Vista blog

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Re: Vista blog

Postby kitaj on Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:22 pm

Wonderful as usual, David - thanks. I'm going to relish reading this one as P&P is one of my favourite records as well.

I bought the LP in 1989 aged 16 as part of an introductory Sylvian buying spree that included Gone to Earth, Secrets of the Beehive, Pop Song, and Flux+Mutability. I remember going to school in the afternoon one day after having put 'Plight' on for its debut play right beforehand and, being in the habit of singing to myself while walking, singing over and over the three-note piano theme at the beginning on my way. Teens and their taste in music...
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby silentwings on Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:20 pm

That's a great story about Plight & Premonition, kitaj. I think it took me quite a few listens to even start to get to grips with the music. Such rewarding listening though.

I've just published a new article about 'When Poets Dreamed of Angels' from Secrets of a Beehive. I spoke to Phil Palmer, the guitarist who, working with Sylvian and Steve Nye, crafted the wonderful acoustic guitar introduction. Amazingly, Phil believes that the first time he heard the finished track since the day he played it was well over 30 years later... Read that story and some memories of the sessions at the link below.

https://sylvianvista.com/2021/07/02/whe ... of-angels/
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:54 pm

I've just published the latest article, this one about 'Snow White in Appalachia' from Manafon. I was delighted to be able to talk to Christian Fennesz about the exploratory sessions which took place in Vienna in 2004, the process of finding the 'gold' that David Sylvian was looking for, and Christian's connecting role across the whole project.

There is also reference to some of the music recorded in Vienna which never made it to the record.

Here's the link: https://sylvianvista.com/2021/07/23/sno ... ppalachia/

footnote: This article is dedicated to the memory of Peter Rehberg, whose story intersects with the people & events recounted here. Today's news of Peter's sudden passing has shocked and saddened so many. May he rest in peace and his friends & family be comforted in their loss.
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:49 pm

Another great blog. This led me to the Noël Akchoté album mentioned (Alike Joseph) and I was absolutely astounded at how much the first track in particular sets the template for Blemish.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby silentwings on Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:09 pm

Thanks Blemished for tracking down 'Alike Joseph' - it's a striking piece of work and, in my opinion, certainly a reference point for some of the sound creation on Blemish.

I've published a new article on the duet 'Ti Ho Aspettato (I Have Waited for You)' by Andrea Chimenti & David Sylvian, as featured on Andrea's 1996 album L'Albero Pazzo.

I loved these occasional collaborations in what seemed like the long wait between the Sylvian/Fripp project and Dead Bees on a Cake. This one seemed special in providing a connection between Sylvian and the Italian music scene, his following being particularly strong in the country.

It was a pleasure to talk to Andrea Chimenti about how the artists came to collaborate and the creation of the song.

Here's the link: https://sylvianvista.com/2021/08/13/ti- ... d-for-you/
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:37 am

Thanks again.
There also was a special edition (unofficial) of the single with four postcards: https://www.discogs.com/Andrea-Chimenti ... se/2237927

Funny you mentioned the Doc-show in your introduction. Years ago I got a dvdr from that show from an Italian musician. The band played four tracks, Orpheus, Taking The Veil, Weathered Wall and Riverman.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:17 pm

In June this year the album Night Blossoms by Melaine Dalibert was released on Yuko Zama's elsewhere label, including electronic sound by David Sylvian on the tracks 'Yin' and 'Yang'.

A release proposal by Sylvian in 2018 was the catalyst for the creation of the label and he has had a hand in all four of Dalibert's albums on elsewhere - culminating in his contribution in sound for Night Blossoms.

The latest article traces the story and includes an interview with Melaine himself.

Here's the link: https://sylvianvista.com/2021/09/03/yin-yang/
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Previous

Return to General Discussion