Robert Fripp and Theo Travis Talk Sylvian

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Postby Bern on Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:26 pm

She had a similar look in Quadrophenia, and I remember reading recently in one of my wife's magazines (completely by accident of course!) that she has had a face lift-irritating Toyah fact #1
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:21 pm

Bern wrote:I remember reading recently in one of my wife's magazines (completely by accident of course!) that she has had a face lift-irritating Toyah fact #1

She wrote a book about it, called "Diary of a Facelift"; saw that at a used book store but didn't buy it.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:50 pm

kitaj wrote:
baht habit wrote:...it's a great track but a little monotonous in presentation --- it's like a steady flat line throughout and all the interesting avant-jazz horn licks still couldn't help to give the piece some much needed dynamics. a little bit more in the drum and guitar department would have done wonders to break up the repetitive backing loop.

that's kind of the whole of Snow Borne Sorrow for me. I don't think David's always right in pursuing what he feels worth pursuing. Rain Tree Crow is a masterpiece; SBS, I feel he had better relinquished control and left the final mixes to Burnt (Jaki's drumming included).

I'm getting a bit off-topic here, but there was a wonderful negative review of Everything and Nothing by Ian Penman years ago, which neatly encapsulated David's over-controlling traits for me.

remaining on the off-topic course and speaking of Jaki (Liebezeit), there was a curious information on Burnt's part in a Wire 'Invisible Jukebox' interview with him, where he concluded that David was unhappy with the original drum tracks for SBS simply because he couldn't feel certain time signatures ('The Librarian' especially, being in 5/4) so they ended up sounding 'wrong' to him (and Steve), which led to them being replaced by Steve's own drum parts. for me it was an endearing insight into human imperfection (and a possible thumbs-up for formal musical education as well).
I remember Burnt expressing a mild regret for this, but otherwise having understanding for their differing musicianly backgrounds and mindsets.

I completely disagree with your thoughts on SBS...since we now have had the oppurtunity to hear some of Burnt Friedman's mixes of SBS tracks...they are not in league with Sylvian's vision at all. And, Jansen's drumming is essential to the album. Not many drummers can groove like him. With all due respect to Jaki who is a terrific drummer in his own right...he is much more abstract and obtuse in the rhymic angles he chooses and for me , would not have suited the SBS material at all.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:12 pm

i LOVE.... I ADORE SBS.... I want to lick it !!!!!!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:52 am

godisinthesilences wrote:i LOVE.... I ADORE SBS.... I want to lick it !!!!!!

Umm... :P
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:22 pm

heartofdavid wrote:
Bern wrote:I remember reading recently in one of my wife's magazines (completely by accident of course!) that she has had a face lift-irritating Toyah fact #1

She wrote a book about it, called "Diary of a Facelift"; saw that at a used book store but didn't buy it.

Yes, and that's not the only thing she has been writing lately. Yesterday whilst waiting at the doctors I started flicking through some old magazines and what did I find in one of them? An Agony Aunt column written by none other than our very own Mrs Fripp aka Toyah! Yes folks there she was dishing out advice on how to give good oral (and I'm not referring to public speaking ...) After reading that all I can say is that Robert Fripp must be one happy man ... ... :twisted:
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Previous

Return to General Discussion