Sylvian - a rare type of person?

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Re: Sylvian - a rare type of person?

Postby digimarsh on Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:22 am

Sylvian himself ,seems to be quite a complex person, a little confusing maybe.
For example, some one mentioned his initial "shyness" as a performer and reluctance to take the mike during the early days.
But this could contradict the fact that he seemed quite extrovert as an adolescent; dying his hair, wearing make up ect; this would naturally draw attention to one self,(the undesirable variety as it happend),so to some he may have seemed the type of person who enjoyed the limelight,maybe.
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:13 pm

neonico wrote:i think he wanted to be an astronaught when he didnt make it has a muscian....

david silently floating there ... ...

:smt006 Hey! I'm Astronaut! Maybe you could both come and join my Space Cadets!!! :lol:

Interesting thread. OK, re: David being shy - I think it's generally accepted that he has a tendency for shyness but as he himself once said - he was never lacking in confidence. This, I think, is one of the strange things about him. Usually shyness does involve a certain lack of confidence. I'm not sure 'shy' is the correct word to describe him (although he has used it himself). I think it's a choice with him. He chooses to be slightly outside of society. He feels more comfortable on the periphery. I have the feeling that he doesn't really want to belong to any recognisable form of society/community and when he does go against his natural inclinations it invariably doesn't work for him. Maybe it's just fate/destiny - he's just made that way and that's that.
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby BobbyVey on Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:41 pm

digimarsh wrote:Sylvian himself ,seems to be quite a complex person, a little confusing maybe.
For example, some one mentioned his initial "shyness" as a performer and reluctance to take the mike during the early days.
But this could contradict the fact that he seemed quite extrovert as an adolescent; dying his hair, wearing make up ect; this would naturally draw attention to one self,(the undesirable variety as it happend),so to some he may have seemed the type of person who enjoyed the limelight,maybe.

No, actually shyness and dying hair and make up are not in contradiction, in fact, being on stage and keeping his private side away from the public, he was hiding behind this mask, pretending to be some1 else, so it's quite logical...and common among famous adolescents too.
BobbyVey
Regular
Regular

Postby Hawk on Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:10 pm

.....this is so weird, the above observations are exactly how I've always been described...it's really useful to read because I often confuse myself with all these conflicts and opposites.... to call it a 'choice to be shy' seems very accurate... It's so hard to describe - like people could so easily jump to the conclusion that I have incredibly low self esteem as I never push myself forwards and I don't like showing off and I tend to pick at my faults a lot... but at the same time, inside, I am very proud and happy with who I am - I just have so many aims I want to reach and I feel I don't want to say anything is for certain as I still have so much to learn... I have also always loved performing, and wanted to be an actor when I was younger, which people could never understand as off the stage I was so quiet and didn't really talk to anyone. I wore weird clothes and make up and looked a bit out of my time, but I also dreamed of being invisible... People kept telling me that by how I made my appearance, I was bound to attract attention, but for some reason I still did it...and it wasn't to be in anyone else's favour but my own... maybe by being SO different I was guaranteed for no one to talk to me...? Maybe the aims I had, and still have, require me to be completely solitary so I distance myself on first impression to save time? But that doesn't necessarily mean I'm 'scared' of communication... I know I sort of set up 'rules' and disciplines for myself, that would seem pointless to anyone else, in a way I feel I have 'created' my personality... I may seem to be away with the fairies but actually I am very in control... sort of like being both the puppet and the puppet master... and yet I wouldn't say I have a personality 'disorder' as I am perfectly conscious and happy with how things are. Another area is intelligence - I would say David is very clever, but he would probably disagree in all sincerity. People have always called me clever and yet I have never achieved amazingly high grades and I'm not stereotypically academic and I'm terrible at remembering facts and figures... Also, I say I don't like talking to people, and yet I do enjoy engaging in all the discussions on this message board and am perhaps a little too vocal online... Maybe the issue is control. I like to control how I come across. I think David has also been described as a control freak?

Wow I feel some sort of a light.

Can't help thinking of a line from Manafon though.... "too much self in his writing." And the way David says it... it means so much.

Here is a picture.
Attachments
art therapy2.jpg
art therapy2.jpg (216.77 KiB) Viewed 10108 times
Hawk
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby missouriman on Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:43 pm

Does Hawk have problems? Man. Just feel like giving you a hug and tucking you up and reading you a story. And plying you with vodka. That will help. We all respond to vodka like sunshine after weeks of gray.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby digimarsh on Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:00 am

I guess Hawk is still quite young ,compared to my three and half dozen anyway. Younger people can, not always, be more analytical of themselves and crucially how they are percieved by others.As you get older you become less aware or concerned about such things, its all part of our development i guess.I have 2 children and i think that has changed my perspective and outlook on life too.Its also true that more intelligent people are more sensative aswell, Hawk will be fine ,but the vodka and one of Missouriman's tales won't do anyone any harm i'd venture to suggest.
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:21 pm

digimarsh wrote:the vodka and one of Missouriman's tales won't do anyone any harm

Nor any good. :lol:

To Hawk: that drawing is beautiful.

About personalities: I like keeping to myself, apparently avoiding contact with others, and I am perceived as 'shy'. Actually, all I'm doing is making a choice, choosing to open up with people that 'deserve' it. It's not a question of feeling I'm a member of a 'superior race', or of a 'superior intellect', it's just that I don't care giving anything to anyone that I feel won't know what to do with it. If I had to say "1 and 1 is 2", I wouldn't want to say it to someone that I believe would look at me thinking: "Yeah, alright, if you say so!", nor to someone that would end up arguing that "that may be right mathematically, but logically blah blah..." I would want to say it to a person that can actually see the process of 1 and 1 becoming 2, even though he should go on to prove me wrong.
One of my best friends is a person I met 16 years ago, on my first day at work. It took one look and we were smiling at each other, feeling as close as if we'd been buddies for ages. We don't hang around together much, but whenever we're together it's like when I plug my iPod to my computer: it's all there, in full view. We wouldn't even need to talk, if it wasn't such good fun being absolute idiots!
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:59 pm

inkinthewell wrote:
digimarsh wrote:the vodka and one of Missouriman's tales won't do anyone any harm

Nor any good. :lol:

To Hawk: that drawing is beautiful.

About personalities: I like keeping to myself, apparently avoiding contact with others, and I am perceived as 'shy'. Actually, all I'm doing is making a choice, choosing to open up with people that 'deserve' it. It's not a question of feeling I'm a member of a 'superior race', or of a 'superior intellect', it's just that I don't care giving anything to anyone that I feel won't know what to do with it. If I had to say "1 and 1 is 2", I wouldn't want to say it to someone that I believe would look at me thinking: "Yeah, alright, if you say so!", nor to someone that would end up arguing that "that may be right mathematically, but logically blah blah..." I would want to say it to a person that can actually see the process of 1 and 1 becoming 2, even though he should go on to prove me wrong.
One of my best friends is a person I met 16 years ago, on my first day at work. It took one look and we were smiling at each other, feeling as close as if we'd been buddies for ages. We don't hang around together much, but whenever we're together it's like when I plug my iPod to my computer: it's all there, in full view. We wouldn't even need to talk, if it wasn't such good fun being absolute idiots!

I guarantee my stories and a bottle of Absolut will put a smile on Hawk's face. The downside I have found is that people also become addicted to one or the other. Only two people have jumped from the ledge in my care. Not bad really. I think the picture needs coloring in.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Hawk on Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:29 am

missouriman wrote:Does Hawk have problems? Man. Just feel like giving you a hug and tucking you up and reading you a story. And plying you with vodka. That will help. We all respond to vodka like sunshine after weeks of gray.

Thank you. Current equivalent = sugary tea and Manafon. Hawk likes listening to stories but has never tried vodka... the shape of its letters are pleasing to write.

digimarsh wrote:I guess Hawk is still quite young ,compared to my three and half dozen anyway. Younger people can, not always, be more analytical of themselves and crucially how they are percieved by others.As you get older you become less aware or concerned about such things, its all part of our development i guess.I have 2 children and i think that has changed my perspective and outlook on life too.Its also true that more intelligent people are more sensative aswell, Hawk will be fine ,but the vodka and one of Missouriman's tales won't do anyone any harm i'd venture to suggest.

:-) Am 22. Am glad to hear that. Thick clouds are fun to stumble around in but soon realise you don't really get anywhere if you don't make some sort of clear pathways.

I remember reading somewhere... David changed his outlook severely when he started his solo career... and I think that was when he was a couple of years older than me... Is so weird thinking of possible big change...but I guess there will not be many other opportunities to do so...

I hear people talk a lot about regretting what they did as a teenager, but not so much after that... so maybe David not so different in that respect. Maybe it's just that you don't often get the chance to follow someone's life for such a long time period. Bowie was same...but he seems to have gone away now... I wonder if Sylvian will hit a point in the future where he will just disappear and we won't hear anything more?

Time is so strange. I often wish I could live forever. But, then, I don't think we would be such interesting people if we didn't have deadlines and milestones and things we wanted to do to be remembered by...

inkinthewell wrote:If I had to say "1 and 1 is 2", I wouldn't want to say it to someone that I believe would look at me thinking: "Yeah, alright, if you say so!", nor to someone that would end up arguing that "that may be right mathematically, but logically blah blah..." I would want to say it to a person that can actually see the process of 1 and 1 becoming 2, even though he should go on to prove me wrong.

I like that explanation very much. My father is one of those "mathematical / logical" people who would always set out to prove me wrong no matter what I said... not to be nasty, just because he believed I would learn from it... but to me there is no such thing as 'right' or 'wrong' so was difficult to relate... Maybe if we look to converse with specific types of people, the internet is good. I am guessing people who post on a Sylvian website are different to those who post on a Westlife or Christina Aguilera site (although I may be mistaken)... :roll:

missouriman wrote:I think the picture needs coloring in.

Oo I tried to but it looked bad... Here is a colourful picture.
Attachments
shatter.jpg
shatter.jpg (164.16 KiB) Viewed 10118 times
Hawk
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby missouriman on Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:03 pm

I am twice as old as Hawk and remember feeling this way also. The weight of the world indeed comes at you everyday. It will all be better in the end. Trust us that have gone on ahead of you, buddy. It is worth the wait and effort.

The color pic is cool. The bottle of vodka is here and two glasses ready. It helps move along the long winter nights.

Manafon too. It is perfect for the America I know now.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:20 pm

Hawk you dont need vodka you are just so creative you drawings are amazing my favorte the black and white foto

they are just skinny like me.. :oops: :oops:
neonico

Postby Astronaut on Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:14 am

Hi Hawk, your artwork is fantastic. Really special. Thank you for sharing with us.
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Hawk on Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:39 pm

Thank you :-)
Hawk
Obsessed
Obsessed