just if...

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

just if...

Postby pradakid900 on Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:55 pm

Hi guys, the couture crawdaddy is peeking out from under the pavement. Sorry I dashed away so quickly without finishing my story from days of yore, but there has been many a family crisis. Been away for the past few months, but now I am back.
I was just recently thinking, amusing myself - in light of keeping things light, of a tell-all book from Ingrid, and I got such a kick out of it I thought I'd drop it on you all and pose the question. So just picture, in the totally hypothetical, crazy realm of the Sylvian of our imagination, if Ingrid were to write and release a book about her time with David (possibly prefaced with her relationships with other slightly eccentric and individual musicians), would you want to read it or not? Would it ruin part of the majic of David's music for you or would you really want to know the down and dirty? Tough question, huh?
Does anyone really want to see their appreciated and respected artists brought down to the common level? What do you think? How about possible titles? Years With The Genius: Living with David Sylvian or Inside The Beehive: How I got here on the coat tails of others?
pradakid900
Regular
Regular

Postby Fire Rose 45 on Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:02 pm

No, I wouldn't want to read it. David and Ingrid are entitled to their privacy, and it's been my experience that most things are better left to the imagination.
"The question that sometimes makes me hazy... am I or the others crazy?" -- Albert Einstein

"This band is perfect - just don't scratch the surface." -- Duran Duran
Fire Rose 45
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby natsume on Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:15 pm

I wouldn't want to read it either. I am really not that curious. There is something about the level of honesty he gets across in interviews, but more in his music, that I think presents a pretty raw and unfiltered look at what he is about. And I also don't think there are too many ugly secrets lurking anyway, as I think he is pretty honest about those as well.

A personal memoir, on the other hand, I would read in a second.
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:42 am

I think if you read his lyrics which are very open and personal . i dont think theres anything else that could have been said or told.
:-D
neonico

Postby E.T. on Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:22 pm

I'm not so much interested in Ingrid, or, for their children...
She has good voice though...

I think David mentioned it too much in his music. :wink:

I'd rather be interested in YUKA. :-D
whatever gets you through the night
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby becky on Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:21 pm

Yes, I think that Ingrid would be highly unlikely to write a 'spill the beans' book about the demise of their relationship, when it seems to have been her actions that caused the marriage to falter. Can't imagine she would be too eager to write a book that would necessitate her dishing the dirt on herself!

Anyway, if you read the poetry she has posted on her website: 'In a dream of a dream' / 'Wind be still' / 'Delete' etc... it's all there anyway. One gets the strong impression from her poems that the only thing poor David did wrong was to maybe spend too many hours holed away in his home studio trying to fathom out how to program his new studio equipment. Seems she started feeling a bit neglected and so went off and had a dalliance to spice her life up a bit... Sylvian found out, and she realised she'd wrecked everything and ended up regretting it, but by that time it was too late..the damage had been done.

Not much need for a tell all book really seeing as Sylvian doesn't hide behind his lyrics either- you can't escape the fact that nearly all his work since their split has picked over the bones of their shattered marriage, and has articulated with great precision the pain he's been through and the emotional devastation the whole experience has caused. On Blemish particularly, he often paints very graphic pictures with minimal words: ('The quirk, the fuss, the vaseline' etc). So, if you are a bit of a gossip mag fan and you yearn for a bit of dirt, it's already there in the music, a book would be superfluous!

I think Sylvian has been amazingly honest about what he's been through. And getting off subject a tad I'd just like to say I think Blemish was an amazing work of art. People who dismiss it because it's a 'difficult' listen are, I feel missing the point and the whole clever beauty of that album. It's difficult to listen to for a reason: It sought to capture and express the pain, confusion and inner turmoil of a losing your long term partner not just lyrically but aurally too...and for that reason alone, it couldn't be 'pretty' music it had to be almost painful to sit through...Going through a break up isn't 'pretty'. The pulsating single chord that it opens with jangles your nerve endings to such a degree that it creates the same physically sick feeling internally that you get when you are in a state of internal distress and turmoil. The jagged, metallic, discordant, out of kilter soundsacpe Sylvian created perfectly back up the painful honesty of his lyrics.

Sylvian doesn't try to hide his 'human-ness' and that's what makes him such a wonderful artist. He may draw heavily on his personal experiences but his skill as an artist lies in his ability to reveal the inner essence of an experience and transform it musically into a universally relevant piece of art to for others to gain something positive from. If he wasn't so talented then his work might stay stuck in a quagmire of mere self indulgence. I think he is one heck of courageous, honest and challenging artist and
Ingrid must have been deluded if she thought she could have done better.

I genuinely hope he meets someone (if he hasn't already) who can melt his heart and fill him with joy again.

Sorry guys, that was a bit of a long post!! Time to go get my dinner!
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby natsume on Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:07 pm

Very well said, Becky. I agree with you 100%.
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:29 pm

and that was well said. :shock:
neonico

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:33 am

becky wrote:
Sylvian doesn't try to hide his 'human-ness' and that's what makes him such a wonderful artist. He may draw heavily on his personal experiences but his skill as an artist lies in his ability to reveal the inner essence of an experience and transform it musically into a universally relevant piece of art to for others to gain something positive from. If he wasn't so talented then his work might stay stuck in a quagmire of mere self indulgence. I think he is one heck of courageous, honest and challenging artist and
Ingrid must have been deluded if she thought she could have done better.

That was the best paragraph about David Sylvian I've read in a long time.
I totally agree with you. I wouldn't read that book, cause Sylvian puts himself into his music, like nobody else I've seen in my life. And that's probably the reason why his music reachs people so deeply - cause it's real.
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Bern on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:29 am

Excellent post Becky
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:00 pm

hhmm well I like Ingrid and I wouldn't mind hearing about her life. I don't need to know all the intimate details of her time with david, but I like autobiographies and am always curious to read them.
No I don't think anything would be lost for me about David, since there are always two sides to any story and it isn't coming from him.
I recently read Andy Taylor's biography and it didn't make me think badly of any of the member's of DD. It was respectfully done. I guess it did sort of bring a level of reality to it all and has enabled me to release some stuff from the past.
I find that reading an autobiography isn't just about the people but also about a certain time and culture... It is just very appealing to me. I like to see how other's perceived things of a certain era.
So guess I'm the only one here who enjoys that?
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby natsume on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:17 pm

I love biography as well, for the reasons godisinthesilences mentioned. (Man, you need a shorter username!)

I don't think Ingrid, if she were to write a memoir, would write the kind of tabloidesque material the OP is implying she might, and I think we were responding to the possibility of that kind of memoir.

If she were to write a thoughtful, literate, reflective, fair, and dignified memoir of her time with Sylvian, I absolutely would want to read it.
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:29 am

so true Becky. great post.
and E.T... I agree... I'm also more interested in YUKA
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvie on Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:15 am

in all fairness, isn't chavez entitled to tell all? not saying that she should, but sylvian released blemish and we all heard his side of the story.
Sylvie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:42 am

Well, from the point of view that gods mentioned, I love to read biographies too. I think I reacted that way to pradakid's post cause I thought it was talking about a tabloid-esque and morbid kind of book, and I don't like that.

I've never been really interested in Ingrid's work, not that I have something against her, it's just I don't find it appealing. But, if it's a mature and reflective memoir, yeah, probably would be interesting to read.
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to General Discussion