I don't know if this is already a topic, I did search but..

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Re: I don't know if this is already a topic, I did search but..

Postby Silver Moon on Sun May 03, 2009 9:56 pm

Ok, ok.... Enough about the censor! :lol: It is supposed to be dumb! I laughed at 'poop stain' anyhow. ... And just like 'Dancin Davie' ... It is tradition! It has graced these topics since JapanSylvian was born.

Anyhoo... I have never met any of the Japan gentlemen EXCEPT Richard Barbieri... Who I have to say is so, so sweet and approachable! It was actually an accident. In regular Vapor Trail style, we were ridiculously early for the show (about 5 hours early, lol) but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise! As we were walking toward the venue, I saw someone walking our way. From about 150 feet, I instinctively knew it was him. After breaking every single bone in Matt's hand, Mr. Barbieri stopped, and said enthusiastically while pointing his fingers: "I know you!" ... The blood rushed out of my head, as I didn't know if this was a bad thing or a good thing yet. ... Of course it was a great thing, and we chit-chatted a LOT before and after the show. Such a sweet, down to earth man. Suzanne Barbieri is also very sweet. Though I have never met her, I don't need to, to know she is a great person! ... Mr. B was def. the most approachable in PT (besides John Wesley... He chatted with everyone for a long time too, just like he was an average-joe here with us!) I look forward to hopefully saying Hi again up in the big apple for the fall PT shows!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby inkinthewell on Mon May 04, 2009 4:01 pm

Sorry if I drive this train backwards...

Barbierian wrote:So Rich is a Millwall fan :smt107 ........ ummmm .... no it's ok :? ...... no-one's perfect .... not even him :lol: :lol:

In some BBC sessions I got God knows where, Steven Wilson introduces Richard as "the Mantovani of Millwall"!!! :lol:
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Mon May 04, 2009 4:17 pm

Silver Moon wrote:Mr. Barbieri stopped, and said enthusiastically while pointing his fingers: "I know you!" ... The blood rushed out of my head, as I didn't know if this was a bad thing or a good thing yet. ...

I know that feeling very well Kera! :lol: :lol: :lol: I was indeed very red faced when he said my screen name pointing at me, LMAO! The problem is that I still dunno if it' was a good thing! :oops:
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Barbierian on Mon May 04, 2009 6:27 pm

inkinthewell wrote:Sorry if I drive this train backwards...

Barbierian wrote:So Rich is a Millwall fan :smt107 ........ ummmm .... no it's ok :? ...... no-one's perfect .... not even him :lol: :lol:

In some BBC sessions I got God knows where, Steven Wilson introduces Richard as "the Mantovani of Millwall"!!! :lol:

That's it then, come on Rich - sign up to Japan/Sylvian and join in, we've got your screen name sorted ..... Millwall Mantovani :lol: :lol: - so much more original than RB :wink: !!!!!!
Barbierian
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tim91 on Mon May 04, 2009 6:54 pm

I know for awhile David Sylvian lived on a small farm in southern New Hampshire but does anyone know if he still does? That would be awesome knowing that he only lived about an hour away from me. Maybe we bump into each other one of these days :D
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby neonico on Tue May 05, 2009 2:53 am

sylvian still lives in your approximatey
neonico

Postby Simonp on Tue May 05, 2009 4:19 am

Sylvian sold the Hampshire home when he and Ingrid divorced. According to his biography he now splits his time between New York and London.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Tue May 05, 2009 7:38 am

Barbierian wrote:
inkinthewell wrote:Sorry if I drive this train backwards...

That's it then, come on Rich - sign up to Japan/Sylvian and join in, we've got your screen name sorted ..... Millwall Mantovani :lol: :lol: - so much more original than RB :wink: !!!!!!

Bwhahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Tue May 05, 2009 1:55 pm

sorry your wrong simonp.
neonico

Postby Barbierian on Tue May 05, 2009 2:01 pm

:[/quote]

That's it then, come on Rich - sign up to Japan/Sylvian and join in, we've got your screen name sorted ..... Millwall Mantovani :lol: :lol: - so much more original than RB :wink: !!!!!![/quote]

Bwhahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Yes and if he does, I'll run naked down Fishergate :smt103 - somehow I think I'm safe :-D
Barbierian
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tim91 on Tue May 05, 2009 2:12 pm

neonico wrote:sylvian still lives in your approximatey

I hope!
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby becky on Tue May 05, 2009 4:40 pm

Simonp wrote:Sylvian sold the Hampshire home when he and Ingrid divorced. According to his biography he now splits his time between New York and London.

I thought Ingrid and the children got to stay in the New Hampshire home (which was a former ashram) after the divorce. I think to begin with they subdivided the house into two separate floors and Sylvian lived upstairs I think I remember him talking about this in the Australian interview that's posted on here somewhere. He also refers to wanting this in Serotonin on Snow Borne Sorrow: "There's no precision - I'm inside/outside, and I want subdivision" though I think although initially he desperately wanted to stay to be close to the children, he ultimately moved out, perhaps because Ingrid was seeing someone else and it probably got all too painful being in that close proximity...he mentions this in the beautiful poem "A diner called Heaven"

"At breakfast she called, requests only now
Wanted to know what time I'd be home
How late could I leave it?
Another man in my place"...
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby neonico on Wed May 06, 2009 2:26 am

youve got it becky and moved not far away :smt006
neonico

Postby Astronaut on Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:58 pm

neonico wrote:youve got it becky and moved not far away :smt006

I'm sure if anyone will know the answer to this question it will be Neonico! :D

OK, so Ingrid is obviously still in the former family home as referred to in the interview posted by SimonP where she describes the white room with 10 windows etc, etc, being so inspirational in her writing & composing. But, I thought DS had built his recording studio at/on site of the family home? So, does he not record there anymore? I just assumed that his work on "Manafon" was recorded there. Am I wrong?
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby becky on Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:44 am

Astronaut wrote:
neonico wrote:youve got it becky and moved not far away :smt006

I'm sure if anyone will know the answer to this question it will be Neonico! :D

OK, so Ingrid is obviously still in the former family home as referred to in the interview posted by SimonP where she describes the white room with 10 windows etc, etc, being so inspirational in her writing & composing. But, I thought DS had built his recording studio at/on site of the family home? So, does he not record there anymore? I just assumed that his work on "Manafon" was recorded there. Am I wrong?

Yes, as far as I know, the Samadhisond studio is in the grounds of the house - a former barn/outhouse that was converted into a studio, and David did say that his vocal contribution to Manafon was recorded at Samadhisound studio...so my guess is you are right...It must be a bit awkward to say the least! I have wondered if Ingrid ever sneaks into the studio to record her own stuff when the owners not there! She says her album was all recorded at Lorenzo's in Italy, but if you are a very creative person and have a recording studio sitting there in your back garden it must be so tempting...
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion