Erstwhile

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Re: Erstwhile

Postby jon abbey on Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:49 pm

baht habit wrote: Alas, I have been informed that no percussionists or drummers of any sort would be on Manafon.

I'm pretty sure Eddie Prevost played on at least one of the sessions, although that doesn't mean it'll make the final cut.
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby baht habit on Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:10 pm

jon abbey wrote:
baht habit wrote: Alas, I have been informed that no percussionists or drummers of any sort would be on Manafon.

I'm pretty sure Eddie Prevost played on at least one of the sessions, although that doesn't mean it'll make the final cut.

Really? That would be incredible. AMM would be better represented if that comes to fruition. The information I received regarding 'no percussionists' was from the writer/reviewer who was responsible for writing the Manafon press release for SamadhiSound records. He had the opportunity to first listen to the cd back in late winter/early spring and I am only going by the claim he made to me. There is a chance that he doesn't entirely recognize percussion when he hears it :wink: ... though he seems to be extremely astute, so who knows?

And yes I really do enjoy the Siewert/Brandlmayr collaboration and the work they do in Trapist as well. I haven't heard any Radian yet, so thanks, I will check that out.

I have only read of Morton Feldman, so I will seek that work out as well.

Thanks so much.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:36 pm

Simonp wrote:What do you say to those who consider the likes of Keith Rowe, Derek Bailey et all as talentless noise makers?

Though I realize that the question was directed toward Mr Abbey, I wanted to point out that both guitarists mentioned above had begun as conventional jazz guitarists early in their careers and even if the unique directions their music took may never quite appeal to one's ear, surely neither could be described as 'talentless'. Both musicians first learned and applied the fundamentals of their chosen instrument prior to setting their sights on deconstructing the manner in which guitar is played and thus developing their highly experimental sounds. In 2001 with the Ballads cd, Bailey even returned to his roots to a certain degree by revisiting the sound of structured chords on the many romantic standards he once performed.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Adrian on Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:15 am

Picasso was actually a very good draughtsman (meaning he could draw beautiful lifelike pictures) - he chose to do something different with his talent - which is why he is considered (rightly or wrongly) to have been a great artist. Heck, Van Gogh never could draw a straight line... :-)
I for one want the artists I enjoy to follow (musical or otherwise) to challenge me and keep going in whatever direction they wish. Otherwise, ... well you know what I could write here...
but ffs David, release it already... :-)
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:47 pm

Mr Abbey,
Have you ever asked Keith Rowe what the initials AMM actually stand for?

Also, thanks so much for the recommendation of Radian. Their stuff really grooves rhythmically. I know I mentioned it on other threads, but I am truly disappointed that Brandlmayr's drumming will most likely not be a part of Manafon, but that is how things go. At least they collaborated on Sleepwalkers.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby jon abbey on Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:07 am

baht habit wrote:Mr Abbey,
Have you ever asked Keith Rowe what the initials AMM actually stand for?

haha, yeah, more than a few times, he won't even tell me.

Also, thanks so much for the recommendation of Radian. Their stuff really grooves rhythmically.

they're really great live on a good sound system if you ever get a chance to see them, although they play the tracks precisely the way they are on the records. Brandlmayr is a magician.
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Adrian on Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:31 am

I ordered the 2cd by Keith Rowe and Sachiko M. Will be interesting to hear what these two artists have done without Sylvian whahahaha. Seriously though; I have Erstlive04 (I thinks - it's that triple cd with these two plus Nakamura and Yoshihide) and I really like it. I also have 'Field' by Polwechsel with Tilbury, and I really like that as well. And people wonder why I am so excited about Manafon two months in advance...
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby jon abbey on Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:02 pm

Adrian wrote:I ordered the 2cd by Keith Rowe and Sachiko M.

thanks!

Will be interesting to hear what these two artists have done without Sylvian whahahaha. Seriously though; I have Erstlive04 (I thinks - it's that triple cd with these two plus Nakamura and Yoshihide) and I really like it.

ErstLive 5, 4 is the one with Fennesz/Pita/Otomo/Sachiko.

hope you enjoy 'contact'!
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Adrian on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:34 am

Well I have received the Keith Rowe/Sachiko M double cd 'Contact' and listened to it last night. Absolutely no structure, melody, hooks or whatever, just 4 'tracks' running to 2 hours in total containing the most beautiful music I've heard in a long time. Headphone listening for sure. At times abrasive, but always extremely open ended and going nowhere very slowly - it just IS. And it IS lovely. This really makes me wonder how much of what these two do here is similar to the Manafon sessions, and how much of it was left intact by DavyBoy...
and then there are people who like Jamie Cullum or Katie M. - we will never understand each other...
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby jon abbey on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:00 am

thanks, Adrian! there's an interesting review along similar lines out today that people may be interested in:

http://olewnick.blogspot.com/2009/07/to ... tough.html
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Adrian on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:45 am

I just received and listened to Polwechsel/Fennesz, 'Wrapped Islands'. Stunning!
I can hear where David got his inspiration for Manafon from - it's almost like a 'the sessions' for parts of that album. Also, I can hear bits that remind me of Plight & Premonition. Highly recommended and it would be in my top ten for this year, but it was released in 2002, so I can't put it in there.
Time to go home and listen to the 4 Erstwhile discs from 2009 that came at the same time. Bit of a Keith Rowe fest (the 3 latest Erstlive discs, which are him solo on one disc, and with Taku Unami on another and with Toshimaru Nakamura on the third; and his latest solo studio album The Room). Go to the site, listen to snippets, order, and enjoy!
The latest Norah Jones album can wait... :-)
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby pinenut on Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:42 am

Hello John,

I looked up the Erstwhile label online and it certainly does seem to contain some very interesting pieces. I have not purchased any as yet as I am still making my way through the samples online.

One question I have concerns the origin of the label. It is certainly a very bold move to dedicate a label to a genre of music that is not mainstream in any way. That in itself must pose financial challenges.

I would be interested to know where the label originated from and your own motivations concerning the development of the label and the artists.

Thanks

Ross
pinenut
Regular
Regular

Postby neonico on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:22 am

pinenut wrote:Hello John,

I looked up the Erstwhile label online and it certainly does seem to contain some very interesting pieces. I have not purchased any as yet as I am still making my way through the samples online.

One question I have concerns the origin of the label. It is certainly a very bold move to dedicate a label to a genre of music that is not mainstream in any way. That in itself must pose financial challenges.

I would be interested to know where the label originated from and your own motivations concerning the development of the label and the artists.

Thanks

Ross

i would also be interested to know Jon where the label orginated from and also its whishes for the future...

i havent listened to the samples till now but at the weekend i will do so..
neonico

Postby jon abbey on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:11 pm

great, Adrian! now that you have all four releases, I highly recommend listening to Keith's four sets from that Tokyo weekend in order sometime (Unami duo, solo, second track on contact, Toshi duo).

pinenut wrote:One question I have concerns the origin of the label. It is certainly a very bold move to dedicate a label to a genre of music that is not mainstream in any way. That in itself must pose financial challenges.

sure, this interview was done a while back, but I think should answer your questions. if it doesn't, please feel free to ask again, or any followups, or anything else about Erstwhile or the musicians on the label.

http://www.stylusmagazine.com/feature.php?ID=55
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Adrian on Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:24 am

Hi Jon - interesting read. Also thanks for the suggestion of listening to mr. Rowe's series in sequence. Will do so hopefully this weekend.
Also, number three in my top ten for 2009 is Sachiko M./Keith Rowe - Contact. (you know my numbers 1 and 2) Number 5 will either be Keith Rowe - The Room, or Keith Rowe/Toshimaru Nakamura - Erstlive 008; but I need more listens for both of them. Then either of them might still end up in the top ten. Would you be interested to get the full list in due course?
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion