Strong Support for Samadhi Sound?

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Strong Support for Samadhi Sound?

Postby baht habit on Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:41 pm

I had recently undergone some minor surgery and was down and out for a couple of days and consequently found myself going through my cds and wound up listening entirely to those cds I own from the Samadhi Sound catalog. While listening, this got me to thinking if many of Sylvian's fans have been devoted enough to purchase the entire catalog...in effect helping to greatly support Sylvian's venture.

These are the Samadhi Sound releases which I have :

David Sylvian - blemish
David Sylvian - blemish (+ bonus track Trauma)
Akira Rabelais - Spellewauerynsherde
Harold Budd - Avalon Sutra / As Long As I Can Hold My Breath
David Sylvian - The Good Son vs The Only Daughter : blemish remixes
Nine Horses - Snow Borne Sorrow
Nine Horses - Wonderful World
Derek Bailey - To Play : The Blemish Sessions
Nine Horses - Money For All
Harold Budd - Perhaps
David Sylvian - When Loud Weather Buffeted Naoshima
Various Artists - The World is Everything : Samadhi Sound Sampler
Steve Jansen - Slope
Steve Jansen - Swimming In Qualia (Ascent)

I've never purchased the World Citizen ep since I already had the version put out a year earlier by Warner Music and I still haven't gotten around to buying a copy of Sound Body by David Toop.
I guess I am wondering which releases all of you have in your collection. Are there any completists out there?
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Adrian on Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:02 am

yep - and not just to support David. This is the kind of music I really like; and when it gets to me this nicely packaged...
I have all releases so far and while I love some more than others, all of them are top notch in my book!
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:40 am

Hi Baht,

I don't have as large of a collection as you do! But I'll list what I do have...

David Sylvian - Blemish CD
David Sylvian - Blemish LP
David Sylvian - The Good Son VS The Only Daughter
David Sylvian - World Citizen
Nine Horses - Wonderful World Single
Steve Jansen - Slope
Samadhi Sound Sampler CD

I also picked up a CD a few months ago called 'Compounds & Elements' ... It's very good! It's mostly Brian Eno... But it has a lot of Harold Budd and a Jon Hassel song as well!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Melaszka on Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:14 pm

I'm afraid I have only:

Blemish - David Sylvian
The Good Son Vs The Only Daughter - David Sylvian
Snow Borne Sorrow - Nine Horses

(a) I'm not a completist (b) I currently earn less than minimum wage and, much as I'd love to support David more (and his extremely noble mission to promote other good, non-mainstream artists), supporting myself is slightly more pressing!
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:08 pm

Melaszka wrote:I'm afraid I have only:

Blemish - David Sylvian
The Good Son Vs The Only Daughter - David Sylvian
Snow Borne Sorrow - Nine Horses

(a) I'm not a completist (b) I currently earn less than minimum wage and, much as I'd love to support David more (and his extremely noble mission to promote other good, non-mainstream artists), supporting myself is slightly more pressing!

I'd like to say: I'm in a similar situation to Mel ... insofar as [a] I'm definitely NOT a completist and [b] I've only very recently returned to work after a year long 'break' (if you want to call it that - not fun - maybe I should post on the 'Therapy' thread!!!!) so like you Mel, supporting myself is more important that supporting Mr Sylvian & co, even if I do wholeheartedly support their intentions.

Almost forgot!
Money for All - 9 Horses
Blemish - DS
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:39 pm

Melaszka wrote:I currently earn less than minimum wage and, much as I'd love to support David more (and his extremely noble mission to promote other good, non-mainstream artists), supporting myself is slightly more pressing!

Mel, surely that is against the law?

For my part:

David Sylvian - Blemish
Steve Jansen - Slope
Samadhi Sound Sampler CD

I have to admit that I love, I mean really LOVE completism, but my problem was being skint/stupid (delete as applicable) for much of the 1990s and so now I'm catching up.

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:20 pm

anortherncod wrote:Mel, surely that is against the law?

It would be if I were employed by someone else, but I'm self-employed. Oops - completely off-topic
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:22 pm

Melaszka wrote:
anortherncod wrote:Mel, surely that is against the law?

It would be if I were employed by someone else, but I'm self-employed. Oops - completely off-topic

Still off-topic, but who cares... I'm both employed and self-employed, and my self-employment pays more than what I get from my employer...

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:42 pm

anortherncod wrote:Still off-topic, but who cares... I'm both employed and self-employed, and my self-employment pays more than what I get from my employer...

Natasha

Continuing the off-topicfest, I'd like to clarify that the low earnings are not because I'm so rubbish no-one wants to pay me, it's more that home commitments limit the amount and kinds of work I can take on right now (this might also be encroaching on the Therapy thread).

It's great being self-employed, though, isn't it (apart from when you have to file the tax return)?
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby untitled on Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:02 pm

I have everything except:

Blemish with bonus track: I'm not a big fan of bonus tracks only released in certain countries. Is there any reason to do it other than to make money on duplicate sales?

Harold Budd – Perhaps: Lovely man, lovely music – just not doing it for me right now.

David Toop – Sound Body. Very interested in his stuff and imagine it's time will come soon!

So - not a completist, but not doing it to support SS either. David and Steve's work aside, it just manages to produce some interesting little gems now and again. Long may it continue to do so!
I found the way, by the sound of your voice.
untitled
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sisterlondon on Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:11 pm

I am a completist for some bands/artists, but not exactly for their labels. I have heard some excerpts of Samadhisound cds that are not really my cup of tea. But I always buy the stuff by David / Steve that I like (which doesn't include Blemish, don't kill me!)

So I have:

David Sylvian - The Good Son vs The Only Daughter : blemish remixes
Nine Horses - Wonderful World
Various Artists - The World is Everything : Samadhi Sound Sampler
Steve Jansen - Slope
Steve Jansen - Swimming In Qualia (Ascent) (guess you mean the download?)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:22 am

Melaszka wrote:Continuing the off-topicfest, I'd like to clarify that the low earnings are not because I'm so rubbish no-one wants to pay me, it's more that home commitments limit the amount and kinds of work I can take on right now (this might also be encroaching on the Therapy thread).

It's great being self-employed, though, isn't it (apart from when you have to file the tax return)?

I see... so you mean that because you can't work full-time, let's say, your earnings are the equivalent of less-than-minimum-wage full-time earnings? (Getting all mathematical again.) Maybe you still need to find better self-employment. Didn't you spend some time in eastern Europe? You could be a terp or translator... I love being self-employed but am worried about the tax return, it's my first :shock:

Back ON topic, Sisterlondon, it was interesting to see you've got the remixed Blemish but not the original. I'm the other way round. Are they substantially different then?

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:14 am

anortherncod wrote:I see... so you mean that because you can't work full-time, let's say, your earnings are the equivalent of less-than-minimum-wage full-time earnings? (Getting all mathematical again.)

Yes, that's exactly what I mean! The general point, though, was that not everyone has the cash to be a completist - I don't think how much you support a band or label can be measured purely in how much of their work you have bought.

Back ON topic, Sisterlondon, it was interesting to see you've got the remixed Blemish but not the original. I'm the other way round. Are they substantially different then?

I'm interested to hear sisterlondon's response to this, too. I decided not to buy TGSVTOD because I'd been very underwhelmed by Camphor and thought that yet another album of remixes of stuff I already have would be a waste of money, but a friend then got it for my birthday a couple of years ago and I'm so glad she did - it's totally different to Blemish.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:06 am

Melaszka wrote:
anortherncod wrote:I see... so you mean that because you can't work full-time, let's say, your earnings are the equivalent of less-than-minimum-wage full-time earnings? (Getting all mathematical again.)

Yes, that's exactly what I mean! The general point, though, was that not everyone has the cash to be a completist - I don't think how much you support a band or label can be measured purely in how much of their work you have bought.

That's a very good point. I would never measure someone's support of an artist or band in terms of how much they can or can't buy, because all our circumstances are different. Some people, unfortunately, do; but getting everything by former Japan members is hard and expensive work - just check out Amazon for proof of that!

Totally different to Blemish, eh? I think it's on my Want List 1... :wink:

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:29 am

I'd love to have the whole Samadhi Collection! But I, like many others, don't have the money now to purchase it all--So I keep it to the essentials: Nine Horses, David Sylvian, and Steve Jansen. I have to say that a good deal of my Samadhi CD's (and LP) were gifts, and I really appreciate them!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Return to General Discussion