Sylvian's Fripperies - old VOX magazine article

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Re: Sylvian's marriage

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:37 pm

Simonp wrote:Seeing as this thread has moved onto Sylvian/Ingrid's marriage I think I'll add my bit.

- WE have no idea what went on in their marriage towards the end. Okay Sylvian released an album which entirely points the blame at Ingrid for the nasty break up but what about her side of the story? Isn't it true that there are two sides to EVERY story?

- I can't imagine Sylvian being an easy man to live with. A perfectionist prone to extreme mood swings I'll bet ingrid found it tough going at times being Mrs sylvian.

- It's well known that Sylvian had massive debts before he met Ingrid. He said so himself in interview that he owed Virgin Records a huge amount of money so any money he has now he probably received from the divorce (remember Chavez was paid $1m in royalities from the Madonna track, Justify My Love)

- I've heard from a very good source some other things about Sylvian and the way he treated Ingrid but I really don't think its my place or appropriate to post such things here.

Simon

It is funny you mentioned all of this because i just PM'd someone last night the same points... well except for your last one. Thanks for putting in your two cents :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Sylvian's marriage

Postby Simonp on Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:44 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:
Simonp wrote:Seeing as this thread has moved onto Sylvian/Ingrid's marriage I think I'll add my bit.

- WE have no idea what went on in their marriage towards the end. Okay Sylvian released an album which entirely points the blame at Ingrid for the nasty break up but what about her side of the story? Isn't it true that there are two sides to EVERY story?

- I can't imagine Sylvian being an easy man to live with. A perfectionist prone to extreme mood swings I'll bet ingrid found it tough going at times being Mrs sylvian.

- It's well known that Sylvian had massive debts before he met Ingrid. He said so himself in interview that he owed Virgin Records a huge amount of money so any money he has now he probably received from the divorce (remember Chavez was paid $1m in royalities from the Madonna track, Justify My Love)

- I've heard from a very good source some other things about Sylvian and the way he treated Ingrid but I really don't think its my place or appropriate to post such things here.

Simon

It is funny you mentioned all of this because i just PM'd someone last night the same points... well except for your last one. Thanks for putting in your two cents :-)

No probs!! i think too many fans think Sylvian is some sort of introverted quiet gentle bloke but i think in reality he is possibly the total opposite. i think for one he is certainly a control freak in his working life and i'm pretty sure that'll often manifest in his personal life too.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:06 pm

I think perhaps he is out of balance since the divorce. Psychologically he probably feels that his work is the only thing he can control so he dumps all that energy into that. Good place i think :-)
From personal experience I know that type of creative energy it is hard to turn it off for ones personal life. Not pleasant for those around....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

quiet

Postby neonico on Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:38 pm

you can still be quiet introverted to people you dont know thats called shy

and also when you get married and have children the debts and money belong to both partners not just one,

mrs simonp wee old women from scotland when you are married do you say my partner has debts sit on them, while i enjoy myself.

yes we know ingrid had money still david tried making his own he could of sat on his !!!!! and did nothing.
Last edited by neonico on Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
neonico

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:12 pm

i have to disagree about the longer one is married and the older one gets the arguements aren't as volatile. I can state for a fact that is NOT always the case...

Nothing is ever a hard and fast rule. It is all very dependent upon each person involved.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:42 pm

that can be true my freind perhaps im one of the lucky ones
neonico

Postby camphorvan on Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:46 pm

God...argumentative? You?!!! Noo...I don't believe it....

*snigger*
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: quiet

Postby Simonp on Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:31 am

neonico wrote:you can still be quiet introverted to people you dont know thats called shy

but at home your not like this, im moody when i dont get my own way i can be a lot of stress and im stubbern life made me like that.

but im still sensitive.

and also when you get married and have children the debts and money belong to both partners not just one,

mrs simonp wee old women from scotland when you are married do you say my partner has debts sit on them, while i enjoy myself.

yes we know ingrid had money still david tried making his own he could of sat on his !!!!! and did nothing.

and yes in every relationship gives slamming doors or sometimes when the person is not allowed to escape one on the nose. thats marrige

the older you get the wiser you are and such aggressive arguments dont come around anymore you just avoid them.

ps nice impression from hannible lector look a like foto. :lol:

MRS simonp?
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:09 am

camphorvan wrote:God...argumentative? You?!!! Noo...I don't believe it....

*snigger*

ha ha... i'm not married... i was speaking of what i've witnessed in my own life.

But if there are any offers out there I'm open :-)

P.S. I hate arguing... I try to avoid it if I can. But sometimes my passion gets the better of me... :-D
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby E.T. on Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:32 pm

hm.
Thank you for sharing it, it's very interesting. :-)
I heard David depended on cocaine after RTC, to escape human relations, but I saw that comment on disc review of tower records or HMV or something like that, so it can be wrong. anyway poor David :smt089
I know that breach was against Steve's will...
their relationship is great now, so I'm happy
whatever gets you through the night
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:51 pm

LOL I think this topic is getting really carried away now....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby E.T. on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:02 pm

sorry :oops:
please continue it
whatever gets you through the night
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby tallulahtaurus on Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:34 pm

Very interesting article thakn you muchly for putting it up.

Somehow I can't help feeling this has cemented my image of Sylvian's personality in my mind. To me he kind of comes across as intrinsically self absorbed (but fairly self aware and sensitive about it) and someone for whom relationships rely on other people's benevolence and generosity a lot.

I mean these are just impressions of course and liable to be wrong.

I will admit though that whilst I did predict that he would prob walk out of that photoshoot because Fripp wasn't taking it seriously I really didn't expect for him to go as far as to destroy the film rolls....

Although then again that makes sense to me somehow too, I mean if he was incensed enough to walk out then why wouldn't he want the pictures destroyed.

One thing that interests me is how did the damage from destroying film amount to that much? I really cannot understand on any level why that should cost 10 thousand?
"This island of blue
Where life clings to your hands
Like water and sand
Will loose it's way when you're gone"
tallulahtaurus
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Silver Moon on Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:55 pm

That story doesn't really paint the best picture of him!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby tallulahtaurus on Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:05 pm

Silver Moon wrote:That story doesn't really paint the best picture of him!

-K-

LOL I guess he just felt the pictures presented a even less desirable picture of him.

It really doesn't make him seem like the nicest, easiest person in the world but to me it has a perverse integrity to it and within it. By that I mean I would have far less respect for him if he didn't destroy the photos because it demonstrated that he left due to concern over the quality of the photos being taken.

Then again I am an odd one to be honest
"This island of blue
Where life clings to your hands
Like water and sand
Will loose it's way when you're gone"
tallulahtaurus
Obsessed
Obsessed

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion