'Different' DS songs...

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

'Different' DS songs...

Postby Silver Moon on Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:58 pm

Lately, I have been listening to a lot of 'different' DS songs as in, songs that sound like a different genre... I have come to really really love these songs because they really drive home that genre, in Mr. Sylvian's own distinct way. Songs like:

Endgame
Midnight Sun
Cover Me With Flowers
Ballad of a Deadman
Money For All

What are your favorite 'different' DS songs, what makes them different to you, and what do they remind you of?

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Re: 'Different' DS songs...

Postby Tin Bird on Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:30 am

I really like exit/delete...why? hmmm...it makes me think of a 17 year boy losing his first girlfriend, yet it couches it in a "cute" slighly off kilter poem like what might be written in the back of a school notebook...or something like that! ;-)
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Fire Rose 45 on Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:37 pm

Great question, Silver Moon. I just discovered "Midnight Sun" and I simply love it. It would be great used in one of the old black and white P. I. movies or film noir. The mental image I get is of a P. I. (ala Bogart, complete with trenchcoat and fedora) who has reached a point in a case where he's burned out and doesn't know where to look next. He goes into a sultry, smoky nightclub to have a drink and a smoke and think things over. While he's there they introduce the entertainment for the night and David and a small ensemble come out and play this song. It's just so bluesy and jazzy and mysterious and I think would be perfect in this type of film. :-)
"The question that sometimes makes me hazy... am I or the others crazy?" -- Albert Einstein

"This band is perfect - just don't scratch the surface." -- Duran Duran
Fire Rose 45
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Silver Moon on Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:49 pm

I guess to me, Midnight Sun really reminds me of Cajun culture... Like New Orleans... Like creeping around the French quarter at night or something!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Return to General Discussion