Has Japan inspired you to write your own music....

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Postby kinki on Sat May 27, 2006 11:54 am

Hmmm, yes, I'm probably a cross between a pagan and a buddhist in that I love nature and I believe in being spiritual in daily life. Im also starting to believe in some form of re-incarnation.....

That thing David mentions about living totally in the moment Im doing more and more of, and finding it increasingly satisfying. I think I see it as my own form of meditation. It really makes you value each second.
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat May 27, 2006 12:45 pm

totally agree kinki
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Has Japan inspired you to write your own music....

Postby lennbob on Mon May 29, 2006 1:44 pm

kinki wrote:....take interesting photos, make sculpture...etc? Or simply wear lots of make-up and weird and wonderful clothes when you go out?

As far as photos, music, and art go, most definitely! I was never much for spending tons of cash on clothes, nor did I ever experiment with hair and make-up - which means fewer embarrassing "What the hell was I thinking?!) type pictures to look back on. But I was inspired to do some of the other things.

I've pretty much always been into photography, but I have been influenced a lot by what I've seen on album covers and whatnot. After I got the Perspectives book, I did a few of the Polaroid things, for example. These days, my camera of choice is digital, and I largely prefer abstract images.

Musically? Big influence. In fact, I put out several DIY albums (one CD, several tapes) in the mid-90's under the name Tinty Music. (Stupid name, but I never thought of anything that I thought was better.) Sylvian's instrumentals were a major source of inspiration.

In fact, a friend of mine from the Sylvian list got a copy of my Weightlessness CD to Ingrid when they lived in Minneapolis and she was doing some sort of radio show. I doubt that this had anything to do with the "weightless" lyric in "Wanderlust", but I'd like to think that maybe it did. (My own personal brush with fame?)

Some of my more recent efforts (especially the photos) can be found on my web site:
http://web.mac.com/lennbob/iWeb/TintyMusic/Home.html

Kevin
lennbob
Noob
Noob

Postby Blood of a Poet on Mon May 29, 2006 2:46 pm

Kevin,

Welcome to JapanSylvian.com :!:

It's very cool that you lived in Japan, there are some folks over on the Ever been to Japan? topic that would love to hear about what it was like to live there.

Also, every registered user here gets their own personal photo gallery. If you would like to upload some of your work it would be great!
~ Blood of a Poet ~
Blood of a Poet
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Silver Moon on Tue May 30, 2006 11:57 pm

Hey

Sorry to get off topic- But a few posts ago I threatened to post some pics of my new hair, but he never showed up! Well, I finally got it done and you can see the silliness in my personal gallery *Gulps* Hope you have a good laugh...

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed May 31, 2006 6:49 am

lenbob... so awesome to hear about your experiences. I look forward to hearing many more great things about you :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Wed May 31, 2006 8:02 am

Silver Moon wrote:Hey

Sorry to get off topic- But a few posts ago I threatened to post some pics of my new hair, but he never showed up! Well, I finally got it done and you can see the silliness in my personal gallery *Gulps* Hope you have a good laugh...

-Kera-

Coo---I'll go check it out!!!!!
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Wed May 31, 2006 9:25 am

John T, I've just listened to your music.....very much enjoyed it. I can hear definite Japan/Karn influences, and there was shades of Rush in there too, particularly in 'Islands' (hope you're not offended by that comparison).

Very impressed. And what a resume. Huge respect to you. Will listen to the rest of the album when I've time.
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lastgoldstar on Wed May 31, 2006 3:57 pm

Silver Moon wrote:Hey

-Kera-

Righteous! I love it! :-D I wish I had the courage to do that- not so much the colour, but the cut.

I was going to post pictures after I re-did my hair, but I got a bit too experimental with new products (I was just going to retouch my highlights and add some more) and ended up bleaching the left side of my head, ha ha!
I've basically got it fixed but I've posted some old pictures, anyway. :wink:
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Wed May 31, 2006 4:04 pm

Hey! I think Mick Karn did that at one time, too between Quiet life and GTP I think??

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby kinki on Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:46 am

Title for a great new book of lovely glossy pics.

'Hairstyles I have known and loved - by Mick Karn'

Heh.
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Previous

Return to General Discussion