PG and DS

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

PG and DS

Postby camphorvan on Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:27 pm

Something I have been wondering about;

Since DS has done a lot of work at Real World (Peter Gabriel's studio), I wondered whether the two had met. Is there any account of this anywhere? I was slightly amused by the prospect as they are both very shy; the meeting of great pop musicians would probably be normally a very loud, clashy affair I suspect, though I can imagine the two greeting each other with a polite "ummm...how do you do?"; almost the stereo-type of the English if you will.

C
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:55 pm

I've never heard about them meeting, would like to know too. All I can recall reading David say about Peter Gabriel is that he liked "Passion" - an album I love, second favorite after PG II.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:02 pm

Yeah I like passion and have a deep fondness for both PG 1+2. Everyone goes on about PG3 being his best of the 4, (and it IS brilliant - fair play and gave Phil Collins his drum sound, something he took credit for later on, which is not on as it was PG's and I think Steve Lillywhite's use of 'the gate' that can be accredited to that sound).

I also really like some of PG4, and of course So, Us and Up (which is surprisingly good I think). Less keen on Birdy, haven't heard Ovo or Rabbit Proof Fence. His Passion album though - got to get me that again (had it somewhere on cassette).

I think PG1, 2 and probably 3 are of their time though. Especially Moribund the Burgermesiter(!).

C
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Stoobie on Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:39 pm

DS & PG collaboration would be great !

Stoobie x
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:56 pm

camphorvan wrote:I think PG1, 2 and probably 3 are of their time though. Especially Moribund the Burgermesiter(!).

I've often read comments that PG1 is overproduced, but I like the sound on it. I'd agree that the first three albums are of their time, but the songs still hold up well, I think. Even Moribund..."I will find out...", and Excuse Me, which I used to think was a dumb track but now I like it.

I listen to Security the least, but it has some of my favorite songs on it - I Have The Touch, San Jacinto and Shock the Monkey. I dislike (hate) Kiss of Life, clunks the mood of the album for me.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:06 pm

Can't beat a little bit of Solisbury Hill though. What a fantastic song.
My favourite all time PG album, has to be So though - obvious I know, (oh that all rhymed didn't it?!).
Not so much the songs, but the brilliant production and off kilter drums etc by Manu Katche - brilliant drummer. I think Stewart Copeland (of the Police) played hi hat on a couple of tracks too. I think Us was weaker overall, but with some great tracks like Blood of Eden and Washing of the Water. I really think Up is under-rated as well. There is some great stuff on that album. I also like the fact that Petey used to dress up as a Slipperman and wear a fox mask while wearing a dress. Wonder whether Sylvian would ever consider doing that?! No, I didn't think so either(!)
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:27 pm

camphorvan wrote:I also like the fact that Petey used to dress up as a Slipperman and wear a fox mask while wearing a dress. Wonder whether Sylvian would ever consider doing that?! No, I didn't think so either(!)

The fox mask would be interesting, sans the dress. But I think David would could pull off the Rael look from The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:44 am

How brilliant is that album?! It's like a surrealist film, but...in album form. Not sure how Davey would get on with Counting Out Time though heh heh!
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:53 pm

I'm pretty sure I remember reading an interview (1987ish) with Peter Gabriel in the now sadly defunct magazine 'Music Technology' where he listed Sylvian as someone he admired - particularly in having a tortoise-like speed when it comes to getting music finished!

In my case, exploring Gabriel's music (albums 3 and 4 are genius) led directly onto discovering Japan & Sylvian in 87 (six years late!).

They also are/were both great users of the Prophet 5 keyboard - inevitably so, given the timing of some of the records, but I think they show a similar approach to developing sound textures.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby camphorvan on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:52 pm

Ah..Music Technology - I remember it well. I used to be an avid reader of Sound On Sound too till a couple of years ago.

I think I remember PG referring to it as 'The Tortoise Movement'. He's actually given a name to working slowly, which is great. On So, Daniel Lanois had to get him to come out from a cupboard because he didn't want to do any vocals I remember reading. Heh Heh.

As for the Prophet V, I use a Pro52 (a software version of the synthesiser for non tech heads!) and it's one fo the modules I always come back to. Obviously, soft synths can't compare to the original, but it's as near as damn it for my purposes.

Ah...wonder what PG's new album will be like (if he ever gets it done). I was going to buy the big blue ball (you can hear it on PG's website), but it sounds really dated to my ears from what I've heard. Still, if you will take 15 years to make an album...

C
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:19 am

There is another link between PG and DS - David Rhodes the guitarist - If I not hallucinating I'm sure he played guitar for Japan at some point (and is on the live version of Art of Parties). He was a Gabriel regular as well - particularly on the third album (Melt) if I recall.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Stoobie on Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:26 pm

I Think David Rhodes played on the April 82 Tour for Japan and still up till last year played live with PG.

he has a lot less hair these days though ! but i suppose we all do !

Stoobie :lol:
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to General Discussion