UK meetup

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Which city is best?

London
53%
Birmingham
No votes
Manchester
12%
Cardiff
No votes
Edinburgh
6%
Glasgow
18%
Belfast
No votes
I can travel to any of the above
6%
Other
6%

Total votes : 17

Postby sisterlondon on Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:12 pm

Steerpike wrote:
Pre-sale for London is tomorrow (11th April)

http://www.theo2.co.uk/event/duran-duran-20080703.html

I was meaning the fan club presale, sorry for not saying it clear (man, how can those London tix be so expensive???? I am glad I am not going to that one!) I will go to the other 3 shows though :)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:38 pm

Astronaut wrote:Other - could be anywhere - I mean if I really had any control over the matter we'd all be meeting up at Mick's house for a cup of tea and biscuit sculptures

:roll: No, what you mean is you'd like an, ahem, intimate meetup with just you and Mick. "Come round and see my sculptures, Astronaut" etc etc... :lol:

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:28 pm

anortherncod wrote:
Astronaut wrote:Other - could be anywhere - I mean if I really had any control over the matter we'd all be meeting up at Mick's house for a cup of tea and biscuit sculptures

:roll: No, what you mean is you'd like an, ahem, intimate meetup with just you and Mick. "Come round and see my sculptures, Astronaut" etc etc... :lol:

Natasha
Ahhh! You know me so well my northern friend! That is indeed what I would like. I could give him the full benefit of my education in artistic and visual theories, studying sculpture 'in the round' as they say ... and I certainly wouldn't mind doing a round with MK! :twisted: :smt055 Hee! Hee!
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:19 pm

Hello! Natasha - do you want to set a deadline for this poll now so we can start to arrange the finer details of where and when to do the meet up?
:-D
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:46 pm

Astronaut wrote:Hello! Natasha - do you want to set a deadline for this poll now so we can start to arrange the finer details of where and when to do the meet up?

Yes, good plan. I propose that the deadline be...

Friday 18 April midnight BST

I know that's only the day after tomorrow, but the results have been stuck at 53% for London for quite some time now and so I think we've had most of the responses we're going to get, so, UK members, vote now!!!

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:06 pm

Natasha
Unless it's just my imagination - the VOTE button appears to be missing, so how are people gonna vote????
:shock:
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:09 pm

Astronaut wrote:Natasha
Unless it's just my imagination - the VOTE button appears to be missing, so how are people gonna vote????

Maybe it's because you've already voted, because I can't see it either, but I voted when I created it, for 'I can travel to any of these cities'. So there can't be the opportunity to vote twice - which, let's face it, could have meant that I could have voted 637 times for Manchester...

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:10 pm

Astronaut wrote:Natasha

Doesn't the "vote" button disappear after you've already voted (so people can't rig votes by voting 50 times)? Or is it not that sophisticated?
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:33 pm

Hi Mel! and Natasha!
Yeah of course that's the reason - Doh!!! I just wondered as there has been no action on this thread for a few days thats all ... :(
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby japanfan on Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:54 pm

What is gonna happen on this meetup? I may come though London is a bit far. I did like the sound of the Japan club nights idea on Japan Pioneers though i feel arranging and paying for this would be nigh on impossible!
Japanfan - The luminescent, mysterious, and androgynous New Romantic.
http://www.myspace.com/sylvianfan
japanfan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: reply

Postby anortherncod on Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:15 pm

japanfan wrote:What is gonna happen on this meetup? I may come though London is a bit far. I did like the sound of the Japan club nights idea on Japan Pioneers though i feel arranging and paying for this would be nigh on impossible!

I've tried to forge some kind of what we might call 'cross-pollination' between this site and Pioneers, since I belong to both.

Paul Rymer is potentially thinking that in the future a club night would be possible, though, like you say, it will take a LOT of organisation.

So I would suggest that anyone who would like something like the club night attends the meetup if they can. This meetup will, I think, consist of going for lunch somewhere and the only Japan-related content will be in our conversations - BUT it will prove a benchmark for the future. Paul (or anyone else) is not going to want to organise something if two people turn up.

I know you're in Scotland, and I'm in the North West, but I think it's a case of what grows from small acorns. Potentially there could be meetups across the country, if enough people are interested. At the moment, though, it's a big 'if' - seeing as how I'm posting this I can't check to be certain, but I think there have been 15 votes in a month. There are 400-odd members here, and I can't believe that only 3% of them live in the UK.

[Edit: OK, the poll started on 6 April, but I get the feeling we've had about as many responses as we're going to, hence the decision to close tomorrow night.]

Again I feel a bit like Debi Zornes from the old Bamboo days - if people don't want to come, there won't be anything to come to. If people make a bit of an effort - which I will be doing by going to London - who knows what wonderful things could happen in the future?

Natasha

PS. I just had to ask my partner how to express 15 people as a percentage of 400+... :lol:
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:52 pm

PS. I just had to ask my partner how to express 15 people as a percentage of 400+...

And I thought you were a mathematical genius!!! :lol: I agee with all of the above. Paul, or whoever wants to organise a large meet up, wont do so if only 2 people turn up as you say. Next year would be a particularly good one for organising the club night/concert as it's the 30th anniversary of QL which, as we all know, was considered their 'breakthrough' album. So, if we can get ourselves organised for this meet up, we stand a very good chance of bigger and better things in the future.
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:02 am

More bumpy than Mr Bump getting the bumps for his birthday and then driving over some speed bumps...

SEVEN HOURS to go before close of poll, UK members!

Expect a new poll tomorrow morning with further details of when and where. Subsequent polls will have a shorter timespan so as to get this thing 'off the ground'.

Let's be 'aving you, etc etc!

Bossyboots... I mean, Natasha :D
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:04 pm

Sorry Natasha but your "Bumpity-Bump" techniques didn't work this time! :( *sigh*

Well according to my laptop here, the time is now 00:03 on 19th April 2008. This poll is now closed - correct Natasha? :-)
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:40 am

Astronaut wrote:Sorry Natasha but your "Bumpity-Bump" techniques didn't work this time! :( *sigh*

Well according to my laptop here, the time is now 00:03 on 19th April 2008. This poll is now closed - correct Natasha? :-)

Correct. If there had been some last-minute stragglers we would have let them on board, of course... but it's now 9.40 on Saturday morning, so that's yer lot I'm afraid.

Expect the next poll shortly...

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Previous

Return to General Discussion