UK meetup

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Which city is best?

London
53%
Birmingham
No votes
Manchester
12%
Cardiff
No votes
Edinburgh
6%
Glasgow
18%
Belfast
No votes
I can travel to any of the above
6%
Other
6%

Total votes : 17

UK meetup

Postby anortherncod on Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:28 am

Hi everyone!

For those of us in the UK, or who would like to travel to the UK for a meetup, which is your favourite of these cities?

Before you decide, two things...

1. If your choice is 'other', please say what the other city is;
and 2. They are all fine for me, as long as it's at a weekend when I'm not working.

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:59 pm

Hi Natasha! Thanks for starting this poll - very good idea! :-D
OK I have just voted for London, however I am also willing to travel to Birmingham, and I think I could possibly make it to Manchester too, but I'd have to travel by train to B'ham and Manc. Like you (and I suspect most of us) it would have to be a Saturday and of course, we all need to know in advance to make travel arrangements.

I hope this goes ahead - coz I'm excited already! What am I like!!!! :shock: :-D :-D :-D x.

PS: Is there a deadline for this poll?????
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:17 am

I really hope it goes ahead too, my space travelling friend...

At the moment I'm thinking of NOT putting in a deadline, and seeing what happens.

But I wonder if it might be an idea for those who don't think they can make it to say why - then maybe we could use that information to open it out to as many people as possible.

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:23 am

Thanks for starting the poll, Natasha. I hope you get lots of response, as it's a great idea.

Sadly, because of family commitments, as detailed elsewhere, I probably won't be able to attend. If it's during the day, or possibly early evening, and in London or Birmingham, I might be able to come. But pls don't plan around me, as - much as I'd love to - I can't guarantee I could make it, even then.

Whatever the response, I hope it goes ahead and you have a great time.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:11 pm

Melaszka wrote:If it's during the day, or possibly early evening, and in London or Birmingham, I might be able to come. But pls don't plan around me, as - much as I'd love to - I can't guarantee I could make it, even then.

Good that you raised this, Mel, because I think we all might have our own ideas of what would be entailed. Whichever city ends up being picked, most people will have a bit of a trek, so I had in mind a lunchtime meetup - this would make it easier and cheaper for most people. For example I could get to London for midday for around £30, but booking a hotel room raises the cost considerably, so everyone, please bear that in mind too - unless anyone has different ideas...?

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Steerpike on Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:30 pm

I think London would be a good place to meet as it's where the band lived and we could go and meet up in a place suitable "Japan-esque".

For me, South Kensington, South Moulton Street, Mayfair (Especially the Carlos Gallery) and places around Oxford Street always stir those early 80's memories. After David's concert last September, I can now add the South Bank centre and High Street Kensington to those memories too :-)
Steerpike
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:24 am

Hello Steerpike! :smt006 You mean you want to go to London but you dont want to visit that holy shrine known as Catford? Why on earth not? If we do meet up in London we could go to Fulham (didn't DS have a flat there once in the early 80's after he moved out of Kensington?) or perhaps we could pop over to Acton for a cup of tea with Steve and his family? Ha! Ha! No, seriously, if we meet up in London I think it's best to keep to somewhere central to cut down on travelling times, etc. London is definitely the most direct destination for me and I know my way around fairly well as I lived in south London for seven years, so ...

I've only been to Birmingham once - to see a DD concert (of course!) and I've never been to Manchester, so it's all an adventure! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Steerpike on Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:02 pm

You mean you want to go to London but you dont want to visit that holy shrine known as Catford? Why on earth not?

Because I'm a North Londoner born & bred. Don't you know about the North & South Thames divide? :lol:

As I still live in London, a meet-up here would be ideal for me.
Steerpike
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:15 pm

I might go to the UK to see DD in July. I doubt I will have much time for anything, but if any of you are going, I'd love saying at least hi! :)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:01 pm

sisterlondon wrote:I might go to the UK to see DD in July. I doubt I will have much time for anything, but if any of you are going, I'd love saying at least hi! :)

Hi sisterlondon! Have the tour dates for the UK been published now? I definitely want to go this year. Last saw them in 2004. If I get to go I'd definitely want to meet you too if possible!

Steerpike you lazy so-and-so, there's nowt wrong wiv sarf london - you cheeky mare! What are you - a cab driver? "Nah mate, sarf of the river, after midnight, you're havin a larf aintcha!!!" The shame! Lewisham's OK if you wear your bullet proof vest ... :-D LOL!
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:25 pm

I used to live near Lewisham and used to work in the area too. I didn't find it too bad. But then, I knew I could run home to the leafy pastures of Hertfordshire any time.

Oh...I now live in the leafy pastures of Herfordshire. What does that tell you?!

C
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:18 pm

Astronaut, 4 tour dates and I am doing 3 of those. Check DD.com for details, presale tomorrow and general sale later this week. Will be very busy days, travelling up and down, but would be nice saying hello at least! :)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:55 am

It's not fair... :cry:

Why can't PT be touring this year? All this talk of seeing Duran Duran is making me... well, jealous I suppose. I only have ONE gig booked for this year, haven't been to one up to now, and it's 9 April. I mean, it's just unacceptable isn't it? *Fume*

Natasha :( :( :(
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Steerpike on Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:42 pm

sisterlondon wrote:Astronaut, 4 tour dates and I am doing 3 of those. Check DD.com for details, presale tomorrow and general sale later this week. Will be very busy days, travelling up and down, but would be nice saying hello at least! :)

Pre-sale for London is tomorrow (11th April)

http://www.theo2.co.uk/event/duran-duran-20080703.html
Steerpike
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:44 pm

Thank you Sisterlondon and Steerpike for this information! :-D :-D :-D

PS> It's just come to my attention that someone has voted in the poll for 'Other" but doesn't appear to have posted a reply telling us where they'd prefer us all to meet up. That's just plain silly! What's the point of doing that? Other - could be anywhere - I mean if I really had any control over the matter we'd all be meeting up at Mick's house for a cup of tea and biscuit sculptures - but I don't (lucky for him! :twisted: ) so London generally is my preference ... "Other' indeed - tut! tut! :roll:
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to General Discussion