Meetup - LONDON 14 JUNE

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Which is best?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:00 am

King's Cross
60%
Liverpool Street
10%
Waterloo
10%
Paddington
20%

Total votes : 10

Postby anortherncod on Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:37 pm

I'm not really familiar with YMO stuff, Sis, and as I'm working on Mondays this academic year I don't think my boss would have been very pleased with me... so that's why I didn't go. Oh well...

I reckon I might well be the first to post, Chet, unless that Astronaut is up at two o'clock in the morning like she usually is. She's a night owl, that one! :wink:

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:57 am

Not familiar with YMO stuff either, but I guess that if I had been there I would have thought that some of our guys would be there. Probably David was too?

YMO play in Gijón this week, but sadly it's even more expensive flying there than London. And that's their only other gig in Europe!
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

JAPAN - SATURDAY MEET UP - WONDERFUL

Postby suki9533 on Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:49 am

Great to meet those of you who attended our meet up on Saturday and for those who also attended the YMO show at the Royal Festival Hall last night.

I am now well and truly completely broke until I get paid.

Thanks again for such a wonderful weekend.

Stefan
suki9533
Noob
Noob

Re: JAPAN - SATURDAY MEET UP - WONDERFUL

Postby Steerpike on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:33 am

suki9533 wrote:Great to meet those of you who attended our meet up on Saturday and for those who also attended the YMO show at the Royal Festival Hall last night.

I am now well and truly completely broke until I get paid.

Thanks again for such a wonderful weekend.

Stefan

Lovely to meet everyone too. I'll write a longer post about the meet -up later.
Steerpike
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:39 am

Hello everyone!

I intended doing this a little earlier, but I've not been well today :cry: probably because I am as sick as a parrot for not having gone to the YMO gig as detailed above...

Anyway, here's an overview of what happened at the meetup. There were nine of us in total - at this point I hope no one minds me using their real names - me, Siobhan (Astronaut), Laura (Steerpike), Stefan (Suki), Paul (Karnsculpture), Paul's partner Tom, Sarah who was a penpal of Paul's back in the day, Sarah's friend Brian, and Kevin who is on Pioneers.

We went to the Japanese restaurant just as Paul Weller was leaving, which led to a lot of mirth along the lines of 'is he part of the group as well?'. Paul outlined the details of the virtual concert but was very modest saying it was just a 'daft idea'.

After that we went to Sister Ray record shop and then to a pub for lots of discussion, obviously! Some people had organised other things to do, and from about seven o'clock it was me, Siobhan and Laura - we've now christened ourselves the 3 JBK-ites :wink: - till midnight.

On Sunday Siobhan and I walked the ENTIRE LENGTH of High Street Kensington as a kind of pilgrimage. Next time we'll do a bit more research into Japan-related locations though!

In all it was great to meet everyone, of course!

Some of us were talking about why people in the UK hadn't wanted to come and I think it would be very useful if people gave us feedback.

We wondered if some people thought that we would only meet for lunch and then that would be it, but it didn't happen that way, so I thought it was worth making that clear. People would have been welcome to bring their partners or friends and make a weekend of it.

Comments and questions are welcome...

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:52 am

I think the house party idea is a good one; Siobhan and I also talked about a theme, possibly good record shops or Japan-related locations. I personally have to admit, though, that I am worried about the lack of potential for the virtual concert idea if only 9 people turn up. That's why I wanted to underline the fact that we didn't just meet for a couple of hours.

You'd all be welcome to have a house party at a certain location in the North West, but I think my father-in-law might kill me!!!

Natasha

Edit: PS. Paul, you're right about Rich and anyway he could never be over-flattered imo :wink:

I think the person you met before the YMO gig was 'Fetafunk' who contacted me on MySpace and said he would come - I hope he didn't just miss us.
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Despair on Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:46 pm

Hi Guys.

Glad it all seemed to go well. Alas twas impossible for me as you did the meet-up on my daughters birthday, but im glad you all propose to do this again, somewhere else :D
I certainly dont mind travellin around from here in Manchester, as ive never had a chance to have a good drink and a chat about JAPAN/Sylvian, and im always travellin down to London anyways.
The PRETTY IN PINK idea sounds a good un.
Ive been scratchin my head trying to think of a club in Manchester that would play JAPAN/Sylvian music. Its hard to do on a Saturday, cos thats when clubs are busiest, and i cant see them giving their clubs over to us lot.
One idea that could be pursued tho, there is a club on Oxford Rd Manchester called `Gillys` used to be `Rock World`. They have multiple rooms playing mainly grungey stuff, and rock stuff, but one room played 80s music and the DJ always played JAPAN stuff for me. He had the `In-Vogue` compilation, and he`d always play the uptempo stuff. Thing is, i last went about 4 years ago. Also, the room was only small and there`d be no more than 20-30 people in that room at one time. If they still run the 80s policy, they might let us take the room for a fee....whaddya think ??

Craig x
Despair
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Astronaut on Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:43 pm

anortherncod wrote:I think the house party idea is a good one; Siobhan and I also talked about a theme, possibly good record shops or Japan-related locations. I personally have to admit, though, that I am worried about the lack of potential for the virtual concert idea if only 9 people turn up. That's why I wanted to underline the fact that we didn't just meet for a couple of hours.

Hello Everyone!

Well it was really great to meet up with you on Saturday - such a shame more of you couldn't make it for various reasons - but there will be a next time. That was funny when Paul Weller walked out of the restaurant! Oh dear! :lol:

Anyway, house party? Yes very good idea. I'd be willing to travel oop north if necessary. The club night as we discussed Paul, would be a truly excellent night, but I am very concerned about the number of people who would actually attend. Lots say they will and then don't. If we have to hire the venue we couldn't afford for that to happen, which brings me to the subject of money. A club night/virtual concert like that would have to involve an entrance fee wouldn't it to cover cost of equipment hire etc - is this feasible?

As Natasha has said we thought a Japan themed walk/pub crawl around London would be a good way of getting people together, or a vinyl/CD hunt around the record stores. I'm going to do some research on the areas/places in London related to Japan because that's something I'd like to do anyway.

It was sooooo great meeting everyone and I wish we could have Japan meet-ups every month! Although I would be seriously skint - hey I am already!

Natasha (anortherncod) and Laura (Steerpike) you rock girls! We are the JBK-ites!!! Remember: "It's a sign - it's written on the wall!" David Sylvian acolytes need not apply! LOL!!! :lol:

Siobhan/Astrogirl xx
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby caroline on Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:05 pm

Hi guys,
Sorry I couldn't make it either, it was just a bit far and to be honest I feel a bit intimidated by how much everyone else seems to know about Japan, JBK and PT, I know a little about them and just love the music so although I would love to hear more about them, as I love logging on here and learning more each time, I wouldn't have as much to offer you all.

Don't take this the wrong way as you all have been extremely friendly I guess I don't get into it on such a deep level, I'm blonde after all :lol: Glad you all had a good time.

Would love to come to another meet if it was say in the North of England, I have family in Manchester (Uncle Pat (Crerand)) so could stay with them if need be.

Caz xx
caroline
Regular
Regular

Postby anortherncod on Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:16 am

Caroline, you would have had loads to offer because, as you said, you 'just love the music' :D

I do think I understand what you mean about feeling intimidated. However, for example, I've seen DS twice in concert - last year and in 1988. PT have been going for years but I only bought my first album of theirs in 2004. Yes, I went to two Bamboo parties, but subsequently missed all the ones which were attended by ex-members...

So what I'm trying to say is that I don't think I am a lesser fan than someone who's been to every gig, every Bamboo party, and has been into PT since 1878, and similarly, I don't think I'm a better fan than someone who's never been to a gig. There is always the potential in any fan community for that to happen, but it's not happening here in my little fish bowl.

Come down to Manchester and stay with your uncle, we can paint the town red!!!

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Despair on Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:08 pm

Caroline .... Can i stay at your Uncles ???
Is that right, it really is Paddy Crerand ???
A Man Utd legend no less. Can we have the JAPAN/SYLVIAN house party at his place ?? :D
Despair
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Stoobie on Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:30 pm

Glad you all had a good time, would loved to have joined you but i had already made other plans...maybe next time :?

Make it soon !

Stoobie :-D
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:38 pm

Hmmm, I've never been to Manchester ... :twisted:
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing