I don't know if this is already a topic, I did search but..

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Re: I don't know if this is already a topic, I did search but..

Postby Barbierian on Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:10 am

:lol: at Nat - he appears to be a very sound guy. I hope that pressing you for your story didn't deprive you of too much sleep :wink:

Of course, if I was ever lucky enough to meet him I would be the epitome of calm, collected sophistication (right after I'd picked myself up off the floor) :smt081
Barbierian
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby anortherncod on Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:31 am

I wasn't deprived of any sleep (seeing as how I didn't end up sleeping much anyway... :roll: ), but I DO like my moment of glory - even if it only lasted about 30 seconds!!! :lol:
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Barbierian on Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:06 am

anortherncod wrote:I wasn't deprived of any sleep (seeing as how I didn't end up sleeping much anyway... :roll: )

I'll refrain from asking why :smt105. I've always wondered if fish sleep, obviously not.
Barbierian
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby anortherncod on Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:06 am

Barbierian wrote:
anortherncod wrote:I wasn't deprived of any sleep (seeing as how I didn't end up sleeping much anyway... :roll: )

I'll refrain from asking why :smt105. I've always wondered if fish sleep, obviously not.

Oh, it was nothing serious - I was up late talking to a fellow forum member (and PTFer) on MSN... and then I couldn't sleep after that. (But it was nothing you did Sisterlondon! :wink: )
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby becky on Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:39 pm

I can't say I have actually met Sylvian, but might have bumped into him...when I went along to the YMO concert at the Southbank last summer, as I was arriving - coming down the steps off the embankment bridge - I saw this guy with a young Japanese woman sauntering towards me in the direction of some funky African drumming buskers who were playing by the river bank. He looked at me (probably because I was staring at him!) because I was thinking 'OMG' he looks so like David Sylvian it's uncanny...same walk, same eyes, bone structure, hair...I nearly passed out with shock...but on the forum everyone kept saying Steve said Dave wasn't there..perhaps he was but just didn't want everyone to know it??? Anyway, once I'd taken my seat cos I was there on my own like a bit of a saddo, I was watching everyone else coming in to take their seats and spotted this guy again with his Japanese young companion and they sat in a private box close to the stage on the right hand side...I noticed that they left in between the penultimate and last song...because they literally ran out quite fast which caught my attention...Guess I'll never know for sure...if it wasn't him...it was someone who was doing a darn good interpretation!
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby ob8 on Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:19 pm

Becky it must have been David, there is no one like him :wink:
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby suzannahsylvian on Fri May 01, 2009 2:40 am

ob8 wrote:Becky it must have been David, there is no one like him :wink:

Too right!
;)
suzannahsylvian
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby becky on Fri May 01, 2009 11:13 am

I wonder...hmmm...the bloke I saw looked like David did in Time Spent - fairly short hair and was sauntering in exactly the same laid back way with his hands in his pockets like he does when he's on the pier...not sure whether he's sporting long or short hair these days..does anyone else know?
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Simonp on Fri May 01, 2009 11:52 am

I've met David twice now. The first time was after the FITF gig at Bristol's Colston Hall. I went round the back of the venue and joined the surprising number of people who had gone round to meet him. After what seemed like ages, Steve and Takagi came out and shook hands with everyone. Then David came out holding the hand of a little boy (or girl, can't remember) but she looked oriental/asian. someone took the little girl off him as people were pushing and shoving to get near him. He signed my programme and I shook his hand. Honestly, I felt like a teenager (I am 37) who had just met his idol (which he is). I went back to the hotel an didnt sleep a wink all night.

Second time I met him was after the Manchester TWIE gig. Again after the show we waited for a while and eventually he came out and shook hands. i got quite close to him and he kind of stepped back because I think he thought i was going to kiss him..ha ha...if only!!!
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby becky on Fri May 01, 2009 12:08 pm

Ooo - you 'lucky lucky bastard'! (u've gotta read it in a Monty Pythonesque voice! But, drat it's not gonna pass the censor anyway is it?!..Anyway..I am SOOO jealous of you! I do think it's really funny - I know what you mean feeling a bit daft being an older fan etc ...I am 42 so I beat you hands down in the embarrassment stakes! :smt087
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby becky on Fri May 01, 2009 12:10 pm

Grrr...this blooming censor!!! Now poop stain was NOT what I wrote...and ruined the joke completely...sorry bout that Simonp!
This for the online censor :smt067
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby neonico on Sat May 02, 2009 5:27 am

Did you see a big age difference between the 2 times you met him Simonp i mean did he look a lot older. the last time you meet him . :-D
neonico

Postby Bern on Sat May 02, 2009 12:08 pm

OB8 I saw No Man at a little pub in Leeds in 1992 as well there was a tiny stage at the back of the room, so I actually nearly met you!
On the Sylvian note I met him on the "E+n" tour at Hammersmith, I had seen him the previous night in Nottingham and while I was standing outside Keith Lowe walked by wearing a kilt heading towards the tube station opposite, having seen him the previous night I recognised him and as luck would have it he came walking back a few minutes later so I stopped him and told him how much I had enjoyed the previous performance (he's a really friendly guy by the way) and I asked if Sylvian was there and he said he was and would I like to meet him, he took me through the side entrance and told me to wait in a narrow corridor while he checked if David was available I was waiting ages and I was beginning to think he'd forgotten about me and maybe I should just leave when a door opened and Sylvian walked out!, I remember thinking he was very small but he smiled warmly and asked me a lot of questions, where did I live, how many dates was I going to, had I enjoyed the performance etc, it was a surreal moment but one I will never forget, I remember most that on all my replies his eye contact never wavered as if he was genuinely interested in what I had to say, either that or he would make a good politician
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ob8 on Sat May 02, 2009 12:28 pm

lol well there was only about thirty people there, i took a load of photos so i will have to dig them out see if i can spot you ! We were saying on the night that it must have been weird for Steve, Rich and Mick playing in a dingy room to a handful of people when ten years before they were playing the Budokan.
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Sat May 02, 2009 1:37 pm

anortherncod wrote:Oh, it was nothing serious - I was up late talking to a fellow forum member (and PTFer) on MSN... and then I couldn't sleep after that. (But it was nothing you did Sisterlondon! :wink: )

Ooops, my fault :( :oops:

And on the topic, I've told it like a gazillion times in here, but met David in London and Madrid on the last tour (in 2007). The London meeting was more than brief, but in Madrid I was lucky to have a pic with him. I was a lot luckier with Steve both times. He was very gracious and stopped to chat even and sign quite a lot of tour books that I had bought for some people here (after promising him that I wasn't going to sell them on ebay ;))

Never met Mick and about Richard... well, that's a story I have told you waaaaay too many times! :lol: Even though I've seen him in quite a few PT gigs, just could talk to him in Amsterdam 2007 (June gig) and Tilburg after the DVD recording (the day I took the pic above us in the banner ;)) Oh, and a moment at the Sylvian gig in London, when we found each other in the stairs while I was talking to Tim, LOL! :lol:
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion