I love the 80's

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

I love the 80's

Postby Simonp on Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:51 pm

what were you favourite bands/singers/songs of the 80's? I think it was a great period for music despite many critics slating it calling it a period of creative redundancy.

Songs -

Feels Like Heaven - fiction factory
Bring on the dancing horses - echo and the bunnymen
Charlotte Anne - Julian Cope
Hunting High & Low - A-ha
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Stoobie on Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:11 pm

Downtown Lights ~ Blue nile
Anything by Love & Money ! or Hipsway !
Anything by DS !

in no particular order.

Your right Simon, it wasnt too bad really........apart from Shakin Stevens ! and the annual Cliff Richard Christmas song !

Stoobie
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:20 pm

Songs that had the biggest emotional impact on me at the time (not that I necessarily like them, other than for sentimental reasons, now - although many are still pleasures, guilty or otherwise):

What's Another Year? - Johnny Logan (sorry!)
Video Killed the Radio Star - Buggles
Message In A Bottle - The Police
Dog Eat Dog - Adam and the Ants
Planet Earth - Duran Duran
Reward - The Teardrop Explodes
Tainted Love - Soft Cell
Ghosts - Japan
Gold - Spandau Ballet
Song to the Siren - This Mortal Coil
Pride - U2
Careless Whisper - George Michael
Jericho - Simply Red

In terms of timeless brilliance:

Obviously, everything by Furniture
Most Japan from Quiet Life onwards (IMO - I know this is debatable)
Kate Bush
Julian Cope
The Smiths
The Buzzcocks
The Psychedelic Furs
This Mortal Coil
Pet Shop Boys (sorry, but I love them)

I loved the 80s.
(a) the naive optimism at the beginning, with New Romanticism and futurism, when everyone was looking to a bright, shiny robot-driven future and we all thought the Charles and Diana wedding was a fairy tale romance, heralding a brave new world. To misquote Philip Larkin, never such innocence again.
(b) people were politically engaged then. Young people aspired to change the world, not get a £30K job, a designer handbag and a starter home.
Last edited by Melaszka on Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

i love the 80s

Postby neonico on Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:56 pm

i hate the 80s
neonico

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:01 pm

i love the 80s.... personally the best musical period of time.

friends of mine - duran duran
pride- u2
ink in the well - ds
big country - big country
cloudbusting - kate bush

well for me duran duran was primarily all i listened to so this wasn't easy to choose other artists ...
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:10 pm

I'm so glad Stoobie mentioned The Blue Nile. Tinseltown... always reminds me of dancing at a Bamboo party. For those who don't know I went to see them in Belfast last year. (They had played in Manchester, but I missed it. I'm also missing the Glasgow/London/Galway gigs this year...) Anyway, it was worth every penny.

I hated the 1980s because I was unhappy. I still love Japan because that was the only thing that made me happy then. Make sense...?

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:00 pm

yes it makes complete sense. I was very unhappy growing up in the 80s but then i immersed myself into duran duran. They literally saved my life (and I do mean that literally). Being into them also opened me up to listening to other groups. I NEVER would have found Japan or solo DS without duran.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:23 am

the 80s was as any other decade. it had its ups and downs.
fav music drom the 80s?
propaganda
art of noise
kate bush
david sylvian
david bowie (early)
sakamoto
new order
brian eno
talk talk
blue nile
cocteau twins
and yes, charlotte anne is a great song...
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby E.T. on Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:02 pm

I think last olympic (Turin) featured a lot of 80's tunes, I loved it.
sounded chirpy.
other era don't have such atmosphere, I guess.
whatever gets you through the night
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:58 pm

I love the 80's!!

New wave is one of my favorite genre's. Not to mention Japan indirectly pretty much INSPIRED a big part of 80's fashion! I wish I could have been around back then... I would have fit in just right!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:22 pm

yeah it is too funny how nick rhodes basically copied david's way of dressing down to a science... then other people ripped them off.... awesome!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:09 am

More things I loved about the 80s:

1. Fashion seemed to be more about individualism and creativity then, whereas now it seems to be all about labels, money, status and looking exactly the same as everyone else.

I seem to remember that teenage magazines would often include a section where they photographed well-dressed members of the public on the street and asked them where they got their clothes. If you said you'd found something for 5p at a jumble sale, there was huge kudos in that.

2. I loved the way that new wave and indie bands seemed to have a culture of hanging out with their fans socially. You went to the gig, bought the band a pint afterwards, and they knew your name.

This was, of course, in some cases down to the fact that they had so few fans they could fit them all in their front room, but it was also part of the post-punk unpretentious anti-rock star philosophy, and even quite famous bands responded in the same way.

I remember one of my schoolfriends stalking The Smiths obsessively when they were at the height of their fame, and whenever she turned up on his doorstep/at his manager's office/at his record label for about the fifth time that week, Morrissey never called the police or told her to f*** off, he'd just give a weary sigh and say "Oh, it's you, Samantha. I suppose you'd better come in and have a cup of tea."

I never really got into this aspect too much - I was too much of a nerd (although on the rare occasions when I did pluck up the courage to approach a band I liked, I was always amazed at how accepting, unjudgemental and friendly they were). It's one of my biggest regrets and if I could get in my Tardis and go back, I'd love to go to a lot more gigs and hang out with indie bands I liked a lot more.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:45 am

THAT is so true Mel. I remember about how cool the dressing was... I used to love going to the salvation army and putting clothes together i found there.

And I had a girlfriend who used to show up at John Taylor's mum's house and she was so nice to them... gave them tea and chatted. She would even tell them when John would be home so they could come on over to see him. He knew who they were.. and when I met him and mentioned her first name he knew exactly who she was and asked how she was doing. LOL it was so funny and awesome!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:42 am

godisinthesilences wrote:And I had a girlfriend who used to show up at John Taylor's mum's house and she was so nice to them... gave them tea and chatted. She would even tell them when John would be home so they could come on over to see him. He knew who they were.. and when I met him and mentioned her first name he knew exactly who she was and asked how she was doing. LOL it was so funny and awesome!

That's such a nice story. It reminds me - I used to live and work in Harrow, only one Tube stop from Pinner, where Simon Le Bon grew up. Lots of my neighbours had known the family and no-one had a bad word to say about them. Apparently the first thing Simon did when Duran Duran started earning real money was buy a big house for his mum.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby E.T. on Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:35 pm

Michael Fortunati - into the night

I heard this song when I was 10, that tune was used for our performance in our elementary school. we danced to it.
another song was Berlin - Take my breath away, I found it's title when I was in high school, but I didn't know title of other tune.
tonight I heard Michael fortunati's Give me Up, I thought this tune sounds like that old song, so I searched for Micheal Fortunati, and I found it! :D
released on the Ariola? same as Japan!? life in tokyo!

I'm dancing for joy! dance

keep on dancing
whatever gets you through the night
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to General Discussion