Ideas for Sylvian live shows

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Ideas for Sylvian live shows

Postby Blemished on Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:11 pm

Hi all

I was musing on the times I've managed to see DS play live - for me, two were great (with Fripp, Albert Hall 1993 & Blemish tour, RFH 2003) while two were disappointing (E&N 2005, World is everything 2007).

Just my opinion of course, and I've always been struck by how peoples responses vary - I loved Blemish, but some people I talked to afterwards hated it and just wanted to hear the Beehive stuff.

It got me thinking of how great it would be if Mr S played some themed live shows to highlight the different threads of his work. Perhaps the variations/re-arrangements might make it more stimulating for him.

I thought of three variations:

1. Orchestral Sylvian - with a string orchestra focusing on the SOTB material plus things like Forbidden colours, Shining of things etc. Perhaps a Sylvian / Sakamoto double-bill would be even better.

2. Ambient Sylvian - reuniting with Robert Fripp and maybe Jon Hassell to centre on the GTE and First Day material

3. Electronic Sylvian - with Fennesz, playing the more electronic material - Blemish, perhaps the new one, Ghosts, Darkest dreaming etc

Would it be commercially viable? Well maybe if it was restricted to a a three/six evenings residence at the Royal Festival Hall or somewere similar. And if he REALLY wanted to be commercial, perhaps they could sell CD/DVDs of the shows for release immediately after. This would limit the urge to edit and perfect and probably make a fair bit of money for him.

Any views on this? Other ideas?

Cheers

Blemished
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby becky on Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:23 am

I think this is a GREAT idea! I love all three theme suggestions you made, but especially the Sylvian/Sakamoto one...that would be a wonderful gig. :D
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Simonp on Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:23 pm

I think this a cool thread too. I'd like Sylvian to perform some intimate shows and perhaps be accompanied by film makers such as Tagaki. Im thinking somewhere like Union Chapel, somewhere relatively intimate. Id also like Sylvian to explore his instrumental work in a live context because its something he hasnt really done.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:44 pm

personally i'd like it if he would just play in the usa again.... something intimate would be nice... perhaps my living room??
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:16 am

Death Metal Sylvian? No?

Ok - Rockier numbers Sylvian - would definitely be up for that; with Fripp.

C
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:50 am

I guess I'd just prefer him to do something similar to the 88 tour.
just adding some newer songs.
that tour was just perfect.
in every way.
with sakamoto on piano of course.
and why not Mick on bass...
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:19 pm

Another solo tour taking in music from Dead Bees to the present? How about an acoustic version of Darshan...lol
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby MoodyB on Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:43 am

The Shamans tour was superb, but I'd love to see something along the lines of the Slow Fire tour again...
...Seeing David "unplugged" at The Town Hall was amazing!
"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis (1998)

http://www.chriscrader.com/
http://stores.lulu.com/Eurotech
MoodyB
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:04 am

MoodyB wrote:The Shamans tour was superb, but I'd love to see something along the lines of the Slow Fire tour again...
...Seeing David "unplugged" at The Town Hall was amazing!

mmmm i wish i'd been able to see any of his earlier shows.

I guess for me i'd like to see him perform with some passion to the event at hand. So I don't care what he does as long as he is present and open in the moment, unlike what he seemed on his last tour. You can just tell from the photographs taken at the different shows that he didn't feel well, seemed bored, and seemed to be just going through the motions.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:54 pm

I agree with Gods, it doesn't matter to me what material Sylvian chooses to perform as long as he was enjoying the show himself. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get tickets for last years tour, but I understand from other members of this forum that some of the shows were slightly marred by Mr S's somewhat depressed demeanour. Of course he wasn't in the best of health at the time, but then again his dislike of performing live is legendary isn't it?
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:22 pm

Astronaut wrote:I agree with Gods, it doesn't matter to me what material Sylvian chooses to perform as long as he was enjoying the show himself. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get tickets for last years tour, but I understand from other members of this forum that some of the shows were slightly marred by Mr S's somewhat depressed demeanour. Of course he wasn't in the best of health at the time, but then again his dislike of performing live is legendary isn't it?

yup exactly!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Drake on Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:26 am

I really missed one thing with the tour last year - a guitarist. That would have added what was needed in those shows.
Drake
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:52 am

Drake wrote:I really missed one thing with the tour last year - a guitarist. That would have added what was needed in those shows.
yeah i have to agree with that as well.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:40 pm

camphorvan wrote:Ok - Rockier numbers Sylvian - would definitely be up for that; with Fripp.

C

Agreed. That would indeed be truly excellent! ;-)
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to General Discussion