Id like to see

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Id like to see

Postby japanfan on Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:13 am

Another album based on the concept of the everything and nothing album, where David would remix all his Japan hits from Adolescent sex right through and put some of his current ideas into those tracks.
japanfan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Bern on Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:09 am

I honestly can't see that ever happening other than Nightporter/Ghosts/The other side of life he has never shown any interest in his pre solo days and he did describe the Japan material as "lacking any real emotional content"
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby japanfan on Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:11 am

Bern wrote:I honestly can't see that ever happening other than Nightporter/Ghosts/The other side of life he has never shown any interest in his pre solo days and he did describe the Japan material as "lacking any real emotional content"

Thats why a Sylvian remix would be good, add more emotional content to the songs.
japanfan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby marcello09 on Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:32 am

japanfan wrote:
Bern wrote:I honestly can't see that ever happening other than Nightporter/Ghosts/The other side of life he has never shown any interest in his pre solo days and he did describe the Japan material as "lacking any real emotional content"

Thats why a Sylvian remix would be good, add more emotional content to the songs.

The idea of an artist revisiting old material generally doesn't appeal to me. I was appalled when I heard that Joni Mitchell was doing just that with her 2002 album "Travelogue" -- it seemed like a sure sign that Joni was all washed up. But then I actually listened to the album and it really was quite stunning. It was the same lyrics and the same melodies, but somehow those tales of romantic wanderlust became grander and more emotionally charged in their new context. It reminded of an old (Chinese?) proverb: "The mountain will look very different after you've climbed it."

Joni, of course, has been writing and recording for over forty years. David is youthful by comparison. But give him another decade or so and who knows what might happen?
marcello09
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:11 am

many times as an artist it doesn't appeal to them to revisit material either. However, as time passes one tends to look back on the work with new eyes (or ears) and realize with the wisdom they have gained since its inception the "fixing" what they weren't capable of before is achievable.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to General Discussion