What One Song...?

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

What One Song...?

Postby Fire Rose 45 on Mon May 19, 2008 6:59 pm

I have a question I'd like to ask...if you met someone who had never heard of Japan, and you could only play one song for them that would say, "This is Japan", which one would it be? What one David Sylvian song would you play to say, "This is David Sylvian"? And what one song do you think is THE definitive rock and roll song, the song that best says, "This is rock and roll" for someone who has never heard rock before?

For me the definitive rock and roll song would be Steppenwolf's "Born to be Wild". It embodies the spirit and rebellion and everything that is rock to me and is the definitive rock song. The David song I would play would be either "Waterfront" or "Damage", and I guess "Quiet Life" as a Japan song. What do you think? Thanks.
"The question that sometimes makes me hazy... am I or the others crazy?" -- Albert Einstein

"This band is perfect - just don't scratch the surface." -- Duran Duran
Fire Rose 45
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Adrian on Tue May 20, 2008 12:50 am

oooh difficult...
rock: ace of spades by motörhead
japan: visions of china
sylvian: fire in the forest

all likely to change depending on my mood and the person I'm doing it for of course...
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Tue May 20, 2008 3:40 am

Umm...

I'd agree with you on Quiet Life, Fire Rose.
DS: Let The Happiness In... possibly...
Rock: Have to be something by Porcupine Tree :wink: but which one? So hard to choose...

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Meyrav on Tue May 20, 2008 7:05 am

Japan: Alien.
DS: Waterfront or...Orpheus.
Rock: Hellraiser by Sweet.
Meyrav
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Tue May 20, 2008 3:21 pm

Great question. NB "definitive" or "typical" are not the same things at all as "best" or "favourite" - these are not my favourite songs

Japan: Alien
Sylvian: Orpheus
Rock: Led Zeppelin - Black Dog or perhaps Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:05 am

wow i think this is a very difficult question when it comes to david's music. His music changes so often it is hard to pinpoint what one song of his definitively says "this is david sylvian".... I think they are all david and all different. I think it would be easier to choose one from each solo album of his and say this is who he was at this period of time.
I suppose I could choose Orpheus as it seems to be one of his more commercially successful later songs.. and does seem to be a bit more accessible to everyone. I love this song as well but i can think of others i prefer more....
Japan - hhmm i do think once the quiet life album came out it was more who they were as a group... but if i had to choose a song I'd select Gentlemen Take Polaroids.
As for a rock song I'm a poor candidate for this selection as i've never really gotten into true rock music....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Adrian on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:08 am

ehm... isn't Orpheus 20 years old?
:-)
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby natsume on Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:42 pm

This is kind of too limiting of a question in regards to Sylvian's work. The whole is often greater than its parts, and I think it is the scope of all of the work that makes its parts shine. A song like Pop Song, if I had never heard anything else by him, would not have sold me on his talent. Yet I love it for its contrast to the rest of his body of work. I love Blemish, but again, I find its value in contrast to the background of his career. If it was his only album, I would be very hesitant to want to listen to another. If I wanted to give somebody a taste of his work, I would have to make a mix touching on aspects of his whole career, there is no way around it.
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:41 pm

Adrian wrote:ehm... isn't Orpheus 20 years old?
:-)

I believe it came out in 1987... so yup it is 20 years old... almost 21. But i think I was saying in terms of something more commercially "edible" for the undetermined ear of any random person. There is nothing wrong with something being commercially successful... it doesn't make it a bad piece of music.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:41 pm

natsume wrote:This is kind of too limiting of a question in regards to Sylvian's work. The whole is often greater than its parts, and I think it is the scope of all of the work that makes its parts shine. A song like Pop Song, if I had never heard anything else by him, would not have sold me on his talent. Yet I love it for its contrast to the rest of his body of work. I love Blemish, but again, I find its value in contrast to the background of his career. If it was his only album, I would be very hesitant to want to listen to another. If I wanted to give somebody a taste of his work, I would have to make a mix touching on aspects of his whole career, there is no way around it.

thank you that was a much better way of saying what i was thinking... thank you for being more articulate :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:28 am

VELVET UNDERGROUND - WAITING FOR MY MAN
JAPAN - GHOSTS (or Blackwater)
DAVID SYLVIAN - A FIRE IN THE FOREST
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby mikaels on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:30 pm

"This is Japan" Methods of Dance, or maybe Gentlemen Take Polariods. GTP is THE Japan album, for me, it epitomizes eveything Japan.
"This is David Sylvian" Hard one, probably something from Secrets of the Beehive, Orfeus perhaps. I still find it one of his most personal albums, although he probably didn't even know at the time he wrote it...
"This is rock and roll" Led Zep it HAS to be, so I'll go for Rock 'n' Roll
/Mikael
--------------------------------------------------
- 'Do you indulge in any form of worship?'
- 'Life. I love life, very much indeed.'
mikaels
Regular
Regular

Return to General Discussion