Vista blog

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Re: Vista blog

Postby javier on Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:13 am

Great article, and fantastic to finally understand the context of "The Church Bells Strike".

Thank you so much for your regular articles. They're the best new Sylvian-related things to come into existence in recent times.
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby silentwings on Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:55 pm

Thank you, javier, for your generous words which are truly appreciated.

I've just published an article on 'Pulling Punches', the opening track from Brilliant Trees. I feel this track is sometimes a little under-appreciated, maybe because of the video which is a firmly 1980s type affair and doesn't compare well with Anton Corbijn's work on 'Red Guitar' and 'The Ink in the Well'. I enjoy it both musically and lyrically.

Sadly the New York musicians brought in by David Sylvian, Wayne Braithwaite and Ronny Drayton, are no longer with us. Before Ronny passed in 2020 he talked extensively about how he became involved in the project and the experience of recording at Hansa by the Wall in Berlin.

There is also a very significant Jean Cocteau influence in the artwork for the single.

Here's the link: https://sylvianvista.com/2021/02/05/pulling-punches/

Thanks for reading.
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:33 pm

The track 'Before and Afterlife' is the subject of the latest article.

First released as a short solo piece in the Visionaire 53: SOUND vinyl box set, it was then developed for inclusion on Arve Henriksen's superb ECM album 'Cartography'.

Sylvian contributed to two of the tracks on that release, also taking responsibility for naming each track.

Jan Bang was co-producer and created a tapestry of sampled sounds to underpin Arve's uniquely sensitive trumpet and Sylvian's poetry, which in this case traces his moves across the States with Ingrid.

Here's the link: https://sylvianvista.com/2021/02/26/bef ... afterlife/
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:30 pm

I've revised and expanded the article on 'Laughter and Forgetting' from Gone to Earth.

From time to time more information comes to light on songs that I've already written about, so it's great to be able to go back and incorporate additional detail.

John Taylor and Kenny Wheeler's work on this is sublime. Do check out the track 'Fordor' mentioned in the article, it's one of many gems in their recorded output - like some lost out-take from the sessions that gave us 'Laughter and Forgetting.'

Here's the link: https://sylvianvista.com/2018/08/24/lau ... orgetting/
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:28 pm

I've just published a new article on David Sylvian's Everything and Nothing tour of 2001/2.

The was Keith Lowe's first time working with Sylvian, playing electric and acoustic bass in the band. In an exclusive interview, Keith talks about how he came to be involved, the band rehearsals including the way songs were shaped for performance, aspects of the stage-craft, and many other memories from the tour.

I saw this show over two nights in Hammersmith, London. In the preceding years I'd doubted that I'd ever see Sylvian play live again, but there he was playing songs from Japan to new material. Great memories.

Here's the link: https://sylvianvista.com/2021/03/19/cov ... wers-live/
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby javier on Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:16 am

I just listened to Fordor by Wheeler and Taylor.
Your description of it as reminiscent of Laughter and Forgetting is absolutely spot-on. Gorgeous stuff. Thanks for the recommendation.
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby silentwings on Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:38 pm

Thanks javier for listening to 'Fordor'. I truly love that piece!

To let everyone know: I've just published a new article on 'Song', the final striking section of David Sylvian's collaboration with Pulitzer Prize winning poet, Franz Wright. I will never forget hearing Franz's voice for the first time, during the premiere of The Kilowatt Hour trio of Sylvian/Fennesz/Mathieu at the Punkt festival in 2013.

Wright confronts mental anguish, suffering and mortality in the works featured in those shows and then subsequently in the release there's a light that enters houses with no other house in sight. He was facing his own serious illness, and sadly died in 2015.

During those final years Wright made hours of home recordings which came together in a film released in 2019, Franz Wright: Last Words. Franz's wife Elizabeth Oehlkers Wright told me about the poet's work with David Sylvian, those digital files created in his final years, and putting them together for the film.

Hearing that familiar voice once again in Last Words is a profound experience.

Here's the link: https://sylvianvista.com/2021/04/09/song/
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Previous

Return to General Discussion