I don't know if this is already a topic, I did search but..

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Re: I don't know if this is already a topic, I did search but..

Postby Simonp on Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:57 am

I read that this house was sold when they divorced so neither of them live at this property. Samadhi Studio could be set up wherever Sylvian is located. He could have a room in the back of his new house which could be where his current recording facility is set up.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby becky on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:00 am

Simonp wrote:Sylvian sold the Hampshire home when he and Ingrid divorced. According to his biography he now splits his time between New York and London.

The biog might be a little bit out of date...According to the interview he did in The Wire - he says he's been living back in the depths of the New Hampshire Forest in virtual isolation...only visitors he gets are his two daughters...he spends 90% of his time alone... :( And he talks about Manafon having been borne out of living in isolation...

I'd be Interested to know where you read they'd sold the ashram house :smt017 ...I thought Ingrid got to stay in it so the kids weren't unnecessarily uprooted...
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Astronaut on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:51 am

becky wrote:
Simonp wrote:Sylvian sold the Hampshire home when he and Ingrid divorced. According to his biography he now splits his time between New York and London.

The biog might be a little bit out of date...According to the interview he did in The Wire - he says he's been living back in the depths of the New Hampshire Forest in virtual isolation...only visitors he gets are his two daughters...he spends 90% of his time alone... :( And he talks about Manafon having been borne out of living in isolation...

I'd be Interested to know where you read they'd sold the ashram house :smt017 ...I thought Ingrid got to stay in it so the kids weren't unnecessarily uprooted...

Yes that's what I thought too Becky. Also in an interview David did back in 2004 (ie: mid divorce) he was in the place by himself preparing to move out and he did an interview in which he described being in a long room with lots of windows and how a blackbird kept coming up to one of the windows and was tapping on it and David got all sentimental about it (probably thought it was his bird-shamen-guru-spirit-guide or something) and I thought it was the room Ingrid was describing here:

I’ve heard you say that you’re inspired by the changing seasons in New England where you live. You have a few songs on the album, particularly the song “No Goodbyes”, which is about relationship, but also about place. I know you make a lot of music in your house and it seems to play an important role in your work.

Well the seasons are very important to me because I sit in my studio that has ten windows and look out into my garden. I see if it’s springtime and everything’s in bloom or winter and everything is shut down inside and sleeping. I see if it’s summer, which can represent pure easiness and joy, or fall, a period when things are changing and you have to prepare for the long winter that’s coming. That happens in relationships too. To me the seasons really represent the cycles within a relationship, an experience, or a lifetime lived somewhere. It’s all related. This record took two years and the windows painted a backdrop of my emotional landscape.

I know it's not really that important, just idle curiosity on my part as to where Manafon was actually recorded? Sounds like a very fractured and dislocated process to me and I'm curious about how that reflects in the finished product. :D
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Nicrobliz on Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:10 am

Everything that becky said is pretty much what I have read or come across over the years. The only vague point is the studio - is it still within the grounds of Ingrid's house or has it been relocated? I'm assuming he's living in New Hampshire in order to be near his daugthers...
Nicrobliz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Previous

Return to General Discussion