Toyah Wilcox and David Sylvian

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Toyah Wilcox and David Sylvian

Postby missouriman on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:53 am

From a live chat with Toyah. She was asked various questions.

Knowing you and Robert Fripp have spent time in the company of the elusive David Sylvian, and with Robert’s collaboration still an oft-played piece in my collection, do you find inspiration coming specifically from him, or great musicians like him? Does his spirituality infuse your own compositions, or do you remain true to “Toyah”? If so, to what extent, and is that more confined to Robert’s influence particularly?

User avatar for ToyahWillcox Guardian contributor
ToyahWillcox
22 January 2018 2:40pm
Melissa, I'm guessing what you're trying to ask me, is am I inspired by other musicians like David Sylvian or my husband, Robert Fripp. I know David - my husband has made great albums with him. And obviously I know Robert Fripp because I cook, clean and wash his socks for him. But when I write, I write with the knowledge and availability of technique that I own. Otherwise I could sound like Bach, Mozart or Beethoven. I am creative with both my limitations and my sense that everything is possible. So in answer to your question, no, I'm not influenced by either David or Robert. I remain true to Toyah. What I would like to add is I've never known anyone more influenced by Toyah than Robert. He nicks my artwork, he nicks my ideas, he nicks my musicians, he nicks my vocabulary. But I love him, he's my husband and he's more famous than me!
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Toyah Wilcox and David Sylvian

Postby Blemished on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:45 am

That's brilliant! Really funny.

Pretty sure I saw Toyah at Sylvian & Fripp at the Royal Albert Hall in 1993 - grooving along to Darshan in one of the boxes. First and last time I saw anyone dancing to a David Sylvian tune!
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Toyah Wilcox and David Sylvian

Postby Quiet Visitor on Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:55 pm

Thanks for this piece of fun.

I saw Fripp & Fripp in december 1988. I remember it was a very short concert, in which only songs from their album were performed (at least I think Robert refused to do any solo- or KC-work).
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to General Discussion