honest answer

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

honest answer

Postby neonico on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:41 pm

part of an interview 1998.

A pivotal moment in time, when both his professional and private life crossed, remains the weeks prior to the recording sessions of David’s vocal contribution to Ryuichi Sakamoto’s UK/US single ‘Heartbeat’, the time he first met his future wife, Ingrid.

"The circumstances under which Ingrid and I came together are quite interesting. Ingrid was travelling through Europe on a press trip promoting her new release. [David refers here to Ingrid’s debut album ‘May 19 1992’ released on the Paisley Park label of Prince.] When asked by a journalist in Paris who she'd like to work with in the future my name came up. The journalist, an acquaintance of mine, told Ingrid he'd contact my office so that a meeting could be set up while she was in London. By the time she arrived there I had been called away to Paris on short notice to work with Zazou. Ingrid visited Richard Chadwick at the office leaving a letter and CD for me. On my return I found a two letters awaiting my attention. It was late afternoon. I was tired, numb, reeling from intense emotional stress which had been accumulating over the past 3 years. I picked up the first of two letters. It was from a girl whom I'd never met telling me a story of how she'd recently been visited by two beings late one evening one of whom she'd recognized as her deceased grandfather. The other was a Japanese gentleman she'd never seen before, whom she proceeded to describe, going by the name of Akira. Akira had a message for me. Despite my scepticism the message was wonderfully reassuring. Whether the story was true or false wasn't an issue. Akira it turned out was Aki; Ryuichi's manager who'd recently died in a car crash in Mexico. He'd relayed a message for Ryu in the same letter. I put the pages down on the table before me a little shaken by their contents. I then picked up the next letter, Ingrid's letter. Again I was very moved by its contents...and sadden that I'd missed Ingrid's visit. I remember being overcome by the impact of receiving both these messages at what could be referred to, in hindsight, as a critical moment in time for me.... I remember crying.... tears that accompanied an intense longing, an almost unbearable yearning for something only barely tangible."

"I had already written 'Heartbeat' prior to leaving for Paris. I'd written a part for female voice, spoken word. I had no one in mind for the part. As I placed the CD Ingrid had left me into the machine bells sounded, lights flashed that even the virtually blind man I was had no difficulty seeing."

"I later met Ingrid In Minneapolis. We travelled to New Orleans together for a few days. By the time we got to NY to record with Ryuichi there was little doubt in our minds that we were to be together."
neonico

Postby becky on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:53 pm

What a shame it all went so horribly wrong! :cry:

Does anyone know if Sylvian has moved on and met someone else yet?

While obviously for him I hope he has -I hate to say it but as a listener, I do feel he writes his best work when he's going through a crisis! I loved the lyrics of Dead Bees on a Cake but I felt that musically it was a bit pedestrian compared to his other work. I suppose that old saying 'The finest Art transpires from suffering' doesn't exist for nothing!
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Silver Moon on Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Wow that's an amazing story.

Are there any more details about the girl, and what she wrote to him about Akira?

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby neonico on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:56 pm

havent found any but still looking
neonico

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:22 pm

wow this is incredible to read.. thank you for sharing. it is quite an insight
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:54 am

a friend of mine did ask if he was knocking off Joan Wasser :lol:
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Adrian on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:24 am

he was. Those groans by him on her second album were recorded 'live' you know... :-)
only joking...
And it's true that all good art needs some shadow...
I myself haven't been able to write for years now, 'for lack of no love'
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Moonshadow on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:39 pm

Amazing! So a ghost visit a girl who happens to be a Sylvian fan... Probably he (Akira) knew....

about Ingrid's story... how sad everything went wrong :(
Moonshadow
Obsessed
Obsessed

Return to General Discussion