David Sylvian's artistic surname

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

David Sylvian's artistic surname

Postby Nabiky B. on Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:55 pm

Hello to everyone!

i have a question for all the niece people here at this forum ...
and goes like this:

Someone knows Why Mr.Sylvian chooses " Sylvian" as his artistic surname?!

I got two links with two differents answers ... wich it could be true ?
the first one says it was for New york Dolls
the second one says it was for the song "Drive in Saturday" from
Aladine sane album of David Bowie

or there is another answer ?

The Links:

http://theworkout.wordpress.com/2007/04 ... ian-japan/

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/ ... A2000FFA9E

I'll be anxiously waiting for
Thanks to all
Nabiky B.

Nabiky B.
Regular
Regular

Postby Melaszka on Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:01 pm

I always understood it was after Sylvain Sylvain of the New York Dolls (and Steve's was after David Johansen of the same). But I'm probably wrong (as about so much else!). According to The Last Romantic, Hansa were not happy about them changing their names because of the NYD plagiarism.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:46 pm

Melaszka wrote:I always understood it was after Sylvain Sylvain of the New York Dolls (and Steve's was after David Johansen of the same). But I'm probably wrong (as about so much else!). According to The Last Romantic, Hansa were not happy about them changing their names because of the NYD plagiarism.

Wasn't there a recent interview with Steve (in The Wire, I think) confirming that they went through the phone book to find similar surnames to Sylvain and Johansen?

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Lady Arcadia on Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:22 am

Perhaps because he could, so he did change it! - I know that is what I did!!

It is also a variation on a pagan woodland spirit, - I like that idea as his music can be quite out-of-this-worldly....

But, I understood it was the NYD thing.
Lady Arcadia
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:39 am

ellyn sylvian wrote:Perhaps because he could, so he did change it! - I know that is what I did!!

Ellyn, forgive me if this is too personal, but does that mean your surname is really Sylvian? If so, cool :D

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Nabiky B. on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:57 am

Hi!

and thanks for giving your opinions and answers to the Topic ...
so it seems to be that the surname Sylvian it was for NYD as well as Jansen ...

About what you said Natasha ... that they went through the phone book to find similar surnames .... it can be possible
About what Ellyn said ... that it's a variation on a pagan woodland spirit ... it sounds "amazing" ... and i'm agree with you :wink:

Besides girls .... i did a research to the Sylvian surname at "SurmanesOnline.com" and they sent to me a mail saying this:

" ... After an extensive search, our historians did find references to the Sylvian Family records of French origin dating as far back as the 14 -15th century and even further on the main line branch of the family ... "

By the way ... as Natasha said ...if you don't mind Ellyn .... could you tell us if your surname is really Sylvian ? if so ... Fabolous :-D

Thanks girls :P

Nabiky B.

Nabiky B.
Regular
Regular

Postby Lady Arcadia on Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:50 pm

For the two who asked....

Ellyn Sylvian became my legal name a few years ago. (I liked all the Y's in it too!!) I had wanted to change my original name for personal reasons, and thought that I got alot of inspiration and positive vibes from much of David's music that it made sense to change it to Sylvian.

(I did read somewhere that it was quite common to do that back in the early 80s. There were a number of Sylvians, Jansen's and the odd Karn for good measure.)
Lady Arcadia
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvie on Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:31 pm

fabulous!!
Sylvie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Nabiky B. on Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:02 pm

ellyn sylvian wrote:For the two who asked....

Ellyn Sylvian became my legal name a few years ago. (I liked all the Y's in it too!!) I had wanted to change my original name for personal reasons, and thought that I got alot of inspiration and positive vibes from much of David's music that it made sense to change it to Sylvian.

(I did read somewhere that it was quite common to do that back in the early 80s. There were a number of Sylvians, Jansen's and the odd Karn for good measure.)

You are my Hero Ellyn Sylvian :-D

Nabiky B.

Nabiky B.
Regular
Regular

Postby anortherncod on Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:10 pm

ellyn sylvian wrote:For the two who asked....

Props to you Ellyn!

(I have always wanted to change my surname, and my father actually did, thus lumbering me with the surname I've got.)

I think it was quite common but so far I've never spoken to someone who actually did it!

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Lady Arcadia on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:34 pm

I did get quite alot of funny looks at the time, and it was a right pain in the arse when I had change all the papers around. The biggest problem was with my parents, but they had to just get used to it.

I consider it one of the best things I have done so far!! (And for $225 initial cost, a relatively cheap one at that!)
Lady Arcadia
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:26 pm

ellyn sylvian wrote:I did get quite alot of funny looks at the time, and it was a right pain in the arse when I had change all the papers around. The biggest problem was with my parents, but they had to just get used to it.

I consider it one of the best things I have done so far!! (And for $225 initial cost, a relatively cheap one at that!)

I actually think it was a very brave thing to do Ellyn. I mean it can't be easy, emtionally speaking, to change your surname as it comes with so much 'baggage'. Explaining it to your parents must have been the toughest part of it all. Everyone else you can politely ask to mind their own business, but telling your father you no longer want to use his surname - hmmm, difficult. So, respect to you Ellyn Sylvian! ;-) Perhaps I should change mine to Karn? Hmmm, maybe not though, since my surname is already that of not one, but two well known film actors! If it's good enough for them ... ... :D
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to General Discussion