Vista blog

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Re: Vista blog

Postby silentwings on Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:23 pm

Thank you, depeon. What great memories that tour gave us.
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Fri May 08, 2020 12:18 pm

I've just published an article on the Sylvian & Sakamoto song 'World Citizen', delving into its roots in Ryuichi's 'chain music' project.

An unusual overtly political lyric from Sylvian, responding to issues of injustice and calling for a shift in focus from the national to the global. It's an anti-war song, but there is something in the sentiment that is certainly relevant for today's pandemic situation.

Thanks as always for reading.

Here's the link: https://sylvianvista.com/2020/05/08/wor ... ain-music/
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Fri May 15, 2020 10:03 am

So...from one of my favourite Sylvian tracks - Damage - to one of my least!

Was also lucky enough to be at one of Albert Hall shows that you describe so evocatively. Hearing that track - and The First Day - is probably one of my all time highs in relation to David's music. One of those moments that - even as you're experiencing it - you want to be able to rewind and savour again. Was also the first time I was able to see David live, as exams nixed '88.

By contrast, I can't stand the protest version of World Citizen. Total cringe-fest for me. But 'I won't be disappointed' remains a firm favourite, and a track that fits properly within the Sylvian-Sakamoto canon.

Wonderful articles. Thank you again for sharing!
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby silentwings on Fri May 22, 2020 11:29 am

Thanks Blemished for sharing those memories of hearing 'Damage' live.

I know what you mean about the contrast between 'World Citizen' and 'I Won't Be Disappointed'.

I've just published a revised and significantly expanded version of my article on the song 'Brilliant Trees'. Two years after I started the series, there are a small number of articles from the early days to which I'd like to add more depth.

I love Jon Hassell's trumpet on this track, it's fascinating to delve into how he found his 'voice' on the trumpet.

Here's the link: https://sylvianvista.com/2018/06/15/brilliant-trees/
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Fri May 29, 2020 12:29 pm

I pulled together everything I know about the duets project between David Sylvian and Joan Wasser (aka Joan as Police Woman) for the latest article, which is themed around 'Beautiful Country' - the track that David made available very briefly on Soundcloud in 2017.

Who knows what the songs recorded might have sounded like, but I would be fascinated to hear more of David's 'return to a more traditional form of songwriting'.

Both artists seemed genuinely enthusiastic after the initial recording sessions. ..but we seem destined never to hear more.

Here's the link: https://sylvianvista.com/2020/05/29/beautiful-country/
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:17 pm

A new article has just been published on 'Pollen Path' from Dead Bees on a Cake.

Not my favourite track when the album was first released, but I've grown to love its dark energy and air of mystery.

I interviewed drummer Ged Lynch about the sessions at Real World studios, and delved into the relevance of Joseph Campbell, American Indians, and why the sample from John Cage's 'Sonata V' was so appropriate.

Here's the link, and thanks for reading: https://sylvianvista.com/2020/06/19/pollen-path/
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby javier on Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:07 pm

Another great article - thank you!
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby silentwings on Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:20 pm

Thank you as always for the interest and feedback.

For the next article I interviewed Tim Motzer, the versatile guitarist who plays on Snow Borne Sorrow by Nine Horses - and co-wrote 'The Day the Earth Stole Heaven'.

Having seen Tim play live at London's Ronnie Scott's Jazz club as part of the trio Bandit65, it was fascinating to talk about improvising his contribution through file sharing rather than being present with the other musicians.

I've often thought the up-beat melody is somewhat at odds with some bitter lyrics on 'The Day the Earth..', but tracked down an interview where David explains his approach.

Here's the link: https://sylvianvista.com/2020/07/10/the ... le-heaven/
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:03 am

Over time I'm going to revisit a small number of the earlier blog entries which were written before I found a rhythm with the length and depth of the pieces.

I just published an updated and significantly expanded article on 'I Surrender' from Dead Bees on a Cake. I love how evocative the lyrics are in this song, and for Sylvian it encapsulated the theme of the album and this period in his life.

Great playing by Kenny Wheeler, too.

Here's the link: https://sylvianvista.com/2018/04/11/i-surrender/
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby javier on Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:03 pm

silentwings wrote:I just published an updated and significantly expanded article on 'I Surrender' from [i]Dead Bees on a Cake

Thank you. As always, a great essay.
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby silentwings on Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:06 pm

Thanks again. javier.

A new article has gone live recalling two performances of 'Ghosts' by Japan in 1982. One on the UK cult music programme The Old Grey Whistle Test - featuring Ryuichi Sakamoto - and the other on the final tour and captured as part of Oil on Canvas.

I'm still regretting never seeing the band play live...

Here's the link - https://sylvianvista.com/2020/07/31/ghosts-live/

And here's the OGWT performance on YouTube - buy the DVD release for a much better resolution copy! - https://youtu.be/ij089OiN8cc
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby jon10g on Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:40 am

Great stuff as ever.
I wonder if you have considered publishing all of your articles in a book? I would love to see a physical copy of all of your work.
jon10g
Regular
Regular

Postby Gabzi Nemo on Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:55 am

You know, a book would be a great idea! I love having a physical edition of things :3
{Insert life-changing mantra here}
Gabzi Nemo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby silentwings on Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:09 pm

Thank you both for the comments about a book. I've been asked that question quite often. The honest answer is, I don't know... Maybe one day that might be possible. I think I need to cover more ground before it becomes an option.

Thanks for the encouragement - I really appreciate it.
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby jon10g on Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:33 am

Glad to hear you are considering it. It would be well received I’m sure.
jon10g
Regular
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion