Unofficial DVD releases

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Unofficial DVD releases

Postby Blood of a Poet on Mon May 08, 2006 3:40 pm

Unfortunately there has not been much in the way of official David Sylvian video releases over the years. Because of this the rabid Sylvian fan must be prepared to dip their toes into the uncertain waters of "unofficial" (promo/bootleg) video. Below is a list of such video that I have viewed personally, if you search Ebay you should be able to find these easily:

- Preparations for a Journey: DVD
This appears to be a copy of the Japanese laserdisc release and is quite good as far as quality goes. I own the old Japanese VHS version and this DVD blows the old copy away... it is highly watchable! Most of the video is in non-widescreen 4:3 aspect ratio, however the final section, Steel Catherdrals, is in letterboxed widescreen (as it was on the VHS as well).

- Weatherbox promo videos: VHS
This is a Virgin Records promo video featuring "The Ink In The Well", "Red Guitar", "Silvermoon", and "Orpheus". Quality is good, typical of a commercial VHS release and in standard 4:3 aspect ratio. The VHS sleeve is done in the Weatherbox style of graphics and on the back it states: PROMOTION ONLY NOT FOR RE-SALE.

- In Praise of Shamans Tour: DVD
These DVDs are to be avoided - they are simply bootleg video made by an audience member. During much of the show the image is completely obliterated by someone standing in front of the camera. The sound also suffers on these occasions, becoming extremely muffled. Of course there are no multiple camera angles, etc. This tour is still the holy grail of Sylvian for me as I love David's live band on this tour. Rumor has it that professional footage of this tour exists, but if and when it will surface is anybody's guess.

- Sylvian/Fripp - Live In Japan: CD/DVD
This is a professional release from the Slyvian/Fripp show at the Sunplaza in Nakano, Japan Oct. 26 1993. It does not seem to be considered an official release in North America, however it is easily viewable as it is in NTSC 4:3 format. The quality is very good with multiple camera angels and excellent sound. The release also includes the Damage audio CD all in a nice paper digipak format.

- A Fire In The Forest: DVD
This is a DVD copy from the show that was broadcast on Japanese TV April 24th, 2004 from the Showa Women's University in Tokyo. The image quality is very good with multiple camera angels and excellent sound. Another bonus it that the format is letterboxed widescreen, so if you have a widescreen TV you can watch this in zoom mode and it will fill the screen. One of the highlights of this show is a very hypnotic version of "The Heart Knows Better". David also dips into his older repertoire with "When The Poets Dreamed of Angels" and "Maria" as well as "World Citizen" and "Jean The Birdman". This show is comprised of only David, Steve Jansen and Masakatsu Takagi on video and computer images. A beautifully low-key show - highly recommended.

I will be uploading the covers from these videos to the Gallery here on JapanSylvian.com over the next few days.
~ Blood of a Poet ~
Blood of a Poet
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Blood of a Poet on Tue May 09, 2006 9:55 am

OK, I posted the unofficial (as well as a couple official) video covers in the C O V E R S section of the Photo Album.

Enjoy!
~ Blood of a Poet ~
Blood of a Poet
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby sonic_chronicler on Tue May 09, 2006 10:09 pm

I've got a copy of the Fire in the forest DVD - but for some reason I can't explain (and I am fairly techie-savvy onthese things) the soundtrack can no longer be decoded so it just plays as a white noise accompaniment to the visuals.

Any ideas (or chance of a new copy) gratefully received

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun May 21, 2006 11:01 pm

i don't know what the problem may be... but check ebay for a new copy. I see many of them listed there...
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to General Discussion