David's Facebook page

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

David's Facebook page

Postby swordofdestiny on Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:57 pm

On January 20 there were 74 621 Likes.
On January 21 there were 74 714 Likes.
On January 22 there are 74 817 Likes.

Something here makes me suspicious. Almost 100 new Likes every day with nothing much of anything being released. Can it all be down to the new Sylvian bio and forthcoming Japan book or are we seeing the Click Farms at work here?
swordofdestiny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: David's Facebook page

Postby Tin Bird on Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:52 pm

No offense at all dude..but how the heck do you have time to notice that?
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby swordofdestiny on Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:03 am

Tin Bird wrote:No offense at all dude..but how the heck do you have time to notice that?

No offence taken, Tin Bird. I visit his FB page every day. I happened to write the number of likes down that day. It took about three seconds. I had noticed how his page Likes was increasing quite considerably considering his lack of public profile.
swordofdestiny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:50 am

OK...I do agree w you that it seems a bit weird that he would be picking up so many new folks so quickly...I don't really do Facebook though, so don't really know how that works. Is that something David does or is it just someone clicking on the "like" button?
Anyway...anyone know what David is up to currently?
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby swordofdestiny on Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:24 am

I believe David does visit his Facebook page. Some woman commented that he was very quiet lately and "David Sylvian" clicked the Like under that which was kind of strange. Somebody asked that the full quote from his New Year card be posted and sure enough he wrote it out in full.

I heard he lives in London now. Maybe just being boring enjoying the British weather and tv rather than dealing with the horrible New Hampshire snow storms.

I don't think David can click Likes increasing the numbers on his own page. It really does depend on new visitors to the page. Maybe some tech nerd can enlighten us?
swordofdestiny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Quiet Visitor on Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:52 pm

I'm not a facebooker either, but I read this about another facebook, which might explain something:

"the Facebook page has a bot that has been adding "fake" fans for the past couple of months, so we have no way of really knowing how many are actually real people who agreed to "like" the page."
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:56 am

theres something strangely stalky about this thread sword :)

swordofdestiny wrote:I don't think David can click Likes increasing the numbers on his own page. It really does depend on new visitors to the page. Maybe some tech nerd can enlighten us?

is this actually true? his most recent interviews still have him in nh. maybe this is just wishful thinking on the part of you brits. I think his kids are his priority right now. I cant imagine him putting an ocean between them.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Blemished on Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:37 pm

I am amazed at the number of facebook followers. I have a vague recollection of Paul estimating DS's fanbase at around 10,000? Not sure if that's right? I guess it's easy to like / follow on facebook, but that still suggests a larger following than I would have guessed.

By the way, a batch of 30 photos have been added to his facebook page. Lots of Japan era photos - many from Steve I think - as well as post-Japan. There's a great one of a very young David playing a Rhodes keyboard - looks the same model as the one he later had in Samadhisound.

Steve has been very actively adding to his tumblr page too - prints that can be purchased. Some great pictures.

Chad wrote:his most recent interviews still have him in nh

I think David is in London now. And - unless I'm mistaken - there haven't been any interviews for quite some time?
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby swordofdestiny on Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:34 pm

76 355 fans as of today at 4.30pm. Yeah right. I believe it's a bot adding numbers. If he had this number of flesh and body fans his last tours would have sold out. I would love it to be true though. And so would he.
swordofdestiny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby inkinthewell on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:05 pm

Liking someone on Facebook is not the same as being a fan. You come across a link with a video or a photo of the guy and you say "Cool" and press like. 2 seconds later you don't even remember what it was you liked. If there are recent increases in likes on DS page, it might be due to somebody heavily spreading Sylvian material around.

One thing I'm sure of about Facebook likes: if you "like" someone once you can't "like" him/her again (unless you "unlike").
One thing I'm not sure of about Facebook likes: do total "likes" increase if you "like" not the page but a post, a reply or whatever else can appear on a Facebook page?
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby swordofdestiny on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:57 pm

His page is very active today. In seven hours he has picked up over 110 new Likes. Surely people who liked his post about refugee abuse were already fans there? I don't think liking a comment adds Likes to a page. Where the heck are all these people coming from? If I was him I'd get some stuff out NOW. Strike while the iron is hot. I really hope we are going to see a flood of new material in the next few months.
swordofdestiny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Chad on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:59 pm

its probably some dork from this forum thinking he's helping the guy out. maybe if I like him enough his music will stop sucking harry rabbit balls.... or something like that. :)

I sincerely hope he starts fresh... no dried up k-watt leftovers.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby inkinthewell on Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:28 pm

If anyone can make any sense out of it, here's some info from DS's facebook page:
info.jpg
info.jpg (60.13 KiB) Viewed 20554 times

What happened on the 29th of December 2013? And why that recent peak in People Talking About This? :smt102
As I said earlier, once you've "liked" a page you cannot "like" it again. I did it ages ago and...
likes.jpg
likes.jpg (14.3 KiB) Viewed 20548 times

P.S.Just for your information, I don't live in Rome nor anywhere else in Lazio.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby swordofdestiny on Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:38 pm

Interesting stuff, Ink.

I feel like we are missing out on something what with all these people suddenly taking an interest in his page. We ARE the party and nobody's here but us.

It looks like David or somebody took down the New Year wishes. I don't see it anymore. That 'Live to the point of tears' post. Maybe he felt he is being trivial? Today's post about the refugee thing is curious. Steve Jansen posted it on his Facebook page too.
swordofdestiny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Simonp on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:26 am

Chad wrote:its probably some dork from this forum thinking he's helping the guy out. maybe if I like him enough his music will stop sucking harry rabbit balls.... or something like that. :)

I sincerely hope he starts fresh... no dried up k-watt leftovers.

Some dork? Lovely. I see you're still hanging around like a bad smell Chad.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to General Discussion