Erstwhile

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Re: Erstwhile

Postby jon abbey on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:12 am

sure, send it on when you've finished. The Room isn't from this year, though, it's a couple of years old.
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jon abbey on Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:17 am

I started a Facebook group for Erstwhile:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wal ... 8977909814
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jon abbey on Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:53 am

so, now that Manafon has been out for a few months, I'm wondering if people have used that as a jumping off point to the vast world of EAI, and if so, how much, did they enjoy it, too daunting, uninteresting, whatever reactions people might have.

I also wanted to let people know there is a sale currently going on through the end of February on the entire Erstwhile catalog, details here:

http://ihatemusic.noquam.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5183
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jon abbey on Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:06 pm

bumped for Adrian and blemished and whoever else, happy to talk about anything Erst-related...
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Adrian on Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:17 am

Apart from other comments, there are 4 record labels I regularly check, and which rarely disappoint - Samadhi, Erstwhile, Runegrammofon and Tonefloat. Of these four the one that is most interesting/challenging/annoying or whatever you want to call it is Erstwhile. Consistently high level of both musicianship and production, beautifully packaged.
It has changed the way I listen to music (with more attention, and with less of a 'binge'-attitude), and the music I listen to (improv/jazz/soundart or whatever the genre is called - other musics I find increasingly difficult to listen to). So Jon, Thanks! [or not, of course ;-)]
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Adrian on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:10 am

So, I received two Erst discs a little while back.
One was MIMEO/John Tilbury, 'The hands of Caravaggio':
MIMEO is a large electro acoustic improvising ensemble, to my ears a softer (although they can make quite a noise) variant of Evan Parker's Electro-Acoustic Ensemble, or the Circulasione Totale Orchestra. These members improvise a backdrop for John Tilbury to work his magic against - but perversely Keith Rowe has asked one member of MIMEO to play 'inside piano', which he does, inside Tilbury's piano, making it difficult and sometimes impossible for John to do his pretty stuff. Reading this back I can see this is not the best way of putting it, but strangely enough something magical happens because of the randomness of Tilbury's contribution to the proceedings, thanks to Cor Fuhlers f-ing up his efforts; which is not exactly what is happening actually - both John and Cor are contributing, it's just that they are both doing it in a different way on the same instrument. All of this makes for a wonderful listen, and gives enough interesting material for each listen, while always holding something back for the next.
Which brings me to the second disc, Martin Siewert and Martin Brandlmayr, 'Too Beautiful to Burn'. I ordered this disc having listened to the snippets on the Erstwhile site, after Jon suggested this album to me, having read my comment on the 'Sleepwalkers' thread that I would love to hear more of Brandlmayr, particularly together with sinewaves and such. Which is exactly what this album is (bang on the money Jon - thanks!) - this is more understated affair (parts of it like an instrumental Sleepwalkers), and of the two I think the more open ended (Caravaggio is sometimes a bit dense) - absolutely mesmerizing and I can't recommend it highly enough.
I am going to have a listen to all my Erst discs in a little while and see which ones I totally recommend. This second one for sure, I already know.
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby jon abbey on Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:00 am

Seven years later, I'm back, if anyone has any questions or feedback...
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Tin Bird on Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:11 am

jon abbey wrote:Seven years later, I'm back, if anyone has any questions or feedback...

Jon, You have those new releases coming out in June w artwork created by David. I plan to look into those. I did wonder if you know if he is making any new music of his own or not. Thank you.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby jon abbey on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:44 pm

That's not up to me to answer, whether or not I have any idea, sorry.
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jon abbey on Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:06 am

I'm kind of overcome by this interview David did in the new issue of Mojo:

The Room Extended came out on ErstSolo in December 2016. It was my 100th release ever, on all imprints combined, precisely on my 50th b-day, probably the release I am most proud of in 20 years of producing and also probably my own answer to this question currently. It is four hours long (4 CDs) and there are so many layers there, I have only scratched the surface myself.

Bandcamp link if you are interested, the whole first disc is free streaming:

https://erstwhilerecords.bandcamp.com/a ... m-extended
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Blemished on Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:49 am

Thanks for posting this, Jon. Really enjoyed this, especially as it manages to capture his sense of humour!
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Previous

Return to General Discussion