David's Tweet about music

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

David's Tweet about music

Postby missouriman on Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:53 am

There was an interesting response to a question today on his Twitter.

@davidsylvian58
do you ever pick up a guitar these days for the pure enjoyment of playing?

david sylvian
@davidsylvian58
Replying to
@wabisabi10201
never been a 'hobby' or pleasure to play. It's a means to an end so no, I've not played nor sung for about 8 years. no interest in traditional instruments per se or using them in a traditional manner. Can enjoy them in work of others but it's not what drives me to make 'sound.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: David's Tweet about music

Postby Gabzi Nemo on Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:28 am

missouriman wrote:never been a 'hobby' or pleasure to play. It's a means to an end so no, I've not played nor sung for about 8 years. no interest in traditional instruments per se or using them in a traditional manner. Can enjoy them in work of others but it's not what drives me to make 'sound.

Well, there dies the hope that he’s been making something musical behind the scenes for all these years :/
Thanks for the info. The last time I tried I couldn’t get on his Twitter, so it’s nice to hear updates :D
{Insert life-changing mantra here}
Gabzi Nemo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby missouriman on Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:29 am

David had another eye-opener.

"I don't see myself as a musician.

all titles sound pompous don't they? if I considered myself a musician I'd practice daily or as near as. It's not something I've ever done. writer, composer, artist, or perhaps an eternal amateur,someone that finds discovering materials exciting and uses what's to hand to compose

The less I know about the tech used or the formal properties of an instrument the more I enjoy the process of exploration. there's many musicians I know who, once they can second guess the outcome of their setups, discard them and rebuild."
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lukasgardiner on Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:13 am

If a mainstream pop artist were to express the same thought I’d think nothing of it. Many “artists” are in their craft for the fame and glory - not to mention cash. But when it comes to someone like David Sylvain saying that he’s basically done with music I just don’t get it. How can something that has been a medium for self expression and sharing - on many occasions of things very deep and personal - just be cast aside? I don’t get it.
lukasgardiner
Regular
Regular

Postby missouriman on Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:25 pm

lukasgardiner wrote:If a mainstream pop artist were to express the same thought I’d think nothing of it. Many “artists” are in their craft for the fame and glory - not to mention cash. But when it comes to someone like David Sylvain saying that he’s basically done with music I just don’t get it. How can something that has been a medium for self expression and sharing - on many occasions of things very deep and personal - just be cast aside? I don’t get it.

I am curious what he is after in music now if anything. To be astonished by sound? To hear/create something that blows his own mind? I understand if it's that. I find a lot of music so dreary now that it's impossible to raise a smile even. That being said there has been moments this year when I heard a thing or two and something caught hold. Truth is one was Robert Fripp's solo guitar pieces. 45 or so. The mastery of his craft allowing and nurturing the mystery to be born. It felt so incredibly vulnerable yet stoic.

I think a solid air has settled over David and it's hard for him to muster the energy to punch his way out.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:46 pm

Thanks for posting these Tweets - hadn't spotted them. It's funny that he denies touching a guitar in many years, but was photographed for Eastman guitars not so long ago. https://www.eastmanguitars.com/david_sylvian

I don't think his comments mean he hasn't worked on music at all. He mentioned working with the three Berlin-based musicians involved in Jane In Ether (on Confront) and there some sessions a long while back, as well as the mention of work with Rupert Coulson of Air Studios. But I assume any songs were abandoned eight years ago and its been purely experimental instrumentals since then. I wonder if he would need to find some new collaborator to give him some impetus or spark - he is clearly following many artists and still listening.

I think it is sad that we might not hear anything again. He seemed to be one of those musicians...sorry, amateur dabblers!...who was going to carry on exploring sound on a lifelong basis. But maybe he has nothing left to say or convey.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Return to General Discussion