Caroline

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Caroline

Postby camphorvan on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:52 pm

A while back there was some discussion about Caroline as featured in songs like Exit/Delete, Get the Hell Out (and one other?). Suddenly struck me as I was listening to those two tracks last night, that Caroline isn't a person at all. It's Dave's alter ego. It fits and he's done it before - The First Day features it a lot, RTC too.

Well - worth a think I guess.

C
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:52 pm

caroline is a nickname that refers to ingid chavez not his ego he explained this on an old radio interview i think you can find it on the davidsylvian.it site
when not i will look for it and post it here.

heartbeat was released in 1992, the first day 1993

like the name julia question in the JAM interview 1999

Is there a real Julia in "Remembering Julia"?

D.S.: Julia is a reference to Ingrid herself.
neonico

Postby Moonshadow on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:43 pm

Can I ask why he idn't use Ingrid's name?
Moonshadow
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby camphorvan on Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:31 am

Ah - well that scuppers my idea then! Thank you Neo - always did wonder about this Caroline character.

He did refer to Ingrid on Ingrid's Wheels - really liked that song, shame it was never recorded in a studio. Or was it?!
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Caroline/Julia

Postby becky on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:30 pm

Ingrid's song 'Remembering Julia' is a direct reference to Ingrid herself as Ingrid's second name is Julia. The lyrics of the song infer she either had rather a traumatic childhood abuse experience or perhaps it's a reference to the guy who got her pregnant with Tinondre, and then left her to deal with it as a single mother, as she was quite young when she had Tinondre. I feel Sylvian uses the name Caroline in some of his songs (that deal with marital break up) as a an inference to Ingrid but he changes the name so that people can read it more generally than as a biographical incident. Whatever he intended - I think Exit/Delete is a beautiful song and Get the Hell Out is quite funky too!
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:50 am

wow thanks for clearing that up. It is so interesting to discover the biography behind the music. I find people's lives so interesting... how they deal with how life approaches them. Lovely to think about really.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Moonshadow on Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:07 am

For me it's intresting to discover how ppl tend to make art on their own sadness and make other ppl feel that this sadness it's their own, like David who writes things that make me feel identifed, it's like he wrote about my life, but in the end it's his own...
Moonshadow
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby camphorvan on Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:48 am

Yeah Becky I love both those tracks. And Moonshadow; I know what you mean and agree, but for me more a general identification than specific. I think the emotional core of the music brings me back to Sylvian's songs time after time after time; I do personally connect with it more than anything else I have ever listened to. And that includes the Spice Girls (I am kidddddding!)

C
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Moonshadow on Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:47 pm

LOL, so tell me what you want what you really really want...
:-D
Moonshadow
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: Caroline

Postby kitaj on Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:51 am

The ‘Caroline’ mystery cracked:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/ ... tis-berlin

Of course Lou Reed’s Berlin is one of the Batt’s Bros favourites, and Berlin is Lou Reed’s Blemish (or the other way round). Hence the introduction of the Caroline character in the songs in its wake.
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: Caroline

Postby Quiet Visitor on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:24 am

kitaj wrote:The ‘Caroline’ mystery cracked:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/ ... tis-berlin

Of course Lou Reed’s Berlin is one of the Batt’s Bros favourites, and Berlin is Lou Reed’s Blemish (or the other way round). Hence the introduction of the Caroline character in the songs in its wake.

Nice to see you arround, Kitaj, and thanks for this article.
I've got Berlin on LP and think its a intrigueing album, but I never bought it on CD, because I'm still waiting for the original tapes to be released, which - as the article also tells - has more solo's etc. I believe there's one tiny bit of that extra stuff used on one of the re-releases of Berlin.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to General Discussion