micheal lam report

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

micheal lam report

Postby neonico on Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:39 pm

ok here is the first part of his report my chinese is not perfect so help me
JoyceHK
joycehk when its wrong correct it i needed 3 ours to translate this.

october 18 got up late after a number of sleepless nights ,because of the fact
that sylvian was, 10 days sick and cancelled 3 of his concerts in eastern europe. im worried every day. that it will be 5 or 25 dates. do i need this stress.

october 22 in the morning sylvians manager e mailed me that sylvian is prepared to continue his tour in hong kong a stone fell from my heart.
but i still have my missconceptions.
only half of the crew where on the 26th of october plane.

in fact on the 26 october i had to travel 2 times to the airport. because of the potential costs and saftey reasons we arranged 4 flights 7 people arrived to give us a warm up.

the first impression of david sylvian and steve janson is reserved and collective the silent English gentlemen sylvian no longer the women like handsome man. but a mature man with charm.

3 older fans are waiting to see david and steve.

suddenly david has a panic attack is frightened and extremly startled .
the fans are clever and give david his confidence back and tell david that there are loads of fans waiting for him at the hotel. david then runs hurriedly over the car park and suddenly looks happy that he knows that there are many fans at the hotel and he can avoid them.

the live performance from sylvian was welcomed by the hongkong audience but after that the next two gigs were not completed till the end.

his manger said he was totally satisfied with the results from the concert and that hongkong holded something special for him.

ok guys im now tired

the next half of this conversation is coming with davids love for sipping tomate soup and steves phobia for elevators

now im tired.

ive translated loads of interviews.

:-D i hate translating takes ages and then its not right
Last edited by neonico on Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
neonico

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:13 pm

thanks neonico... that was fun to read.

Hmmm steve and i share something in common. I can not stand using elevators.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: micheal lam report

Postby inkinthewell on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:25 am

neonico wrote:david then runs hurriedly over the car park and suddenly looks happy that he knows that there are many fans at the hotel and he can avoid them.

:-D

Thank you very much, Neo.
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby E.T. on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:30 am

Thank you neonico.
it's very interesting :D
I can understand you how hard translating... haha
I can't understand Chinese.
and translating English to Japanese is easier for me...

xxx
whatever gets you through the night
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby JoyceHK on Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:37 pm

Impressive! Neonice, you can read Chinese? Cool!

You are doing a very good job here I must say and have presented most of the content. Apologize for just posting the Chinese report without an even rough translation as I am always conscious about my poor English writing.

I don’t have any big correction want to made, just some notes that’s all.

october 18 got up late after a number of sleepless nights ,because of the fact
that sylvian was, 10 days sick and cancelled 3 of his concerts in eastern europe. im worried every day. that it will be 5 or 25 dates. do i need this stress.

Because of the cancellation of 3 gigs in Europe, Michael’s so worried that the HK gig would be the next one. He sighed his hard work of getting the gig happened would all probably be gone to nothing and afraid that he & fans in HK might have to wait for another 5 or 25 years.

october 22 in the morning sylvians manager e mailed me that sylvian is prepared to continue his tour in hong kong a stone fell from my heart.
but i still have my missconceptions.
only half of the crew where on the 26th of october plane.

He had flu at that time so he couldn’t meet the guys at the best of his shape.

in fact on the 26 october i had to travel 2 times to the airport. because of the potential costs and saftey reasons we arranged 4 flights 7 people arrived to give us a warm up.

I can understand for security reason, they had to take more than 1 flight, but 4? Anyway, I remember another blogger said David’s mood was a bit ruined as they lost some equipments…

the first impression of david sylvian and steve janson is reserved and collective the silent English gentlemen sylvian no longer the women like handsome man. but a mature man with charm.

”Reserved, humorous English gentlemen” Michael should be a fan of them for many years and may have contacts with them in person before, so he made such comments.

3 older fans are waiting to see david and steve.

He actually described the fans as “mature” in terms of age. In HK, we usually not use that description for ladies, regardless their age.
P.S. I have contacts with one of the 3 fans and she’s still young to me.

suddenly david has a panic attack is frightened and extremly startled .
the fans are clever and give david his confidence back and tell david that there are loads of fans waiting for him at the hotel. david then runs hurriedly over the car park and suddenly looks happy that he knows that there are many fans at the hotel and he can avoid them.

What Michael meant is, David was more likely surprised with joy for seeing the fans rather than feeling panic, you can see from the photos taking in the airport (neonice, you have posted those photos as well!), he and Steve were so relaxed and graceful.

According to the lucky lady’s blog, she was the only one who was there at the hotel and when she just arrived, she saw a few foreigners standing there (the guys were about to leave for Mongkok to shop, you know, the photos of David and Steve in front of a top shop and crews in the restaurant) and she recognised he’s David by his signature white shoes! She approached and said David’s name politely and David said to a crew with smile: Picture time! And then to her: "How do you know I am here?"

Arrr, that is so sweet, I wonder how she could still remain conscious and knew the way back home.

the live performance from sylvian was welcomed by the hongkong audience but after that the next two gigs were not completed till the end.

His voice was so perfect that night if I wasn’t sitting at the forth row, seeing him kept wiping his nose and turning his head away to clear throat (or cough?), I was totally convinced he’s fully recovered. I was so broken hearted and actually wouldn’t have any complaints if he stopped in the middle of it. It’s a mixed feelings that he so insisted in the HK gig but got sick again in Japan.

his manger said he was totally satisfied with the results from the concert and that hongkong holded something special for him.

Yes, let David experience again the excitement he had in those Japan band years.

the next half of this conversation is coming with davids love for sipping tomate soup and steves phobia for elevators

It’s something very interesting to read.

Thanks again neonice for your translation! :D
JoyceHK
Noob
Noob

Postby billster on Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:59 am

I remember reading in the foreward of the japanese perspectives that David said he didn't like Hong Kong on his first visit...

Anyway, this is all very interesting.

A few years ago an Italian promoter was selling many photos of Sylvian and Ingrid on their first day tour..in restruants etc
Anyone ever see these?
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby natsume on Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:07 am

neonico wrote:o

If that means the Osaka and Tokyo shows, he gave a wonderful and full performance in Osaka, with no signs I could see that he might be feeling ill. It was the final show of the tour, in Tokyo, that unfortunately was cut short.
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:05 pm

thanks joyceHK for clearing up the translations... they make more sense to me now.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby E.T. on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:02 pm

natsume wrote:
neonico wrote:o

If that means the Osaka and Tokyo shows, he gave a wonderful and full performance in Osaka, with no signs I could see that he might be feeling ill. It was the final show of the tour, in Tokyo, that unfortunately was cut short.

yes, Osaka set

01 Wonderful World
02 It'll Never Happen Again
03 World Citizen/I Won't Be Disappointed
04 The Day the Earth Stole Heaven
05 Ride
06 Playground Martyrs
07 Transit
08 A Fire in the Forest
09 Ghosts
10 Snow Borne Sorrow
11 Mother & Child
12 Jean The Birdman
13 Sugar Fuel
14 Brilliant Trees
15 Before the Bullfight
16 The Librarian
encole
17 Every Colour You Are
18 River Man
19 Wanderlust

Tokyo set:

01.WONDERFUL WORLD
02.IT'LL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN
03.WORLD CITIZEN/I WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED
04.THE DAY THE EARTH STOLE HEAVEN
05.RIDE
06.PLAYGROUND MARTYRS /Transit
07.A FIRE IN THE FOREST/GHOSTS
08.SNOW BORNE SORROW
MC : David said excuse, He had suffering for a cold, he gonna cut off the set
09.JEAN THE BIRDMAN
10.SUGAR FUEL
11.THE LIBRARIAN
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby E.T. on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:19 pm

JoyceHK wrote:

I can understand for security reason, they had to take more than 1 flight, but 4? Anyway, I remember another blogger said David’s mood was a bit ruined as they lost some equipments…

from Sound & Recording Magazine 2007 December,
it carries diary of Takuma Watanabe (piano).

27th Oct. Hong Kong (China)
From Portugal, Spain, we arrived at Hong Kong via Heathrow. oh no, KORG R3 for pad synthesizer was lost. Patric, our tour manager found a same one, so we could carry on....
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby billster on Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:15 pm

have you got the rest of his diary?
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby neonico on Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:11 pm

that his manger said that his voice was perfect that night i knew but didnt think it was important to write this transllation.

ok the last bit to this artilel and again i have to say it was difficult to translate the bit with the toy shop i left it out because it was really hard to translate

i think but not sure that micheal rung the guys up to go to dinner and then they went to this toy shop (or the other way aroud ) picture in the picture gallery then they took the toys they bought to the hotel. this part to translate i have to admit was to difficult for me. also the bit where micheal says david looks scared then looks happy quiet confusing.

ok the next part help me joycehk

david doesnt speak alot he has a quiet tempermant a bit aloof .

i thought we could share the personal delicate subject about the divorce with his wife and chidren. steve janson said that his brother is painfuly shy and is

i quote either over sensitive or sensitive to heat. not sure .

about this part.

steve janson also said david is not the typical eccentric artist.

this was the main conversation backstage.

also steve said that david cant relate to the japan era the songs dont have any hold on him any longer.

steve has a phobia for elervators david likes bowling and sipping tomato soup. and micheal will upload more photos from that experience.

thats it .

ok 2 foreigners me that can speak indian, mexican, german mother language eygtian and mexicanen and a ittle chinese, littel russian and english and my freind joycehk chinese and a littel english please forgive us when we got it wrong but we tried.
Last edited by neonico on Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
neonico

Postby neonico on Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:27 pm

Last edited by neonico on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neonico

Postby JoyceHK on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:14 pm

billster wrote:I remember reading in the foreward of the japanese perspectives that David said he didn't like Hong Kong on his first visit...

Oh! So that takes him 25 years to do another performance here?

natsume wrote:If that means the Osaka and Tokyo shows, he gave a wonderful and full performance in Osaka, with no signs I could see that he might be feeling ill. It was the final show of the tour, in Tokyo, that unfortunately was cut short.

We were too concentrated on the translation itself but missed the very important thing: Verify the content first. :-D Afterall, the original text is Michael Lam's, the translation is ours. :P

godisinthesilences wrote:thanks joyceHK for clearing up the translations... they make more sense to me now.

Glad you found it helped. :D

neonico wrote:that hurt after 3 days translating :cry:

Cheer up! :D

Joyce
JoyceHK
Noob
Noob

Postby E.T. on Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:18 pm

billster wrote:have you got the rest of his diary?

yes I have.
he wrote diary about 11 days.
I'd like to lay them on here someday, but it takes time. sorry

>neonico
david doesnt speak alot he has a quiet tempermant a bit aloof .

I guess he didn't speak a lot to keep his voice :)
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to General Discussion