...He has sworn off performing for live audiences"...

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

...He has sworn off performing for live audiences"...

Postby Darkest Dreamer on Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:21 pm

This quote was taken from the recent NY Times Interview with DS.

Is anyone kind of upset about this? I mean do any of you feel a bit ripped-off? I have been lucky enough to see one of the best concerts of my life when I saw David in 1989 at Massey Hall. What about you younger generation of fans, don't you feel a bit upset that you may never see David perform live? He is only 48, I mean I saw B.B.King last year play live and he is close to 80. (or over I'm not sure).

I actually feel a bit upset that I probably won't get to see another David Sylvian concert. I wonder if we should send him a petition with 5,000 (or more) signatures if he would change his mind?

Any thoughts?
"I don't want to be alone with all my darkest dreaming..."
Darkest Dreamer
Regular
Regular

Re: ...He has sworn off performing for live audiences".

Postby marcello09 on Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:32 pm

The best performers are those who love performing. I saw Gary Numan last month, he's almost exactly Sylvian's age -- he played on a tiny stage to about 300 people, and every time he tours North America he loses money. But he keeps coming back. Because he *loves* it! He obviously enjoys every moment that he's on stage, and it was easily one of the best rock'n'roll shows I've ever seen.

I saw Steely Dan two weeks ago. They're almost sixty, I believe. I've never seen them before, but older fans say they sound and play better than ever. And there's no doubt that they've got the kind of talent and skill that could only come with decades of experience. It was a magical carnival of jazz, rock, pop, and ironic bebop poetry. Another memorable experience.

So what do Gary Numan and Steely Dan have in common? They both swore off live performing. They said they'd never do it again. But at some point they realized that the stage is where a true connection with the listener happens. That's where the creativity starts to burn. There's no other place like it.

If Sylvian truly doesn't enjoy performing, and if his heart's not in it, so be it. Why would I want to see a miserable bloke mope around on stage anyway? But at some point, I think, he'll probably become... well, bored. Restless. He'll start looking for another creative spark. And he'll remember where that spark has always come from, where the fire has always burned for millennia...

...and I'll be first in line to buy tickets!
marcello09
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sheisnot on Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:53 pm

I'm with Marcello. I've never had the pleasure of seeing Sylvian live, so for my sake I hope he changes his mind at some point in the future. I agree that he'll probably get bored with being in the studio ALL the time. How many times have we heard artists say they're never performing again, that this is their last tour, only to have them tour again in a few years? LOTS of times.
It is all entirely perfect--it is as it should be.
sheisnot
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby krausy on Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:09 pm

I am going to respond to both of you.

Yes---I am very upset when I hear/read stuff like that coming from him. The main reason would be the fact that I have NEVER seen him live and the thought that I would be a fan the rest of my life and his and beyond and never see him perform is heartbreaking to me. However I truly believe a petition from us would make no difference to him. Ioften get the feeling that the less he hears or has to put up with from us the better, and THAT is another subject for another thread that I won't get into here. The thought of all of this makes me angry and hurt at the same time, so I try not to dwell on it, for fear I may place all of it in the "thirteenth file" and move on. I am really not trying to be melodramatic here, but I have followed a couple bands for over twenty years that treat their fans like gold, and it can be noticeable when you sometimes feel like you are the "red headed step-child" But you know what -- My faith is actually larger than my temper, thank God. :-D

And yes, Marcello, I agree with what you have said. I have had the pleasure of seeing a couple bands reunite all original members and return to the stage and never dreamed that either one of them would ever do something like that, so I do believe in the seemingly impossible. I hope that he does want to tour again someday, and like you, I would do whatever is humanly possible to be there. He still shows interest in collaborating with others and I truly hope the "exchanging of files" will become too impersonal after a while and he will look for a more sociable experience.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Crickett on Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:39 pm

Aloha Everybody....

I've seen Sylvian Live twice. He emerse's himself within emotion and at times I almost thought he was going to cry during "Blue Skinned Gods" He eyes were so intense...

Yet I do think he enjoys it... When I first saw him in Chicago on the Everything & Nothing II tour I bumped into him and he was very friendly.... My girlfreind (now my wife) and I got seats near the bar so we were far back from the stage yet We walked up directly in front of Sylvian after the 5th or 6th song... as most of the cats sitting in the front where fuddy duddies... (Come to find out my wife just went up front with me cause she wanted to be closer to the "cute" keyboardist Cooper, who I thought was a weak player and never changed voices on his keyboard) Anywho Sylvian starts to Begin Nightporter and I scream "I LOVE YOU DAVE" now I am about 10 feet from him so... I am right there and he busts out into laughter! And says "I love You too" It was tight.... I was like "YES!!!! I can go on with my life," not only did I say hello to him earlier but He responded to my annoying scream with a humorous grin accompanied by laughter and a personal recognition to me WOW!!!

Okay I didn't have a life, he was like an emotional angelic poet or "god" to me..... Sorry.... But I think he will return! On Youtube.com the interview he recently gave about Nine Horses in Japan he stated that if a second album manifests then they will proabably tour...... I don't see David Sylvian as a man who says "NEVER"
Crickett
Regular
Regular

sylvian live

Postby billster on Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:56 am

I think the 'best' live performers are those who don't like it...much more interesting than the 'Love me daddy' archetype...

Sylvian's been talking about giving up playing live since the early 80's...

Its interesting now because for the first time its actually a scource of possible income for him...

I think he'll be doing it till he's an old withered dude, like Gil Evans...
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby krausy on Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:07 am

Crickett, how blessed you are to have had THAT experience!!!! Those four words must resonate in you head/heart on a regular basis.

Man, that is wicked cool!!!!
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:43 am

Hey! I only have a few minutes I can be on here, so I better make it fast!

... Crickett... I think that story was so beautiful!!! I was smiling as I read it, such a wonderful experience!!! To see him smile, and laugh must have been great... Especially when he said the words "I-Love-You-Too" *DIES THINKING ABOUT IT*

Anyway... About him swearing off touring, I still have hope that he will... After all, it was just one line in the NY Times, but I still have a lot of clues that lead me to believe there is still a lot of hope for a tour. Even if he really has sworn it off, maybe he will change his mind with time!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Bern on Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:10 pm

I have to agree with Billster Sylvian hated touring even in the Japan days and when he went solo stated he would never tour again (granted he didn't until 1988) but after that tour he again stated he would never tour again, he always credits Fripp with getting him back into live performances and I would never be 100% sure Sylvian would never tour again so keep your fingers (and toes) crossed
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:19 pm

I agree that to think along the lines of him never performing again is upsetting.
But, in my heart of hearts I truly believe he won't forsake it. It can't be easy to be on the road, but on some level it has to have a level of fulfillment to get feedback from the people who enjoy what you do.
He has been saying "never" since the 80s and since then he's toured a number of times. I think perhaps right now he is feeling he won't... I'm sure something could come up to change his mind.
I know that he has changed me "spiritually" as a person and due to my love of his music I have decided to follow my true path in life ... very different in many respects to the path I thought I'd be on. For that I'd at least like to have the opportunity to thank him by paying him for a live performance.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sheisnot on Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:17 pm

Well said, Gods. My sentiments exactly.
It is all entirely perfect--it is as it should be.
sheisnot
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:42 am

Totally agree with Gods.
It's a little bit upsetting to hear something like that from him , but I can understand he doesn't feel like touring right now.
I read on an interview from the Dead Bees promo that he actually enjoyed to play live.
I'd love to see him live sometime. It would be an unforgettable experience and, yes, a way to thank him for making my life a little bit easier.
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sonic_chronicler on Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:29 pm

Echoing what Billster and Bern said, DS has often been reported as saying he doesn't like touring, or that he will never tour again, but every few years he goes out on the road.

I think he only does it when he thinks he has something new to say, or some new way to say it.

Who would have thought that someone as (seemingly) reticent to play live would put himself through the trauma of playing solo as he did in the Slowfire tour? Who would have guessed he would 'rock out' with Fripp?

DS isn't someone to just constantly tread the boards to bring in some money, rehashing all the old stuff (Yes I know he did the Everything and Nothing Tour) when he's ready and sure of himself, I'm sure he'll do it all again.

So, just relax and listen to the records for now - great things come to those that wait.

Sonic
(Who waited over 20 years to see Scritti Politti live - and wasn't disappointed)
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:21 pm

oh sonic i bet it was great to see green live! was a huge fan in the 80s!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sonic_chronicler on Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:47 pm

Yeah, and I was pleasantly surprised to hear that at 50 he can still do 'The Voice'

Seeing them again soon hopefully - thought I'd make the most of it in case he's 70 before he comes round again.

Sonic

PS they are touring the US shortly if anyone is interested.
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to General Discussion