if you could crawl inside his photos and create the rest of the image from it?

Yes! Very true...I am always trying to work out what happens when you zoom out from his chosen composition.

I love that Robert Fripp quote....and the ideas about creation and who creates, the artist or the art. Very thought-provoking.

Im thinking very much about art and creativity at the moment - without it what have we got as people? Not much.

If we have any sort of ability to create we should use it as much as possible.
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:06 pm

I think we as humans are all creators ... have a creative essence. It doesn't need to manifest itself in what is typically considered and art "movement".

I love that thought from Fripp ... I had read this from him before. I completely agree. We are the instruments being played...

It is very difficult for artist's to actually realize they need to release ego to truly create intention. I am working very hard now at removing my ego from all aspects of my life. It certainly does make living life that much easier....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:08 am

godisinthesilences wrote:I am working very hard now at removing my ego from all aspects of my life. It certainly does make living life that much easier....

Can you explain this in a bit more detail please Gods? Is it like trying to disassociate one's superficial desires from what is necessary for a fulfilling and more spiritual life?

---------

Your earlier statement about humans being creators - I agree with, but today's industrialized and mechanized world doesnt encourage each human to be creative in many ways - which I think is so sad.
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:00 am

kinki wrote:
godisinthesilences wrote:I am working very hard now at removing my ego from all aspects of my life. It certainly does make living life that much easier....

Can you explain this in a bit more detail please Gods? Is it like trying to disassociate one's superficial desires from what is necessary for a fulfilling and more spiritual life?

Not really disassociating, but revealing ones "real" self. Disassociating would imply a complete disconnect from the self which would be a disconnection to the divine. Ego tends to be manifestations of ones fears and insecurities. Ego is the true disconnect.
Calming the mind and spirit so you can hear "god" speaking to you... this is our real self. At least this is how I feel about it. As I've said before I believe daily meditation and prayer is our only way to connect with our divine essence. It is not at all an easy thing to put aside ego... but I swear since I've begun this practice I feel much better about myself and more connected to every person.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:50 pm

Hey! I've drunk a bottle of wine tonight (long story). Which negates the necessity (sp?) for beating about the bush.

I was just on David's official site. And can I just re-iterate. He really does take rather sh*t hot photos. The use of colour. The deceptive simplicity of composition. Like (what I've heard) of his music, its layers of meaning only reveal themselves on repeated examination.

I thank you.
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:10 am

you had wine and didn't call me???? LOL.... dang I always miss the party!

David's pics are HOT... WHITE HOT!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:52 am

Sorry dear! (I was drinking alone to drown my sorrows.....) Anyway, somehow the more you look at his photos the more you see in them. I know it sounds weird, but there is a sort of zen-like calm to them and Im sure you could use them to meditate to....

Know what I mean?
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:05 am

I totally know what you mean.... I think that is why I love his Goodbye NE the most. I have a strong connection to those and relate to them very well
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:53 am

...continues from 'Happy birthdays' in Open Season...talking about the concept of beauty in art...

Poisoned_Apathy wrote:I mean that I don't think that most of people could find the beauty in one of his cable pictures, for example, without understand what is behind it. Most of david's pictures require a reflection on them to really appreciate what is he trying to express or ,at least, to reach a conclusion , even when it's got nothing to do with David's first intention.

It's different with other artists, specially the abstract ones , because with some of them you can enjoy stetically their works without having the need of thinking about their meaning.

I think its subjective even with David's work. I know some of his subject matter isnt exactly what you would consider when thinking about 'beauty' in the usual sense (nature/human form) but the way he sees his subject matter makes it possible for even the casual viewer to see something aesthetically pleasing in the composition/colour etc.

And what is David's intention might not be our interpretation of the image. There may be as many interpretations as there are viewers and all are valid.
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:24 am

kinki wrote:I think its subjective even with David's work. I know some of his subject matter isnt exactly what you would consider when thinking about 'beauty' in the usual sense (nature/human form) but the way he sees his subject matter makes it possible for even the casual viewer to see something aesthetically pleasing in the composition/colour etc.

I agree with you.
The only thing I wanted to say is that , maybe, it's easier with the works of another artists.That's all. :D

kinki wrote:And what is David's intention might not be our interpretation of the image. There may be as many interpretations as there are viewers and all are valid.

Of course! That's the greatest thing!!!
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:59 am

i agree with kinki.... art is a form of communication. We all take different things from it, see different things in it, feel something akin to ourselves which is going to be similar and different... so many things. I think that is the wonderment of art....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion