From David Regarding The Tour...

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

From David Regarding The Tour...

Postby MoodyB on Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:53 pm

"This tour is in part a means of putting earlier chapters of my working life behind me. Of embracing the work that was done and, with a sense of finality, cutting the ties that bind me to it as a body, an entity.

In the future if I return to this material it will likely be in the context of a new body of work with which it shares a connection. In this sense there'll be a greater clarity regarding the content of future performances (should there be any). But we are by no means focusing exclusively on the past as we shall be exploring more recently recorded compositions, in particular those from the 'Nine Horses' releases. 'The World Is Everything' will be an intimate show, in some ways an echo of the 'Slow Fire' performances of a decade ago only on this occasion I shall be supported by a trio of musicians, a line up which will include Steve Jansen on drums and samplers, and bassist Keith Lowe."

"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis (1998)

http://www.chriscrader.com/
http://stores.lulu.com/Eurotech
MoodyB
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:00 pm

Sounds a bit as a goodbye...
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:00 pm

GREAAAAT Info. Thanks for sharing, Chris. :)
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby MoodyB on Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:01 pm

There's now a dedicated page for the tour at the official website:

http://www.davidsylvian.com/tour/
"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis (1998)

MoodyB
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Keith's Picture...

Postby MoodyB on Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:03 pm

Lol,
The picture of Keith Lowe was taken by me!
I think I'm going to ask for a credit!

Cheeky buggers!

MoodyB
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:05 pm

I love the pic of Steve! *but what's new* ;)

*prepares the salts for arieleven, steer and the other Steve gals* ;)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sonic_chronicler on Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:05 pm

Hehehe even they don't have any info on Takuma Watanabe.

Here's the whole text from the Samadhisound email for anyone who isn't signed up to receive it....

David Sylvian: "The World Is Everything Tour"

"His voice is unchanged from the ethereal croon that graced hits like 'Ghosts', and the music hails from another orbit, prompting a standing ovation for pop music's most mercurial refusenik-turned-prodigal son."
THE GUARDIAN LIVE

"I found myself sucked into his hypnotic dreamworld"
THE DAILY TELEGRAPH LIVE REVIEW

David Sylvian will tour Europe in September/October this year for the first time in 4 years. On his reason for touring now, Sylvian writes:

"This tour is in part a means of putting earlier chapters of my working life behind me. Of embracing the work that was done and, with a sense of finality, cutting the ties that bind me to it as a body, an entity.

In the future if I return to this material it will likely be in the context of a new body of work with which it shares a connection. In this sense there'll be a greater clarity regarding the content of future performances (should there be any). But we are by no means focusing exclusively on the past as we shall be exploring more recently recorded compositions, in particular those from the 'Nine Horses' releases. 'The World Is Everything' will be an intimate show, in some ways an echo of the 'Slow Fire' performances of a decade ago only on this occasion I shall be supported by a trio of musicians, a line up which will include Steve Jansen on drums and samplers, and bassist Keith Lowe."

David Sylvian, June 2007

David Sylvian began his career as the lyricist, composer and vocalist with Japan, one of the most original and (initially) underrated British bands of the late '70s and early '80s. Sylvian went solo in the early 80s and produced such classic albums as 'Brilliant Trees', 'Secrets of the Beehive' and, in 2003, the powerfully radical 'Blemish'. He has also made highly successful recordings with long time collaborator Ryuichi Sakamoto and Robert Fripp (with whom he also toured). Recent collaborators have included Christian Fennesz, Derek Bailey, Blonde Redhead and more recently Joan Wasser (Joan As Policewoman). He has also released recordings under the name "Nine Horses" with his brother Steve Jansen and electronics composer Burnt Friedman.

Thanks for reading and also for your support,
SamadhiSound

sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:06 pm

sisterlondon wrote:Sounds a bit as a goodbye...

Well he mentions that any return to old material would occur only in relation to new material so it doesn't sound like he's retiring, lol. Sounds like emotional housecleaning to me.

I like this bit from Steve's section:

"However this year will see a new development in their relationship with the release of Steve's debut solo album on the Samadhisound label."

Is David producing? Are the songs co-written? Curious - it could mean anything. Or maybe they'll be making their film debut, co-starring in Batman Meets the Batt Men. :wink:
Last edited by heartofdavid on Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:37 pm

Thanks Chris.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Lady Arcadia on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:14 am

It does sound a little like a goodbye ... or simply an out with the old and in with the new.
I am starting to get really jealous, there are no shows announced anywhere in my part of the world... if only I had the money...will go buy a lotto ticket tomorrow and hope.
I expect a excellent review from those who are going to the shows.
Lady Arcadia
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:57 am

I wonder why the wording on the main tour page refers to David embarking on a world tour, yet on David's section it specifically mentions Europe. A quibble point, but it is either one or the other.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:05 am

I am pleased to note that on the blurb sent to the samadhisound e-mail list, Japan is described as "one of the most original and underrated" band sof the 1980s. Was this written by his publicity people, or does this mean David's now feeling a bit more positive about what he achieved with Japan than has hitherto seemed the case?
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:17 am

I think the publicity/management folks are pushing the case but he obviously doesn't object; would be sort of creepy if David wrote about himself in third person.

There was a blip in the e-mail that I got, only pics came through. Weird.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Burnsjed on Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:30 am

I interpreted this in a couple of ways, and I am sure all incorrectly!
Maybe the Blemish material will get one last airing?
This could be for a couple of reasons.
1. The songs are very emotional, and he doesn't want to habg himself out there too often anymore with this material?
2. The direction this music went is very different to his past ventures, and very different to the SBS project. Maybe unless they are worked musically at a leter date, he feels they do not fir in that well with the rest of the set?
I don't know about anyone else, but I felt on the AFITF Tour the concert felt like it was in 2 halves.
Part 1 was Blemish, and then part 2 was basically everything else.
So this could be closing that chapter, or maybe it will be older material being put to rest, though again on the AFITF tour it wasn't like he played anything from Brilliant Trees, Gone To Earth and not surprisingly DBOAC.

I guess time will tell, but it certainly sounded anything but goodbye to me, unless you are in the States of course, curse, curse curse!!!!!
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:44 am

Burnsjed wrote:...though again on the AFITF tour it wasn't like he played anything from Brilliant Trees, Gone To Earth and not surprisingly DBOAC.

He did play The Shining of Things from DBOAC, and I think Blue Skinned Gods was from that period.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to General Discussion