I don't know if this is already a topic, I did search but..

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

I don't know if this is already a topic, I did search but..

Postby suzannahsylvian on Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:30 am

HAS ANYONE ACTUALLY EVER MET DAVID SYLVIAN?
If so tell, tell, tell!
suzannahsylvian
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: I don't know if this is already a topic, I did search but..

Postby anortherncod on Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:27 am

Yes - fishie has... I apologise if I've told this story before, but here goes...

David wrote the score to a dance piece called Kin, and I went to the opening night in London, in September 1987 (I was only 16!!!) with my then boyfriend, SW (but not THAT SW PT fans!). We saw Debi Zornes of Bamboo fanzine fame - I'd already been to one of the Bamboo parties and Stephen had come with me. After the performance was over Stephen said to me; "why don't you follow Debi? She'll know where David is". I did, and of course Debi DID know where he was; he shook my hand and signed my programme. Afterwards I wrote him a letter, and he replied to me - I still have the reply. This is all detailed in a back issue of Bamboo btw...

Fast forward 21 years, and I met Debi Zornes again at the No-Man gig in Shepherd's Bush last August. Funny old world, innit?
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby suzannahsylvian on Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:59 am

anortherncod wrote:Yes - fishie has... I apologise if I've told this story before, but here goes...

David wrote the score to a dance piece called Kin, and I went to the opening night in London, in September 1987 (I was only 16!!!) with my then boyfriend, SW (but not THAT SW PT fans!). We saw Debi Zornes of Bamboo fanzine fame - I'd already been to one of the Bamboo parties and Stephen had come with me. After the performance was over Stephen said to me; "why don't you follow Debi? She'll know where David is". I did, and of course Debi DID know where he was; he shook my hand and signed my programme. Afterwards I wrote him a letter, and he replied to me - I still have the reply. This is all detailed in a back issue of Bamboo btw...

Fast forward 21 years, and I met Debi Zornes again at the No-Man gig in Shepherd's Bush last August. Funny old world, innit?

OH MY GOD! That is soo cooool! I bet he looked AMAZING! <3<3
suzannahsylvian
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby anortherncod on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:25 am

^^^ Well, he didn't have the blonde hairstyle at that time. His hair was its natural colour and was about shoulder length and he had a bit of stubble. I wrote to Debi Zornes as well afterwards to say thank you, and I remember that when she wrote back to me she said "he didn't look like David" because we had been used to the Quiet Life onwards look - but by 1987 that had gone!
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Barbierian on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:38 am

Ooh you lucky girl - I'm more than a little envious!!! Now if I tried to be clever and follow someone who I thought may lead me to someone or something special I'd probably end up in the gent's lav or somewhere equally :oops:

Tell us though, how did David come across - did he say much?
Barbierian
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby anortherncod on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:55 am

I gushed and said "the music was really good" or something similarly stupid... :oops: and he said "good, I'm glad you liked it". There was a queue iirc and I suppose I was a bit dumbstruck being only 16 and meeting my idol. But he came across well, very polite...
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby suzannahsylvian on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:11 pm

That really is so awesome!
I know I'll go all star-struck if I meeet a celeb. Hahah. I'll try not to, but I have a feeling I will.
suzannahsylvian
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Barbierian on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:14 pm

Oh hum, you never know maybe someday ...... I only hope he proves those who reckon he won't tour again wrong, and if he does, I'll be more than happy to stand in line and no doubt totally humiliate myself by losing the power of speech/control of my lower limbs :smt101 :lol:
Barbierian
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby ob8 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:32 pm

i met David in 1993 after the Manchester show with Robert Fripp, i was so nervous, i got an autograph and told him how much i enjoyed the show. He had quite a few people around him and was very gracious and obliging and he seemed a little shy with the attention. I met Mick, Steve and Richard after they performed in Leeds with No Man in 1992. The pub closed and we we locked in talking to the lead singer. After closing the boys appeared and were having a drink. We joined them and all 3 were a great laugh. Mick got a bit of a ribbing off a mate about Dalis Car but he took it a good spirit. We had been to see them i think it was the day before in Manchester and the day before that No Man had done a session on the radio and it was revealed that Rich was a Millwall fan and they were playing that night. Between the songs in Manchester we were shouting Millwall and Rich was smiling. When we told him the next night that it was us he was just laughing. All three of them we very friendly and down to earth guys. I met Mick again in Italy in 1995 when a friend of mine arranged a show, he could not believe i had gone all that way to see his show. After the show we all went for dinner and it was a lovely experience. Mick is a gentleman.
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby suzannahsylvian on Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:44 pm

ob8 wrote:i met David in 1993 after the Manchester show with Robert Fripp, i was so nervous, i got an autograph and told him how much i enjoyed the show. He had quite a few people around him and was very gracious and obliging and he seemed a little shy with the attention. I met Mick, Steve and Richard after they performed in Leeds with No Man in 1992. The pub closed and we we locked in talking to the lead singer. After closing the boys appeared and were having a drink. We joined them and all 3 were a great laugh. Mick got a bit of a ribbing off a mate about Dalis Car but he took it a good spirit. We had been to see them i think it was the day before in Manchester and the day before that No Man had done a session on the radio and it was revealed that Rich was a Millwall fan and they were playing that night. Between the songs in Manchester we were shouting Millwall and Rich was smiling. When we told him the next night that it was us he was just laughing. All three of them we very friendly and down to earth guys. I met Mick again in Italy in 1995 when a friend of mine arranged a show, he could not believe i had gone all that way to see his show. After the show we all went for dinner and it was a lovely experience. Mick is a gentleman.

Thats awesome! I wannt meet them all so much. Mainly David, but yeah:)
You're very lucky!
suzannahsylvian
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ob8 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:45 pm

thanks i know i am very fortunate to have met them all. Just been in the loft :D
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Barbierian on Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:02 pm

ob8 wrote:i met David in 1993 after the Manchester show with Robert Fripp, i was so nervous, i got an autograph and told him how much i enjoyed the show. He had quite a few people around him and was very gracious and obliging and he seemed a little shy with the attention. I met Mick, Steve and Richard after they performed in Leeds with No Man in 1992. The pub closed and we we locked in talking to the lead singer. After closing the boys appeared and were having a drink. We joined them and all 3 were a great laugh. Mick got a bit of a ribbing off a mate about Dalis Car but he took it a good spirit. We had been to see them i think it was the day before in Manchester and the day before that No Man had done a session on the radio and it was revealed that Rich was a Millwall fan and they were playing that night. Between the songs in Manchester we were shouting Millwall and Rich was smiling. When we told him the next night that it was us he was just laughing. All three of them we very friendly and down to earth guys. I met Mick again in Italy in 1995 when a friend of mine arranged a show, he could not believe i had gone all that way to see his show. After the show we all went for dinner and it was a lovely experience. Mick is a gentleman.

How absolutely brilliant :-D

So Rich is a Millwall fan :smt107 ........ ummmm .... no it's ok :? ...... no-one's perfect .... not even him :lol: :lol:
Barbierian
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby anortherncod on Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:42 pm

Barbierian wrote:So Rich is a Millwall fan :smt107 ........ ummmm .... no it's ok :? ...... no-one's perfect .... not even him :lol: :lol:

I didn't know that... oh well, like you say, no one is perfect :wink:

I have met Rich too, albeit very briefly...
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Barbierian on Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:11 pm

anortherncod wrote:
Barbierian wrote:So Rich is a Millwall fan :smt107 ........ ummmm .... no it's ok :? ...... no-one's perfect .... not even him :lol: :lol:

I didn't know that... oh well, like you say, no one is perfect :wink:

I have met Rich too, albeit very briefly...

Now she tells me :roll: - go on then, render me completely green with envy and spill . Seriously, I need to up my game, I've quite clearly not spent enough time hanging around stage doors (alright, to be fair I've not spent any time hanging around stage doors) .....

Note to Self: Start hanging around stage doors.
Barbierian
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby anortherncod on Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:01 pm

Well, here's what happened. Fishie should be in bed, but I do like telling this story... :wink:

Last October PT played in Indig02. A group of us PTFers met beforehand and went in together. Now, 'Scots Pine' and his lovely wife revealed they had NEVER been to a PT gig without meeting the band afterwards - so it sounded promising.

After the gig we all hung around conspicuously outside the doors. If anyone is familiar with the layout of the 02, you may have noticed there's a balcony above the Indig02 sign. So we were all stood there like lemons... and all of a sudden Scots Pine had disappeared... then he was waving to us from the balcony. And we all charged!!! :lol:

Another of our group (currently with the username The Fly Moves Sideways on PTF) said to me, "look, there's someone familiar at the bar, with his back to us". Guess who?

BUT... security had seen us all charge and were coming to throw us out, so being a reet big neshie I was reversing back out of the private party that we had gatecrashed.

However, Mr and Mrs Scots Pine had been at the front of the charge - and Mrs SP said to Richard, "we've got your biggest fan here" and beckoned me forward.

I shook his hand and said something like (with reference to the questions we asked of him here, which I emailed):

"I'mNatashaandIemailedyousomequestionsandyouansweredsothankyouverymuch"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Richard never got a word in edgeways!!!

But it was only because I was worried about being thrown out - afterwards we DID get thrown out. Nonetheless, I linked the arm of He Who Would End Up Breaking My Heart (he got Steven Wilson's setlist - must have been a lucky night) cooing "I met Richard Barbieri!!!"

And there it is!
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to General Discussion