03 Me262
04 Godzilla
05 Summer of Love
06 5 Guitar Medley (Mark II)
07 Born to be Wild
08 (Don't Fear) The Reaper
[ Rest of Setlist Unknown ]

Roy Knowles

Let's get this straight - nothing will ever compare with seeing BOC for the first time. (see my review - my first BOC gig Nov 1975). But now they were my band. I lived and breathed the BOC. I had waited nearly 3 years to see them again and I was going to love every minute of the show - I would even watch the support band, it meant that much to me. As it was such a celebration (and I was nearly the legal age) we went out for a few beers before the show - fortunately not as many as the guy sat next to me in the stalls at the Free Trade Hall. My abiding memory from watching Japan was this bloke from Sheffield looking at the lead singer David Sylvian, and saying " I'd give her one" When I pointed out that it was actually a man, he replied " I don't care, any port in a storm".

Dave Robinson

Incidentally, talking about support acts, the Manchester show opened with Japan, who were at that time in a sort of glam-rock, heavy makeup and spandex phase ( very New York Dolls ) ! Hard to imagine that this was the same Japan who later produced all the new-romantic type stuff a few years later.
"Well, welcome to the ocean, welcome to the sea, welcome to the jungle deep inside of me.."
S4pB
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: The Blue Oyster Cult Project:1978

Postby heartofdavid on Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:35 pm

S4pB wrote:My abiding memory from watching Japan was this bloke from Sheffield looking at the lead singer David Sylvian, and saying " I'd give her one" When I pointed out that it was actually a man, he replied " I don't care, any port in a storm.

I love it! :D
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:47 pm

LMAO!!!! :lol:
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:38 pm

That is classic!!!! :lol:

Funnily enough though, back in the eighties when I worked at a very tiny amusement park in a very tiny beachside tourist town, BOC came to play a date at a local hot spot, and the next night before leaving town they came to the park to play minature golf, on the very course I was stationed at that night!!! Needless to say I recognized who they were (well, at least Buck Dharma)and after wondering why the heck they were still in town and playing mini golf, I did get their autographs and I have them displayed in my music room today!!!!!
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:39 pm

krausy wrote:That is classic!!!! :lol:

Funnily enough though, back in the eighties when I worked at a very tiny amusement park in a very tiny beachside tourist town, BOC came to play a date at a local hot spot, and the next night before leaving town they came to the park to play minature golf, on the very course I was stationed at that night!!! Needless to say I recognized who they were (well, at least Buck Dharma)and after wondering why the heck they were still in town and playing mini golf, I did get their autographs and I have them displayed in my music room today!!!!!

Awesome!

Nosferatu is one of their best songs.
http://www.myspace.com/hanoi123
Meyrav wrote:Can you imagine David sitting on an elephant topless?!
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby tallulahtaurus on Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:00 am

My abiding memory from watching Japan was this bloke from Sheffield looking at the lead singer David Sylvian, and saying " I'd give her one" When I pointed out that it was actually a man, he replied " I don't care, any port in a storm".

HA HA HA HA
Funniest thing ever, Danke.
"This island of blue
Where life clings to your hands
Like water and sand
Will loose it's way when you're gone"
tallulahtaurus
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby John Trevethan on Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:48 am

krausy wrote:That is classic!!!! :lol:

Krausy,

I might have been there! Was this along the Grand Strand at Myrtle Beach? I would vacation in MB every year and in the early eighties I remember seeing a poster announcing BOC playing at some sort of large hall right on the beach. This was very near the amusement park with the big wooden roller coaster. If this is where you were I might have played mini golf at the place you were working at.

I didn't actually go to the BOC show, by this time I had my nose too far in the air with post punk and new wave to consider going to a show of "old rockers". :-) Even though BOC in Erie, PA was the 2nd show I ever attended as a young teen in the mid 70's... (Manfred Mann was the opener.) They were touring their 3rd album "Secret Treaties" at the time.
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby krausy on Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:32 pm

John T----

I should have thought about this when I posted, but you brought it up so now I can clarify.

Actually, I was in North Carolina and they played an old beach club in Atlantic Beach. I now remember that there is an area near Myrtle Beach SC that is called Atlantic Beach too. The park I worked at was called Jungleland (now torn down)and funnily enough was owned by a gentleman named Sanford Miles, who also owned Pine Lakes Country Club in Myrtle Beach. I know there were/are several miniature golf places on the strand, some of them called Junglegolf, but I don't believe Mr. Miles owned any of those.

So anyway, the guys from BOC were in Atlantic Beach NC when I encountered them. They very well could have played Myrtle Beach on that same tour (would make sense as it is only four hours away) or at least at other times back then.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby S4pB on Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:47 am

tallulahtaurus wrote:
My abiding memory from watching Japan was this bloke from Sheffield looking at the lead singer David Sylvian, and saying " I'd give her one" When I pointed out that it was actually a man, he replied " I don't care, any port in a storm".

HA HA HA HA
Funniest thing ever, Danke.

Bitte, Hon!
"Well, welcome to the ocean, welcome to the sea, welcome to the jungle deep inside of me.."
S4pB
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby liberty boy on Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:13 am

Funnily enough about the Japan supporting BOC in Sheffield. My friend actually went to see BOC at the City hall and caught tend minutes of Japan. All he remembers is all the girls walking out when Japan left the stage. Struck by this he told this to some woman at work and he heard from her that David Sylvian was a bit of heart throb. Which goes to show they had some sort of fame even at this stage.
liberty boy
Regular
Regular

Postby S4pB on Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:04 pm

liberty boy wrote:Funnily enough about the Japan supporting BOC in Sheffield. My friend actually went to see BOC at the City hall and caught tend minutes of Japan. All he remembers is all the girls walking out when Japan left the stage. Struck by this he told this to some woman at work and he heard from her that David Sylvian was a bit of heart throb. Which goes to show they had some sort of fame even at this stage.

Well, I think almost everyone who went onstage would get at least few "fans", 'cause the crowd is big and tastes are different, but it still amusing bacause of the fact public tend to love everything ORDINARY, blank and easy to understand, and also is heavily influencded by gender stereotypes...
Thank You for sharing such a memories!
xx
S4pB
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to General Discussion